Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fred Hantz

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Well put. A lot of people seem to be in the " he is foreign he must be good " camp. What standard is the french leagues 2 and 3 ? Everyone thought Garcia would bring a blend of exciting, flair football and well, point made.

To be fair he has managed Bastia in Ligue 1 for the last 2 seasons.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The club need either someone who will get the club promoted or at least play an exciting brand of football people want to come and see or get someone, box office or crowds will start to tail off in a large way quite soon.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not everyone gets a job in a top league staright away. THis guy has worked his way up.

What is the problem with that ?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not to sound pessimistic but If we go get this guy Is It just goes to show we're dong things on the cheap again. When's the club going to realize. You're not going to get anywhere on a shoestring. Sure there was Palace but they got LUCKY.

Burnley did alright.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After back to back promotions. But how dare you bring facts and reason into this!

yes at league 2 and 3 level in France, I am asking what standard of football is this ? I would be very surprised if league 2 was anywhere near as strong as the championship.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know lets write a manager off before he's even got the job.

They have with Nathan Jones. He could be a world beater for all we know. Probably not but the point stands.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
yes at league 2 and 3 level in France, I am asking what standard of football is this ? I would be very surprised if league 2 was anywhere near as strong as the championship.

The quality of the leagues is irrelevant. He would of had the quality of player to work with that reflects the League they were in. Back to back promotions is an excellent achievement.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Look I am not simply using the fact the he is an oversees appointment but this is a déjà vu scenario. People stubbornly digging information about a manager nobody knew and dragging any possible positives from it to quantify giving him their approval. I don't want another Oscar v2.

Of course, he may do very well, but in my eyes it's another gamble. Poyet was, Oscar was Freddy will be too. A bigger gamble than that of someone with managerial experience (at any professional level) that has a good record here

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it not all relative?

He would have got a comparatively poor team promoted from a comparatively poor league, TWICE.

Unless they bought the title, Citeh-style, he has the skills to gain promotion in a league of his peers, irrespective of the country/league/division.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I'd rather have Fred Flintstone.Jesus how are the club going to convince people he was first, second or even fifth choice..He makes Hughton sound wonderful...Two promotions from that hotbed of football, that is the French lower leagues...This would be a disaster of epic proportions.We got 13players atm, he is hardly going to have them queuing up to sign up.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Im sure TB will make the right decision for the club, whoever it turns out to be. Having gone through each candidate`s CV with a fine tooth comb, spoken at length to them about their footballing philosophy, visions for the future, policy on youth, etc, etc, TB will be in a much better position to decide who fits HIS criteria much more than us lot who, quite frankly, know sweet funk all about any of them other than what we can find trawling the internet. Its Tony`s club and investment after all, have faith that he will make the right decision.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Look I am not simply using the fact the he is an oversees appointment but this is a déjà vu scenario. People stubbornly digging information about a manager nobody knew and dragging any possible positives from it to quantify giving him their approval. I don't want another Oscar v2.

Of course, he may do very well, but in my eyes it's another gamble. Poyet was, Oscar was Freddy will be too. A bigger gamble than that of someone with managerial experience (at any professional level) that has a good record here

There were probably Arsenal fans saying such things when they appointed Arsene Wenger. If he were appointed and it is a gamble, our Chairmaan is both a professional gambler and an astute businessman who will do everything he can to limit the risk.

And even if you appoint someone who "knows how to get out of this division", there is no guarantee it will work. Tried and tested managers in one place don't always work in another.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I would say much less of a gamble than someone like Sherwood with hardly any experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here