Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks for this! Any tips of position? I have a fairly small garden so not really sure where I'll fit six but they came in a pack of six.

It is pretty sheltered though so will hopefully be ok on that front. I expect my daughter will attack them with a football instead.

The only tip you need is water, water, water, certainly for this summer. That will establish them. Then just let them get on with it.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The quickest and simplest way to improve a lawn visually is to apply "Weed & Feed". Read the instructions to ensure that dogs, kids etc stay safe. The most important thing about applying this is to use the correct dosage. If the instructions say e.g. 20 gms / m2, ensure that this is exactly what goes down. You can apply it by hand wearing suitable protective gloves, but it must be spread evenly, otherwise you'll get dead bits and bits that stay the same. It's quite a skill to do this by hand so take your time and be careful to get it on as even as possible. If you use a spreader which is preferable, it must be calibrated exactly right.
After applying, water like buggery! It probably says this on the instructions. Quite a good idea to do this when rain is imminent.

Thank you, I'll look into what options are available and give it a go. It's amazing what difference running a lover over it can do, but it definitely needs something more.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Thanks for this! Any tips of position? I have a fairly small garden so not really sure where I'll fit six but they came in a pack of six.

It is pretty sheltered though so will hopefully be ok on that front. I expect my daughter will attack them with a football instead.

They flower better in full sun, but are quite resilient. It's just a shame they only flower for a month.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thank you, I'll look into what options are available and give it a go. It's amazing what difference running a lover over it can do, but it definitely needs something more.
A new one on me, but if it works for you...:ohmy:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
As from today, i'm now the proud owner of an allotment. At the moment, it's just a 10m square grass patch....on solid clay :facepalm: So tomorrow, i'll make a start digging some of it as it's a recognised form of excecise.

Can't wait.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As from today, i'm now the proud owner of an allotment. At the moment, it's just a 10m square grass patch....on solid clay :facepalm: So tomorrow, i'll make a start digging some of it as it's a recognised form of excecise.

Can't wait.

How much topsoil do you have ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have just tidied up my Ceanothus.

Upon completion I was rather kicking myself for not taking a before and after shot.

Having been 'hedge trimmer' trimmed to within an inch of it's life, last Autumn, (scholars of this thread might already be sensing a pattern forming as to how le Jardin du Stat is maintained) it was looking very sorry for itself with loads of dead branches.

Now that's all been removed what looked like a plant that was frozen in time, suddenly looks transformed, full of life with hundreds of new shoots waiting to burst forth.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All I have at the moment is a rake, spade and a fork

I meant, how deep is the soil before you get to the clay bed ?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I meant, how deep is the soil before you get to the clay bed ?

There isn't any, it's just solid clay :lol: It's basically a field with 70, 10x10m square plots which have been there for 5 years. There's probably about 3 plots left. I have the use of a decent Gem rotorvator plus a smaller tiller and....I have roundup!!!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There isn't any, it's just solid clay :lol: It's basically a field with 70, 10x10m square plots which have been there for 5 years. There's probably about 3 plots left. I have the use of a decent Gem rotorvator plus a smaller tiller and....I have roundup!!!!!

so, no soil ? just clay ? could be problematic. maybe buy a Potter's Wheel instead of a rotorvator ?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Clay is good for growing things. Though a nightmare if you're planning to dig it over. Can you build raised beds and fill with compost? Then you don't have to dig the clay, but the plants get all the good nutrients that clay offers? Also don't stand on it if you can!

Any plans for what you'll grow?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Clay is good for growing things. Though a nightmare if you're planning to dig it over. Can you build raised beds and fill with compost? Then you don't have to dig the clay, but the plants get all the good nutrients that clay offers? Also don't stand on it if you can!

been watching on you tube the theory and tests of no dig growing. results look really impressive. there are various benefits, including fewer weeds, less back ache etc.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

Yeah that's an option. I'm going to dig and prepare about a quarter of the plot for some courgettes, beetroot, spring onions etc and then make a start preparing the rest of it for next year. I've probably taken it on at a good time to be honest as i can a few things in this year whilst preparing for next year

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
been watching on you tube the theory and tests of no dig growing. results look really impressive. there are various benefits, including fewer weeds, less back ache etc.

I've seen the No-Dig gardening on You Tube, Charles Dowding has many You Tube programs showing how easy it is and how productive it is....only thing is, you need LOADS of well rotted manure, loads !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeah that's an option. I'm going to dig and prepare about a quarter of the plot for some courgettes, beetroot, spring onions etc and then make a start preparing the rest of it for next year. I've probably taken it on at a good time to be honest as i can a few things in this year whilst preparing for next year

With there being little rain over the last 2/3 weeks i bet thats rock hard :D

18C for the next three days lovely just right to work in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here