Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Alternate slug removal.
Slug pub. Waste of beer but does work

Often worth having a chat with your local landlord if he can save some of the waste beer when they change a barrel etc. Sink the containers into the ground and then cover them with an old roofing tile or something....Change the beer regularly....pi$$ed up dead slug absolutely stink.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Alternate slug removal.
Grapefruit half. Eat the grapefruit, put the remainder upside down. Requires removal of molluscs each day. Effective
Nightly recce to affected area. Requires removal of molluscs
Some say chopped garlic/onions/chives works. Makes me heave
There are a few others, but I've not tried them

This one, I find strangely therapeutic (not for the slug obv), wandering round in the complete silence of night with a torch, probably talking to the slugs. You may see other nocturnal stuff knocking around as well....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Could do with a bit of rain locally....perhaps not so good when you have to queue out in the open to get into the supermarket ....but ground is bone hard ...ive got quite a few seeding jobs outstanding, but I’m not going to touch them until this dry period breaks .....might get a splash Friday night but barely worth it if forecast isn’t correct

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Alternate slug removal.
Grapefruit half. Eat the grapefruit, put the remainder upside down. Requires removal of molluscs each day. Effective
Nightly recce to affected area. Requires removal of molluscs
Some say chopped garlic/onions/chives works. Makes me heave
There are a few others, but I've not tried them

I haven't tried it myself yet but I'm told that cold tea (no milk or sugar) works in slug pubs too.

I use the nightly torch and bucket approach, and hedgehogs and frogs seem to enjoy the rest - which is why I avoid using pellets.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Not heard about cold tea for slugs and snails, but I've used it as a boost for in ground camelias and rhododendrons. I'll have to have a read up
edit
I've not found any reference to tea for the slimeys, but coffee grounds apparently work.
Another one I came across, was epsom salts. I use it to 'green up' certain plants, but the ones I used it on are not an attractive meal for the gastropods.
I'm going to have to persevere with the garlic spray, it works to keep cats out as well. Garlic really upsets my stomach, but so does cat sh*t

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, otherwise it could burn the grass.Watering will take the "fire" out of it. Be careful not to flood your lawn otherwise all the weed and feed will be washed in to concentrated areas and you'll end up with dead patches. You should apply the water like you would spray-paint. Do that each day and watch the magic happen!
Before and after photos would be interesting.

Before and Afters of a couple of my better bits of lawn, mowed Sunday before last, Weed and Feed last Wednesday, mowed again today. Second bit suffers with moss and Mind-your-own-business, because of the shade. Although I have been leaving it longer and the Mind-your-own-business seems to be dying out.

Mick phone 082.jpgMick phone 098.jpg
Mick phone 083.jpgMick phone 100.jpg

I learn so much from you, Jevs, Lamie and Coldeanseagull on here. Today, for instance, I learnt that I really should get a new phone with a better Camera :wink:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Before and Afters of a couple of my better bits of lawn, mowed Sunday before last, Weed and Feed last Wednesday, mowed again today. Second bit suffers with moss and Mind-your-own-business, because of the shade. Although I have been leaving it longer and the Mind-your-own-business seems to be dying out.

View attachment 122266View attachment 122267
View attachment 122268View attachment 122269

I learn so much from you, Jevs, Lamie and Coldeanseagull on here. Today, for instance, I learnt that I really should get a new phone with a better Camera :wink:
Thanks. Looks like the magic is happening?! We're here to help. :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My lawn was attacked overnight by something grubbing up little holes...

What creature is the most likely culprit?
What is the best way to stop it happening?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Photos are a "must". One quite close up and another from about 1m away.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Foxes or hedgehogs and even certain birds. They're eating worms, beetles and other grubs.
Concrete! Failing that, I have some top soil set aside to go round and back fill

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

I get a lot of problems with Foxes digging up the grass in the Rockery. They're after the leatherjackets and worms which are full of protein for their cubs.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

View attachment 122266View attachment 122267
View attachment 122268View attachment 122269

It's looking good, but who's the naughty chair for?:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All this seed germination, planting indoors, then transferring into the flower bed is a load of old bollox right?

Jnr cleared out 10ft of border, so as a present I bought 4 packs of different poppy seeds.
Mixed them up.
Scattered across the bed.
Gave it a rake and a water.

Bish bosh job done.

They'll be alright, won't they?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
All this seed germination, planting indoors, then transferring into the flower bed is a load of old bollox right?

Jnr cleared out 10ft of border, so as a present I bought 4 packs of different poppy seeds.
Mixed them up.

Bish bosh job done.

Yes, but for a more selective summer display, you'll have to do the seed germination, planting indoors, then transferring into the flower bed old bollox

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, but for a more selective summer display, you'll have to do the seed germination, planting indoors, then transferring into the flower bed old bollox
So I can say I was going for the 'wild meadow' look and in the process saved myself a right old ballache.

Happy days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I even took an 'after sowing' pic, in the hope I can do before & after photographs.

Fortunately I didn't do a before before photo as you'd have all turned on my for being a disgrace to garden ownership.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Mixed them up.

Bish bosh job done.

Yes, but make sure you dead-head them the moment the flowers die otherwise you will have poppies there for eternity.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's looking good, but who's the naughty chair for?:lolol:

It's for Mrs Wz. We have a bloody great terrace running right across the back of the house but she insists on me building another little patio right down there as it's the last place in the Garden that keeps the sun :rant:.............. and relax

But it's under a Yew tree and nothing will grow there, although I am training a Clematis Montana all the way around the fence underneath :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, but make sure you dead-head them the moment the flowers die otherwise you will have poppies there for eternity.

You People of the Garden really don't get this.

Poppies there for eternity sounds to me like

No gardening there for eternity :thumbsup:

All I've got to do now is see how they take to the annual autumn 'get the hedge trimmer out, we're going gardening'. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here