Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fox hunting

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am firm of the belief that the Labour government used fox hunting as a stick to beat rural Tory voters with, it was a politically cynical move.

I don't think they did to be honest. It was a popular pre election manifesto pledge. They didn't promise to ban it as I recall just have a free vote in the house of commons.

I think it's actually convenient for organisations like the Countryside Alliance to promote it that way politically and who would blame them.

However most people who live in the country neither support or care about it, it's most definitely a minority interest.

A few labour MPs support it and there were\are number of Tories who would never vote for it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In the big scheme of things fox hunting is a triviality. Foxes are not endangered so killing them isn't really a problem. For the record I don't like fox hunting and feel it is cruel but the facts are it doesn't really do any harm except to the individual fox.
It's a political toss ball that seems to have taken on disproportionate importance. We've all got bigger fish to fry.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the big scheme of things fox hunting is a triviality. Foxes are not endangered so killing them isn't really a problem. For the record I don't like fox hunting and feel it is cruel but the facts are it doesn't really do any harm except to the individual fox.
It's a political toss ball that seems to have taken on disproportionate importance. We've all got bigger fish to fry.

It has to remain banned for the fact of how it works. It is cruel, it is also ineffective as a control of Fox numbers.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think they did to be honest. It was a popular pre election manifesto pledge. They didn't promise to ban it as I recall just have a free vote in the house of commons.

I think it's actually convenient for organisations like the Countryside Alliance to promote it that way politically and who would blame them.

However most people who live in the country neither support or care about it, it's most definitely a minority interest.

A few labour MPs support it and there were\are number of Tories who would never vote for it.

Blair covers it in his book. The left on the party were keen to get it banned and he saw it as an easy way to toss them a bone. He personally couldn't have cared either way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here