Fox hunting

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Odd one the fox hunting debate in that everyone feels sorry for the fox

Nothing about the thousands of hounds and horses routinely exterminated each year well below their natural life span.

It's a sport where humans breed animals to kill other animals. I wish the hunt would be honest about the exact nature of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
N
The idea of an animal being ripped apart by a pack of dogs is awful but.....

We do need to do something to control the Fox population. Whether it's just my imagination or it is a fact but I see so many foxes around nowadays and they seem to be getting bolder and bolder.

I'd like a cull on Seagulls as well.

I'm a complete B*****d really aren't I.

The foxes are getting bolder...how dare they. Don't they know that there should only be humans on this planet, so we don't get sidetracked from destroying it.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
In your hast to defend the indefensible you've completely misquoted my post. Just where did I blame you?

Chillax Fat Old Seagull!

I don't go round torturing animals in some crazed blood lust just for kicks!

I'm just reasoning that when an animal species reaches the point where it has no natural predator - a la Foxes & Seagulls, that species population will rise to a point of it adapting to increase it's chance of survival. To that end an artificial control on the rate that the population increases is, in my opinion, a reasonable measure to not only reduce but protect that species population.

The human race has birth control, would the same thing be inhumane if applied to an overpopulated animal species.

My 'Don't blame me, I don't make the rules' comment was a flippant retort in the hope you would appreciate the fact that I'm not in the position to actually pass any law on this subject and was therefore only giving 'my opinion'.

I'm sorry if I caused any offence - Unless you are Gary Gardner, Glenn Murray, Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea or anything to do with Chrystal Palarse, in which case Bollocks.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
L
Chillax Fat Old Seagull!

I don't go round torturing animals in some crazed blood lust just for kicks!

I'm just reasoning that when an animal species reaches the point where it has no natural predator - a la Foxes & Seagulls, that species population will rise to a point of it adapting to increase it's chance of survival. To that end an artificial control on the rate that the population increases is, in my opinion, a reasonable measure to not only reduce but protect that species population.

The human race has birth control, would the same thing be inhumane if applied to an overpopulated animal species.

My 'Don't blame me, I don't make the rules' comment was a flippant retort in the hope you would appreciate the fact that I'm not in the position to actually pass any law on this subject and was therefore only giving 'my opinion'.

I'm sorry if I caused any offence - Unless you are Gary Gardner, Glenn Murray, Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea or anything to do with Chrystal Palarse, in which case Bollocks.

Mmmm I think it might be you who needs to Chillax, I can't be arsed to read the 'book' you've written. You think it's fine to cull animals, I don't..... simple? Let nature do its job.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'd support this

I doubt you had a particular view on it before seeing the post, this is the conundrum, before you jump on the prejudice against the 'toffs' then at least show some understanding of how other practices might need to be challenged even before fox hunting, whos effect is comparably marginal in its effect to the fox population and even its cruelty.

You cannot 'means test' the perpetrator to then prioritise your animal welfare concerns, how could you vehemently be against fox hunting and be totally unaware of other cruel practices that effect greater numbers of other animals.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Slightly OT, but something I think is cruel; I refused an invitation to go swimming with Dolphins today. My reason being that they are held in captivity, (Atlantis Resort, Nassau).
Years ago I swam with Dolphins in the wild, off the Canaries, that was great. However, watching hundreds of tourists line up to have their pic taken with the "smiling happy Dolphin" in a pen, doesn't really seem that great for the Dolphin in my eyes.

On a similar note, if you get the chance to see a film called Blackfish (I think that's correct) made by CNN I believe, about the Killer Whale that did for one of the staff at Sea-World a few years back, check it out. Unbelievably cruel treatment of an amazing creature.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am against all cruelty to all animals.

Most people would agree, but there are always thresholds and personal interpretation to factor in, which makes it far more difficult than lets ban fox hunting which really offers little ( unless your that fox I suppose ).

Many vegetarians feel passionately that the consequence of eating meat is killing and/or growing animals and this for them is cruel, so non vegetarians try and ensure some level of humane killing, but it still can be quite grizzly.

The example above with the dolphins is a good example, is it cruel or is the pay off a greater empathy with dolphins which will be for the greater good of dolphins, similar arguments are associated with zoo's and so it goes on.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nothing wrong with it, Blair banned it to irk the 'Tory Toffs' and pander to the Guardian and the rent a mob brigade, Can't see an issue in bringing it back

I could be wrong but I'm sure at the time over 70% of the British public agreed with the ban.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Glad to see Cameron finally seeing sense.

Using hounds to kill a fox is more effective than a bullet and the fox will invariably suffer less.

Also this argument that it is just toffs who go hunting is complete boll##ks. I hunt with the Quorn in Leicestershire and am most definitely 'working class' as are many others, both mounted and foot followers.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Glad to see Cameron finally seeing sense.

Using hounds to kill a fox is more effective than a bullet and the fox will invariably suffer less.

Also this argument that it is just toffs who go hunting is complete boll##ks. I hunt with the Quorn in Leicestershire and am most definitely 'working class' as are many others, both mounted and foot followers.

You see this is exactly the problem with the debate, those on here just cannot help themselves with their prejudice against so called 'toffs', they lack credibility when it comes the the real debate, they ignore or are ignorant of other practices that are undoubtedly more cruel and effect more animals.

I have to say though I might not be on your side, but accept that the 'banning' fraternity lack credibility.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You see this is exactly the problem with the debate, those on here just cannot help themselves with their prejudice against so called 'toffs', they lack credibility when it comes the the real debate, they ignore or are ignorant of other practices that are undoubtedly more cruel and effect more animals.

I have to say though I might not be on your side, but accept that the 'banning' fraternity lack credibility.

And I will repeat to you that, it is inhumane, and the only people who think it isn't are those who partake in this unnecessary practise. You cannot defend the indefensible

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Why not just get a couple of pitbulls and rip up the local cats?
Saves on the expense of horses.
Cats are worse than foxes for killing things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports