Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gai Assulin Video

He's had a fairly good start so far. Impressed by how strong he is and the fact he doesn't go to ground.

His first touch and close control is different class. Cardiff generally neutralised him last night by trying to kick lumps out of him constantly.

Well, I noticed that our other latin import was not in the squad due to "lack of match fitness" (a questionable statement in itself!).
The game at this level does require players who can rise above the lumpers and cloggers, and industrial boot-in tackers. I remember Ward, as a VERY slight lad, took the piss out of those lugs.
Vicente did manage to make impressions in his appearances - but he's not getting appearances because, umm, he's not getting appearances or something. ???

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
He didn't sound too impressed to be at Brighton on a radio interview just now. Barcelona to Man City to Brighton, chin up son it's only a month. I don't think he'll be extending his loan :)

"I like training with the best players. Now it's.......different"

He has changed his mind then. Travelled down with his girlfriend from London Bridge on Saturday evening. (What a beauty).

She said he loves being at the club and they both really like Brighton, the city.:)

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Good news then I suppose, although after last nights performance he seemed to be lacking speed, maybe still not fit yet? Razak only seemed to be looking for his Man City mate and it didn't work too well with both of them playing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm WAITING for you to really rub my nose in it about this flair player we signed.
I just know you will, as soon as he....er..... proves to be as exciting as your 11 and 13year-olds say he is.

Well my 11 year old wasn't there last night, because he's er, 11 (and we don't get home until midnight).

Older lad thought he had great touch and balance, but needed to get his head up earlier. And also that he didn't really seem sure where he was supposed to be playing. Hope this helps.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This is a good, no-committal post.
I'm more interested to read your assessment - based on some of what is in that post.
Do the players around him, the core squad, respond well and does he interract with them?
Do you think he warrants a place over another squad member, or that a space should be made for him to fit into in the side?
Are the others 'fired up'?
Shouldn't it be he who comes off the bench, and suggests to others that they have to have a good impact first or be substituted?
Does he display a 'continental style' that might be the way we should be heading, and like Barca in the football era of today?
What did he appear to bring to the field, generally, as you saw it? (assuming you did, of course)

I didn't see the match. I was ill (still am). Noone played an excellent part in Barnes's goal. Ran the channel as the training manual says. The defender would want to send him across goal on his wrong foot. But Noone wrong-footed the entire Cardiff defence. Bellamy take note.

Nothing in the video made me think Assulin can change direction like Noone or Kazenga. Most of the time on the video he ran into defenders and got a foul.

Good to take him on trial to see of he can improve the squad. I just did not see anything to go overboard about.

PS: Just seen the video again. Assulin seems to have an awareness that the current players may not be able to learn. And he changed direction quite often. Or it could be the poor standard of the opponents? It is not easy to tell ?

In view of the pig's ear Liverpool made of trying to break down Cardiff, I don't think Albion did all that badly. We did not get the breaks that West Ham did.

Last edited:

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
IMO the problem we've got with Assulin is that I don't think he's a winger rather an old time inside forward or for the younger fans, a Messi type in that he needs to roam across the forward line. He's strength seems to be running at players with the ball and he looks abit lost out on the wing and too deep when the ball arrives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here