Garcia: <redacted>

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Oh I see. Thank you. I assumed when Barber said the budget was the same that we'd be able to spend the same as last season.

Tell you what - I'll concede that the club should have been clearer when they originally said this. Based on our signings, I've concluded that the vast majority of the budget has been used for wages/signing on fees and the like. Think it raised expectations re: transfer fees, when that isn't what they had in mind.
Ahh well. What's done is done.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This was the line which immediately leapt out from the Oscar piece.

But the club has now responded to the issue on Twitter and clarified the context of the comment, i.e. overall budget NOT playing budget - which actually increased.

I can understand why people jumped on the line about drop in budget but now it has been explained, isn't it really a non issue now?

The fact is Oscar, Burke et al have an increased budget to work with. That has now been confirmed by numerous people within the club.

I seem to remember Poyet managing to get the wage/transfer budgets unified last season. So the budget is now far more flexible. What they don't spend on transfers they can now spend on wages (I think that was the upshot of it).

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well considering we've spent considerably less on transfer fees this season, we can expect a big signing in January then?

Just added another paragraph to previous post.

I think the flexibility Poyet pushed for means the playing budget is now one flexible pot rather than one for wages and one for transfer fees. It might be we have a higher actual wage bill but spend less on actual transfer fees.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well considering we've spent considerably less on transfer fees this season, we can expect a big signing in January then?

I don't expect so... as I said, this lot must be on a fair WHACK between them....

Bruno, Kuszczak, Orlandi, Ulloa, Crofts, Andrews, CMS, Ward, Agustein, Upson, Greer, Calderon, Conway, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Buckley, Ince and now Lita on loan.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

A contract can be just, or more, expensive than a transfer fee. I think it is dangerous to get wrapped up in fees, when a lot of the money changing hands is invisible to us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Tell you what - I'll concede that the club should have been clearer when they originally said this. Based on our signings, I've concluded that the vast majority of the budget has been used for wages/signing on fees and the like. Think it raised expectations re: transfer fees, when that isn't what they had in mind.
Ahh well. What's done is done.

I wouldn't assume they didn't have that in mind. If not to raise expectations, then to keep fans happy by being clever with what they say.

It should also be noted that even loan deals can (and I think increasingly often do) include loan fees on top of paying at least a portion of the players' wages.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Don't worry chaps, when Sunderland come in for Bridcutt in January we'll have an extra couple of million to reinvest..

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What and where are these statistics?

Don't have them to hand but it is covered in the book Soccernomics. Fairly interesting read.

Basically suggest in one chapter that teams tend to finish in the league pretty much in line with where their wage bill sits in that division. The top managers are those who get their team up a few places.

It suggest transfer fees paid has less impact than total wage bill.

Also makes a very strong argument for not letting managers decide which players to sign on their own.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sounds like a total non event this thread.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People may note that the article in question now has no mention of budgets:

“It’s not easy,” says Garcia. “Barcelona, they’ve been playing like this for 25 years. All the people here know the problems we have with Financial Fair Play. Our budget went down, but for me it is a big success that we have full crowds every game, and most of the fans are enjoying how we are playing.”

...has become...

“It’s not easy,” says Garcia. “Barcelona, they’ve been playing like this for 25 years. All the people here know the problems we have with Financial Fair Play but for me it is a big success that we have full crowds every game, and most of the fans are enjoying how we are playing.”

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Added how many of our league opposition recently built a new stadium and then on top of that had to fork out again for a new high class training facilities.

Gotta walk before you can run.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Says to me the paranoid reaction of the fans led to the club feeling the need to clarify and the paper being obliging because they understood.

Indeed. Which says much as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports