Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fuming at Oscar!!!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
You what?

It's been said before and it's going to be said here again, lastnights team selection was a total piss take out of fans and the F.A cup and I for one am gutted, I totally concur with Robbie Savage. Enormous opportunity to get to the quarter final of the FA CUP for a winnable tie against our former manager and would have also given us another big pay day and he makes 7 ****ing changes!

I half understand it against the likes of Port Vale but not against Hull who ended up making less changes than we did.

I'm not sure who he thinks we are to make that many changes and I hope the FA in the future fix it so that clubs cant change more than 3 players from a Saturday game or you may aswell just call it the Reserve team cup & we can play the games at Lancing. The only thing I can think is that he doesn't understand the F.A cup, what it means to the fans and it's history, is it not the greatest cup comp in the world?

Buckley - not fit
Chicksen - not good enough
JFC - was always going to lose the midfield battle
Brezovan - Distribution was poor
Andrews - terrible
Dunk - solid but rather have greer

It's not all about how the players do on the night, a solid team that are used to playing together obviousyly play better than sticking a load of players for a one off game.

No more FA cup games for me whilst Oscar is in charge, if he cant be arsed to put a winning team out then neither can I.

Have you been on the piss?

You already undo your argument, "hull made less chances than we did" Is there not a clue there?

How many games do you expect our guys to manage in 15 days?

So assume we should have played our very strongest team for a cup game, then I assume you'll be happy when Oscar picks a weakened team for more important upcoming league games?????

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Did we? They hit the woodwork twice and we cleared one off the line. They had 58% possession and more shots on target!

I go to watch us win, not watch squad players and Oscar gamble against prem teams.

Don't you think there is a reason why Oscar is the manager and you are not....his experience of football and yours as a new fan....we have a great squad of up and coming players....we go to watch OUR team trying to win,if we don't then there is always another day...save yourself money....don't go...plastics are not needed..

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'll admit that when I saw the team, I was worried about the back 5. No Greer, Ward, Bruno or most importantly Tomas.

The rest of the team, I was pleased with.

The team proved me wrong, 5 minutes from beating a strong hull side.

We'll no doubt rest some on Monday but so will they.

The only player who I'm concerned about is Ulloa, we have nobody who can come in and do his job.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
But it's not a black and white situation like you've described. Oscar has to manage players over the length of a season and as such some players need game time, some need to be rested. He will certainly play a different team on Saturday and then again on Monday because they're so close together, you can't use that as evidence to back up your opinion when it happens this weekend.

Of the team last night you could say that only Chicksen and Brez were there to test them out, possibly Dunk as he hasn't played much this season. Every other player has been 1st choice in their position at some point this season. That's 3 players (not 7 like the OP said) and they all had a decent game against strong opposition. The team wasn't that much weaker than the one that beat Leeds 1-0 last week. Modern football isn't about a 1st and 2nd XI any more, you need players who can fit in at any point of the season. We still had a strong team out last night and that's a direct result of Oscar rotating players throughout the season and trusting in our younger players.

So you agree it was a weaker team than the last League game played and by your assessment likely to have been weaker than the next League game.

As far as I can see the only reason for that being the case is that OG considers cup matches of less importance than League matches and can be used as both a chance to 'rest' players and give squad members who don't regularly play in League matches a chance to play - he is far from being unique in that opinion.

This goes against what the polls on this board and others suggest the fans want - still we are after all just customers - the odd thing is that the real fans will still go to Cup games and it is the customers who will be put off by clubs fielding less than their strongest team for Cup games.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'll admit that when I saw the team, I was worried about the back 5. No Greer, Ward, Bruno or most importantly Tomas.

The rest of the team, I was pleased with.

The team proved me wrong, 5 minutes from beating a strong hull side.

We'll no doubt rest some on Monday but so will they.

The only player who I'm concerned about is Ulloa, we have nobody who can come in and do his job.

Absolutely same here mate - was so worries about brez / dunk and chiko - all who proved me wrong wrong wrong!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So you agree it was a weaker team than the last League game played and by your assessment likely to have been weaker than the next League game.

As far as I can see the only reason for that being the case is that OG considers cup matches of less importance than League matches and can be used as both a chance to 'rest' players and give squad members who don't regularly play in League matches a chance to play - he is far from being unique in that opinion.

