Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fox hunting

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The idea of an animal being ripped apart by a pack of dogs is awful but.....

We do need to do something to control the Fox population. Whether it's just my imagination or it is a fact but I see so many foxes around nowadays and they seem to be getting bolder and bolder.

I'd like a cull on Seagulls as well.

I'm a complete B*****d really aren't I.

In times when fox populations have been low in the countryside, hunts have bred foxes to be released ito provide prey for the packs to hunt down

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Define 'needless', they was a cull of badgers recently some deemed it needless others thought it critical.

No doubt you would want to be the person that defines what to ban and what to ignore, that doesnt really move things on much.

As you were so keen to say earlier - 'in the context of fox hunting' - I would deem that a very needless example of animal cruelty.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For me it's the manner in which the foxes are killed. I simply think it's cruel and unfair. I'd have much less of an issue if they shot them.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As you were so keen to say earlier - 'in the context of fox hunting' - I would deem that a very needless example of animal cruelty.

I tend to agree but you cannot just stop there and hold a principled view, especially if it's driven by prejudice of the perceived class of those huntsmen.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I tend to agree but you cannot just stop there and hold a principled view, especially if it's driven by prejudice of the perceived class of those huntsmen.

I haven't said a word about who or what class of individuals are involved in fox hunting - to me that's a moot point. The call for a ban must be driven by the desire to see wild animals not tortured needlessly by anyone. That is my only principle.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Other countries must have more humane ways of controlling their fox populations, , without chasing them to exhaustion before tearing them to pieces. The huntes have claimed at different times that they don't kill many foxes, and in the next breath, that hunting is vital to control the fox population. I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways, you either don't kill many, or you kill so many it affects their population level.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I haven't said a word about who or what class of individuals are involved in fox hunting - to me that's a moot point. The call for a ban must be driven by the desire to see wild animals not tortured needlessly by anyone. That is my only principle.

I didnt check I apologise, but many of these post are wholly driven by some class driven view.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Other countries must have more humane ways of controlling their fox populations, , without chasing them to exhaustion before tearing them to pieces. The huntes have claimed at different times that they don't kill many foxes, and in the next breath, that hunting is vital to control the fox population. I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways, you either don't kill many, or you kill so many it affects their population level.

My own experience is that other European countries have a far greater hunting culture and less animal rights regards, perhaps they differ from country to countr, I cannot be sure..

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There are a lot of myths about fox hunting, the main one being that it is a sport for toffs - something very far from the truth.

Personally I would never partake in a fox hunt as I see no enjoyment in taking part in an activity where the objective is to kill animals, (whether they be foxes, rats, fish, birds or any other animal) - I would much prefer where foxes need culling for them to be shot humanely - the problem is though that it is very difficult to do so, as it is with mink, and stay within the rules of the Hunting Act 2004 - this banned the use of more than two dogs where the aim was to kill wildlife - prior to the act farmers used small packs of dogs to flush foxes from woodland in order that they could be shot, likewise with mink - strangely such activities are still perfectly legal in Scotland.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I didnt check I apologise, but many of these post are wholly driven by some class driven view.

Th fact is though, it is a pastime dominated by the gentry, and the very well off, so, their class is naturally referred to in any discussion about it, as any discussion about football hooliganism naturally, would mention football supporters

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Actually you can - the hunt supported the cost of keeping the hounds which were also regularly used for flushing out foxes so that they could be shot.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
cruel sport. Should be totally outlawed.

So is dairy farming, calves being separated from their lactating mothers at birth so that we humans can harvest the product for our consumption while the calves cry out endlessly for their mothers before being slaughtered, but we must have a pint of milk, a bit of cheese in our sandwiches and a bar of chocolate mustn't we? Dairy farming should be outlawed long before fox hunting because it's equally barbaric and on an all-consuming and massive scale.

(20 pages minimum)

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Th fact is though, it is a pastime dominated by the gentry, and the very well off, so, their class is naturally referred to in any discussion about it, as any discussion about football hooliganism naturally, would mention football supporters

The vast majority of those that used to take part in hunts and still regularly now partake in drag hunts are not from the 'gentried class' although it is fair to say that they do organise many of the hunts.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So is dairy farming, calves being separated from their lactating mothers at birth so that we humans can harvest the product for our consumption while the calves cry out endlessly for their mothers before being slaughtered, but we must have a pint of milk, a bit of cheese in our sandwiches and a bar of chocolate mustn't we? Dairy farming should be outlawed long before fox hunting because it's equally barbaric and on an all-consuming and massive scale.

(20 pages minimum)

My father was a dairy herdsman for forty years, , I don't think he would have left young calfs crying endlessly of starvation, you really don't know much about the dairy farming business do you?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know tons of people that are involved in foxhunting (in Devon where I was brought up). None of them are remotely close to being toffs. Mostly from farming families.

Personally think there are better ways of controlling the population of these pests (the foxes, not the hunters) but the banning of it was a political populist (anti tory) move by B.Liar.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

No that cannot be a reasoned view, you are basing your selection of the pursuit on class prejudice, that cannot be correct.

For me the scale of fox hunting in its impact on the foxes population is likely to be negligible, has anyone actually ever seen one, I haven't in the 50 years in living in Sussex.

Do I find the pursuit proportionate in its aims/cruelty to the need for the pursuit to be continued, then for me probably not.

But it cannot be lost on you that actually why should we perhaps go out and catch a fish and bash its head in the hope of winning a prize trophy sourced from some child labour camp in China, for £10.99.

So if I subscribe to the first point of outlawing fox hunting that in the grand scale of foxes being killed humanly or otherwise, is it proportionate when other pursuits are ignored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here