Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was going to ask the question of where can I get potting compost and growbags from as everything is shut but I can answer it myself now.
B&Q shops are running a click & collect service. You buy online, when your order is ready they email you and arrange a collection time, then you drive into their car-park and a member of staff will bring your order out to you.
Order before 4pm and you can collect after 1pm the next day. The shops are 'open' 8am-5pm.

Thought I'd share this with anyone who is planning on any gardening or d-i-y etc.

Good shout. Think most supermarkets are selling compost too? My Morrisons is anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3 photos would be very useful.
The whole plant, quite close up, very close up.

As you wish, apologies if these come out maaahooosive, resizing pictures isn't a skill I ever mastered:-

IMG_20200405_183523.jpg

IMG_20200405_183530.jpg

IMG_20200405_183542.jpg

The stick on the left is the one that was away from the previous root ball.
That came out with a hint of root,
The other stick with most of the foliage, such as it is, was just that a stick!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Give me spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees please?

A rather sneering response. Enjoying a few simple pleasures is a massively underrated aspect of the “Game of Life”. You should find better targets than suburban gardeners for your holy rifle...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My order of peonies is coming in from Thomson and Morgan this week - anyone got any tips? I have ordered six and they look rather large so not sure I actually have space. Will some be ok in pots?

Great minds. I ordered plants for my hanging baskets from them on Saturday but also included 6 peonies. If it was two of each of this collection

PEON-T72035-A.jpg

I'll let you know :wink:

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
As you wish, apologies if these come out maaahooosive, resizing pictures isn't a skill I ever mastered:-

View attachment 121811

View attachment 121812

View attachment 121813

The stick on the left is the one that was away from the previous root ball.
That came out with a hint of root,
The other stick with most of the foliage, such as it is, was just that a stick!
It doesn't look too bad at all.
My advice would be to dig out a saucer shaped shallow bowl around the base, about 0.75 m in diameter, and fill it with water on a daily basis for a week. This sounds nuts, but after the first few days of doing this, piss in a bucket (any container would do!), and tip that on. Basically, piss is liquid fertilizer. Water daily for another week and add more piss, then watch!
I would love to see how it progresses, so more photos appreciated as time goes by.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
A tip with peonies, don't plant them too deep. Don't be too disappointed with the lack of flowers for the first couple of years, it takes them that long to establish. Choose your site carefully as they don't like being moved. One last observation. It will blow a hooley when they're in flower, the big, showy flowers will be trashed by the wind and rain....happens to me every year!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My advice would be to dig out a saucer shaped shallow bowl around the base, about 0.75 m in diameter, and fill it with water on a daily basis for a week. This sounds nuts, but after the first few days of doing this, piss in a bucket (any container would do!), and tip that on. Basically, piss is liquid fertilizer. Water daily for another week and add more piss, then watch!
I would love to see how it progresses, so more photos appreciated as time goes by.
I'm sure Jnr will take great delight in pissing near it.
He won't even care if you're winding us up.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Yeah, but only of the end result, not the compost making!!???
I have a bucket in my greenhouse for such additions to my composting regime

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A tip with peonies, don't plant them too deep. Don't be too disappointed with the lack of flowers for the first couple of years, it takes them that long to establish. Choose your site carefully as they don't like being moved. One last observation. It will blow a hooley when they're in flower, the big, showy flowers will be trashed by the wind and rain....happens to me every year!

I'm putting them into a bed that has some very well established peonies filling some gaps, and I know what you mean about wind and rain although luckily, mine are very sheltered. But because the other ones have been there forever, I wasn't aware how long it may take them to get established :thumbsup:

Note to [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] - probably not best in pots then.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Could you be VERY clear, what the photos should be of :glare:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Council maintained grass in Brighton and Hove isn't being cut at the moment for obvious reasons. I'm sure there will be people contacting the Parks' office to complain that their verges are a good six inches high!

A real question. When I came back last September it seemed the weeds in the paving slabs along the length of the Old Shoreham Road were about a metre high! It looked awful. Was this a planned policy?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My order of peonies is coming in from Thomson and Morgan this week - anyone got any tips? I have ordered six and they look rather large so not sure I actually have space. Will some be ok in pots?

Unsure on Paoenies in pots, they DETEST root disturbance.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A real question. When I came back last September it seemed the weeds in the paving slabs along the length of the Old Shoreham Road were about a metre high! It looked awful. Was this a planned policy?
If it was the Hove stretch rather than the Adur bit, I know that Brighton & Hove Council stopped using Glyphosate last year, hence the weeds wouldn't have been sprayed. It will be interesting to see how weeds in pavements will be dealt with in the future. All alternative methods tried so far have either been too expensive or too time consuming. It could be back to good old hoe!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
God from the moment I mentioned your advise, it was all I could do to stop Jnr walking out there with newspaper under his arm!!!
Tell him pee, not poo. Poo from animals that eat grass only!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If it was the Hove stretch rather than the Adur bit, I know that Brighton & Hove Council stopped using Glyphosate last year, hence the weeds wouldn't have been sprayed. It will be interesting to see how weeds in pavements will be dealt with in the future. All alternative methods tried so far have either been too expensive or too time consuming. It could be back to good old hoe!

Thank you. Have to be honest, I am in the process of stocking up on ‘Roundup’ and systemic insecticides before they are banned. I know their downsides, but they are effective, and my small use in a private garden ain’t gonna make a lot of odds after most other use has been stopped.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I would like to improve my lawn this year.

It is currently not too bad but has lots of weeds of many varieties. The area is approx. 300 square yards.

What are the best currently available options to remove all the weeds and also improve the grass?

Also on weedkilling, I’d like to finally do my side of the house terrace area discussed on the other GQT thread. Can I get online the right material to nuke everything growing there?

I'd alsonlike any advice going about this as well. Dogs and neglect have ravished my back garden but when I've had parks to take the boy to I've not been too bothered, but obviously now I've got the time to devote to giving him a decent play area and somewhere for us to have a BBQ every now and again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here