This goes against what the polls on this board and others suggest the fans want - still we are after all just customers - the odd thing is that the real fans will still go to Cup games and it is the customers who will be put off by clubs fielding less than their strongest team for Cup games.

The Leeds and Donny game we had Orlandi & March starting but everyone has been saying start with KLL & Buckley, which we did yesterday. What is your strongest selection for the left and right wing? And who should have replaced the cup tied Stephens?

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
It's been said before and it's going to be said here again, lastnights team selection was a total piss take out of fans and the F.A cup and I for one am gutted, I totally concur with Robbie Savage. Enormous opportunity to get to the quarter final of the FA CUP for a winnable tie against our former manager and would have also given us another big pay day and he makes 7 ****ing changes!

I half understand it against the likes of Port Vale but not against Hull who ended up making less changes than we did.

I'm not sure who he thinks we are to make that many changes and I hope the FA in the future fix it so that clubs cant change more than 3 players from a Saturday game or you may aswell just call it the Reserve team cup & we can play the games at Lancing. The only thing I can think is that he doesn't understand the F.A cup, what it means to the fans and it's history, is it not the greatest cup comp in the world?

Buckley - not fit
Chicksen - not good enough
JFC - was always going to lose the midfield battle
Brezovan - Distribution was poor
Andrews - terrible
Dunk - solid but rather have greer

It's not all about how the players do on the night, a solid team that are used to playing together obviousyly play better than sticking a load of players for a one off game.

No more FA cup games for me whilst Oscar is in charge, if he cant be arsed to put a winning team out then neither can I.

get a life ;)

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The Leeds and Donny game we had Orlandi & March starting but everyone has been saying start with KLL & Buckley, which we did yesterday. What is your strongest selection for the left and right wing? And who should have replaced the cup tied Stephens?

Well OG obviously thought the lineup against Leeds was his strongest team at the time with Kaz and Will on the bench. Andrews replaced Stephens yesterday and I'd probably have gone along with that despite the fact that as it turned out he actually had a bit of a 'mare'.

I'm not the manager - he knows far better than me which is his strongest team - I just believe he deliberately didn't play his strongest team on Monday.

It will be telling I think when the team against Wigan is announced - will it be closer to the lineup against Leeds or the one against Hull? - what do you reckon? ???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well OG obviously thought the lineup against Leeds was his strongest team at the time with Kaz and Will on the bench. Andrews replaced Stephens yesterday and I'd probably have gone along with that despite the fact that as it turned out he actually had a bit of a 'mare'.

I'm not the manager - he knows far better than me which is his strongest team - I just believe he deliberately didn't play his strongest team on Monday.

It will be telling I think when the team against Wigan is announced - will it be closer to the lineup against Leeds or the one against Hull? - what do you reckon? ???

Ulloa will start against Wigan but I don't think he can do two games on the trott yet, so Leo from the bench against Hull is my guess. Orlandi and Buckley to start at Wigan? March and KLL to start against Hull? Both pairs being swapped from the bench in both games?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well, for me having watched the game and the way it played out, if we'd have started with our first choice defence we'd have had more chance of winning. The replacements played very well - but couldn't see it out. Shame because a cup 6th round is something I have never seen outside of my childhood. Good, because the chances of a 'Poyet binfest week' are now much reduced. But we do still have a replay, and Hull's team could be even weaker then....

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
The best form of attack is defence, we looked shakey....for those that didn't see that then watch the game again on a re-run, they clattered the bar and post twice and we should have lost, they controlled large parts of the game with 58% of the ball, no 1 has 58% of the ball against us and that's the biggest problem, it's well and good saying use the squad but if they cant do what the first team can do and it means we don't go through then it's not right.

58% only means they had more of the ball than us, I have seen teams with less than 30% win a game, so really these statistics count for nothing.

boik

What people need to ask themselves is not the number of changes, but whether we were weakened. No way is Calderon, Lua Lua or Buckley weakened choices to come into the team. Chicksen for Ward is the only position I could really see effected us. With Lua Lua starting we could have done with Ward's experience behind him. With Stephens cup tied Andrews had to come in really.

Indeed. If one was being provocative one could say it was a miss by a regular first-teamer that cost us the win. (I do realise the chance wasn't as simple as it appreared, but it's supremely simplistic to think that the chages DEFINITELY affected the result).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here