Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
As from today, i'm now the proud owner of an allotment. At the moment, it's just a 10m square grass patch....on solid clay :facepalm: So tomorrow, i'll make a start digging some of it as it's a recognised form of excecise.

Can't wait.

That's not an allotment. That's an allittlement!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The quickest and simplest way to improve a lawn visually is to apply "Weed & Feed". Read the instructions to ensure that dogs, kids etc stay safe. The most important thing about applying this is to use the correct dosage. If the instructions say e.g. 20 gms / m2, ensure that this is exactly what goes down. You can apply it by hand wearing suitable protective gloves, but it must be spread evenly, otherwise you'll get dead bits and bits that stay the same. It's quite a skill to do this by hand so take your time and be careful to get it on as even as possible. If you use a spreader which is preferable, it must be calibrated exactly right.
After applying, water like buggery! It probably says this on the instructions. Quite a good idea to do this when rain is imminent.

I mowed my grass Sunday, ready for a midweek weed and feed. With no sign of rain, I normally leave it a couple of days between putting the weed and feed on and watering it in. Are you suggesting that I should water it immediately after applying it ?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I mowed my grass Sunday, ready for a midweek weed and feed. With no sign of rain, I normally leave it a couple of days between putting the weed and feed on and watering it in. Are you suggesting that I should water it immediately after applying it ?

Yes, otherwise it could burn the grass.Watering will take the "fire" out of it. Be careful not to flood your lawn otherwise all the weed and feed will be washed in to concentrated areas and you'll end up with dead patches. You should apply the water like you would spray-paint. Do that each day and watch the magic happen!
Before and after photos would be interesting.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It's not the size that matters G, it's what you do with it (apparently)
Absolutely. I have to admit though that yours is bigger than mine!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Tan coloured flying insect the size of a wasp with a long proboscis anyone, slightly triangle shaped head, uniformly tan all over, no stripes, a pair of them working their way across the garden flowers yesterday. Closest thing I can find is a Bombylius Major, but different shade of brown and poss not seen in UK.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Don't forget to pee on it!!

Yes, otherwise it could burn the grass.Watering will take the "fire" out of it. Be careful not to flood your lawn otherwise all the weed and feed will be washed in to concentrated areas and you'll end up with dead patches. You should apply the water like you would spray-paint. Do that each day and watch the magic happen!
Before and after photos would be interesting.

I finally allowed Jnr out, under the cover of darkness, to 'fertilze' his shrub.

Wild horses couldn't have held him back, although he did say next doors security light was a little off-putting! :lol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Don't forget to pee on it!!

I finally allowed Jnr out, under the cover of darkness, to 'fertilze' his shrub.

Wild horses couldn't have held him back, although he did say next doors security light was a little off-putting! :lol:

Once a week only. We don't want him to kill it! Get him to water it after he's peed on it. This will aid dilution and mineral intake. Perhaps Photinia training rather than potty training is the way forwards? Remember - NO SOLIDS!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here