Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gai Assulin Video

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When I told my boys who are 11 and 13 years old we were signing 'an Israeli winger from Man City' they both knew EXACTLY who he was, and filled me in on his Barcelona pedigree, etc. They were very excited by this signing, and DEFINITELY know more about football than NMH.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When I told my boys who are 11 and 13 years old we were signing 'an Israeli winger from Man City' they both knew EXACTLY who he was, and filled me in on his Barcelona pedigree, etc. They were very excited by this signing, and DFINITELY know more about football than NMH.

Haha amazing!

We've just signed Edison Cavani!

"NMH has never heard of him, probably shit, why is everyone wanking over him?"

:facepalm:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Well, from the video, we know he is going to run into an opposing player and get a foul.

Just don't get too excited. We've got better players on out books already: Kazenga and Will Buckley and Macca and probably two others.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is, NMH, when some people were getting very excited by Baz and Batti's signing - based on a few blurry YouTube videos and the fact they're "flair", you would've been totally valid in your objections.

Here though, you have shown yourself to be slightly ignorant of the wider footballing world. We are VERY lucky to have Assulin at the club, even for a few games.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
These snippets are a bit misleading and vague. I have played alongside lads at the local park who look as good on the ball and are tricky, but couldn't get anywhere near a pro club. Take the best footage of my gran with a football, and you could be yelling "sign her up" - and she's dead.

I assume they're youth teamers at Man City? No?

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I assume they're youth teamers at Man City? No?

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

Razak and Assulin are not even youth teamers at City. They are fringe first team squad. Razak has played in the first team this season.

Thing is, NMH, when some people were getting very excited by Baz and Batti's signing - based on a few blurry YouTube videos and the fact they're "flair", you would've been totally valid in your objections.

Here though, you have shown yourself to be slightly ignorant of the wider footballing world. We are VERY lucky to have Assulin at the club, even for a few games.

I will have to see about that.
In those videos, he does not look all that. Fact.

I crowed about Adam el-Abd when Dean Wilkins was our manager, and Gus endorsing my football genius only told me that he does at least recognise talent when he sees it playing for Brighton - so there's hope. I trust you agreed with my and Gus's assessments all that long time ago Melotron (who is bombarding the board with overexcited references to my doubts, which I find a little ....er....insane)?

I also waxed effusive about Bridcutt, after merely one turnout for us.
Buckley - clearly a quality player.

I also notice that we had topped the division for a spell earlier this season, and that the influx of players from left right and centre has been slow to get us back to that.
Vicente's debut, and we lost 3-1 despite his scoring our goal. Just saying.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Right I'll make it really simple for you:

I (and I'm sure quite a few others) are VERY excited by this prospect because this player is KNOWN TO BE QUALITY.

Simple enough?

Correct answer.

As some on here may know, Barca are my second team and this signing excites me a hell of a lot, based on my knowledge of him from his time at Barca.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We've got better players on out books already: Kazenga and Will Buckley and Macca and probably two others.

How long ago did each of those come through the Barcelona academy, as some of the stand out players?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

As I already said, anyone basing their opinions of Assulin SOLELY on those videos is monumentally thick.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I crowed about Adam el-Abd when Dean Wilkins was our manager, and Gus endorsing my football genius only told me that he does at least recognise talent when he sees it playing for Brighton - so there's hope. I trust you agreed with my and Gus's assessments all that long time ago Melotron (who is bombarding the board with overexcited references to my doubts, which I find a little ....er....insane)?

I also waxed effusive about Bridcutt, after merely one turnout for us.
Buckley - clearly a quality player.

I never slagged off El Abd, or called him El Bad, or any nonsense like that.

I rated Bridcutt from first viewing also, and Buckley is clearly a quality player on his day.

Confused what any of this has to do with you not having heard of players? Sounds like a willy-waving contest to me.

As I already said, anyone basing their opinions of Assulin SOLELY on those videos is monumentally thick.

Ah well, as long as they then back it up with "in Gus we trust", that turns them into GENIUSES.

I'll reserve judgment on Gai, thanks - because I'm thick enough to require evidence that he can also fit into OUR TEAM (you genius), can adapt to competition in the English Championship (you genius), and is not a sick-note.

I never slagged off El Abd, or called him El Bad, or any nonsense like that.

I rated Bridcutt from first viewing also, and Buckley is clearly a quality player on his day.

Confused what any of this has to do with you not having heard of players? Sounds like a willy-waving contest to me.

In your mind, willy's probably wave.

In mine, those players were clearly quality and very capable. Since you agree, then it's hardly a contest - just conformation that I know a good player when I see one PLAY FOR US, just like you, and Gus.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Out of interest, why did Barcelona let him go? How many appearances did you see with him in the first team squad?
Why are Man City not playing him instead of us?

Just curious, like.

He was not deemed good enough for the Barcelona first team squad. And he had to leave and there was a work permit problem, but I am sure if he was good enough that would have got around it.

What I am saying he is not good enough to walk into the Brighton team and I don't want him pissing off the other players, if they are better. Players quickly seem to know of there is a better player around. It might take a month though.

Razak is different because he is ostensibly a box to box midfielder and Sparrow is the nearest we have got. The trouble with this player is that we might get used to him and then he has to go back.

Top 10 things you need to know about Manchester City new boy Gai Assulin plus video of him in action - Football Spy - MirrorFootball.co.uk

There is no doubt he is ambitious and wants to play for a bigger club than Blackburn Rovers. He either thinks he is good or his agent writes a good press release. Lets hope he fires up our existing players to play well!

Last edited:

When I told my boys who are 11 and 13 years old we were signing 'an Israeli winger from Man City' they both knew EXACTLY who he was, and filled me in on his Barcelona pedigree, etc. They were very excited by this signing, and DEFINITELY know more about football than NMH.

I'm WAITING for you to really rub my nose in it about this flair player we signed.
I just know you will, as soon as he....er..... proves to be as exciting as your 11 and 13year-olds say he is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm WAITING for you to really rub my nose in it about this flair player we signed.
I just know you will, as soon as he....er..... proves to be as exciting as your 11 and 13year-olds say he is.

He's had a fairly good start so far. Impressed by how strong he is and the fact he doesn't go to ground.

His first touch and close control is different class. Cardiff generally neutralised him last night by trying to kick lumps out of him constantly.

He was not deemed good enough for the Barcelona first team squad. And he had to leave and there was a work permit problem, but I am sure if he was good enough that would have got around it.

What I am saying he is not good enough to walk into the Brighton team and I don't want him pissing off the other players, if they are better. Players quickly seem to know of there is a better player around. It might take a month though.

Razak is different because he is ostensibly a box to box midfielder and Sparrow is the nearest we have got. The trouble with this player is that we might get used to him and then he has to go back.

Top 10 things you need to know about Manchester City new boy Gai Assulin plus video of him in action - Football Spy - MirrorFootball.co.uk

There is no doubt he is ambitious and wants to play for a bigger club than Blackburn Rovers. He either thinks he is good or his agent writes a good press release. Lets hope he fires up our existing players to play well!

This is a good, no-committal post.
I'm more interested to read your assessment - based on some of what is in that post.
Do the players around him, the core squad, respond well and does he interract with them?
Do you think he warrants a place over another squad member, or that a space should be made for him to fit into in the side?
Are the others 'fired up'?
Shouldn't it be he who comes off the bench, and suggests to others that they have to have a good impact first or be substituted?
Does he display a 'continental style' that might be the way we should be heading, and like Barca in the football era of today?
What did he appear to bring to the field, generally, as you saw it? (assuming you did, of course)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here