Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fox Hunting wa@kers

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The connection is with the ban on fox hunting, not fox hunting in itself. The connection is the fact that the whole country in infested with left-wing PC pinkos, or at least they are the ones with the biggest gobs at the moment, whilst most normal people simply laugh at them.

I certainly do have an opinion on fox hunting. My wife rides with the local hunt whenever she can, and I enjoy goint to their summer balls.

If this were true surely the UK would have a communist government. or a green one. Or at least a labour one. Has it? or are you talking absolute shite?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would guess that most people who hunt, and in fact most who live in the countryside, do not watch shite like Countryfile, which is a rose tinted Townie oriented image of the countryside, and which never deals with real rural issues, just soundbyte BBC crap.

Don't really have an issue with Fox hunting myself. I Game shoot regularly, and know a large number of people involved in predator control and also culling (like it or not there are too many deer in this country!). Personally, I think shooting and snaring/trapping is more effective and deals with far more foxes than traditional hunts ever would, but as an event that brings together a cross section of country (and some town) folk I think something of rural Britain has been lost by vilification of hunts.

Funnily enough, most Hunt Sabs these days are paid (funded by companies such as Lush and Linda McCartney). and are rarely in it for the protection of the animals. I know people who used to beat on commercial shoots, but now are involved in anti-hunt activities because it pays more!!

Where did this shit about countryfile come from? Also, you talk of 'the social event' etc but what has that got to do with a pack of hounds tearing a fox apart. Why can't they all get together on a social basis to drag hunt. As for beaters, weren't they traditionally the poor of the area who did the beating for extra money. I very much doubt they did because they valued the service they were providing those with the guns!

What the f*** would you know about the subject, living in the toilet that is called Croydon? lol

Democracy has spoken, but it was not listened to by the little left wing pinko types who wanted to start a new class war to distract from their failing policies.

It is so very funny to see the usual suspects who were crusading for unholy marrages the other week, all back on their high horses. It is so easy to see why football is no longer allowed to be a mans' game, where contact was accepted.

What do you mean by 'democracy has spoken'? Are you suggesting there is a majority in favour of traditional hunting and always has been. If so, have you any evidence? Perhaps a link to the survey in Hare and Hounds????

You are just proving my point even more here.

Most people that are anti hunting coudnt give a f*** about foxes. It is just a good opportunity to get involved in a class war. Proved by looking over this thread. The ammount of people who have felt the need to put things like "toffs just riding around on horses" is unreal.

Not to mention the fact that it is wrong!! I hunt at least once a week if not twice and i can tell you that the MAJORITY of people are just normal working class.

I would take the whole 'anti' argument a lot more seriously if people concentrated solely on animal welfare, but the majority of people just use it as an opportunity to have a go at people they wrongly percieve to be upper class!

Most people I know who express a view against hunting don't meet the criteria you suggest. They are against it because it is about a group of people who do something purely out of enjoyment for a blood sport. You will never take the anti-hunt argument seriously because you have a closed mind to it. It is contrary to what you like doing so you just stick your fingers in your ears and go blah blah blah blah blah! Oh, just for the record, my wife owns a horse and most of the people associated with the yard are very much against the sport. There are plenty of landowners that oppose it but you ignore that!

How do you feel about fishing? Much more of a sport than foxhunting. Correct me if i am wrong, but do people not BREED fish just so other peoplecan come along and catch them?

Hunting foxes is something that needs to be done in this country to control the numbers.

Your comments are so fatuous. What makes you think anyone believes you when you make comments like this. You never started hunting because of some social conscience about culling!

Care to back that up with any evidence?

You have posted countless times on this thread and I haven't yet seen a link to back up any of your arguments.

Certain posters are vitriolic in their anti hunting stance due to very strong beliefs about their love of animals and their strong views on animal welfare. If this is genuine then, whichever view you hold about the necessity of fox hunting, I think this should be respected.

So may I ask those that posters who have expressed this view to make it clear to the pro hunting posters that your animal welfare concerns are indeed genuine and permeate other aspects of your life. Are you a Vegan? If not, do you buy free range eggs, organic chicken, beef from British farms which you know rear their animals on grass, or bacon, ham and pork from non intensive British farms (all foreign pigs are farmed to lower legal welfare standards)?

There is a vast difference about the killing of animals for food as opposed to sport. If it was for consumers then the welfare of animals in farms would have improved over the last 30 odd years. It isn't perfect but consumer power will drive standards up.

Is lamping not as much of a sport? What if you miss, in the dark? What if you only maim? Frankly, I see no difference between lamping and foxhunting.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a town versus country argument, where one side doesn't recognise the ideas of the other. It also has a lot to do with the one-sided nature of education and the hatred of anything traditional.

You do talk crap. You try to imply that it's town v country yet there are plenty of people in the country that are against hunting as a sport. What it is about is democracy and if the majority are against it then surely that's what should happen or do you think a very small minority of participants should dictate to everyone else?

Well, ne'er the twain will meet. As I get older, I find modern attitudes to be full of nonsense and ignorance, but I'll just have to lump it. The world is changing much more rapidly now than it has done during the past 60 years. It's probably too fast for those of us who have been around a while, learnt to appreciate the practical reasons behind most traditions and done our bit to try to keep them going. But modern thinking seems to be that it's all old hat. Indeed, there seems to be a dearth of actual thinking in the modern world, just a generation of people spouting stuff without really knowing why. But I guess it works both ways.

Change with it then. Alternatively, perhaps we should regress to the traditions of the victorian age, children up chimneys, the poor in the workhouse, not universal health care etc etc. You seem to embrace the modern technology easy enough. As for hunting as a sport, can you list the practical reasons for this traditional pastime? It's not dearth of thinking in the modern world it's more like more people have a greater understanding of the world around, including the matters that affect the environment etc.

Camicus

has anyone ever eaten fox?
could possibly solve both sides of this arguement!

Fox tastes like shit as meat takes on the flaovour of what it feeds on after a while and foxes are scavangers might be ok if you soak it in something stong for a day or two

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Fox tastes like shit as meat takes on the flaovour of what it feeds on after a while and foxes are scavangers might be ok if you soak it in something stong for a day or two
according to this thead tho, they only eat chicken and lamb...
maybe a bit of chilli and garlic, with a hint of cumin?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
also curious,
if rabbit is also a farmers fiend, then why is that not farmed/eaten more,
and goat come to that, (tho obviously not an enemy of the farmer..)?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
When a pack of hounds kill a fox it is almost instantaneous. Also more effective that someone shooting from distance with a rifle.
raf.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have sons in their 30s and potential grandchildren coming round. This means I won't be able to let their babies sleep in the pram in the garden, like mothers and grandmothers have for generations, because a fox could take a fancy to them. Or, as toddlers, they won't be able to run in and out of the garden because the doors will have to be shut in case a fox gets them. It's a very new thought and one that the older generation will have to adjust to, sadly, because babies and children need fresh air.

And don't forget there are PEADOS on every street corner just waiting to snatch your children the minute you're not looking.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hunting foxes is something that needs to be done in this country to control the numbers.

Don't buy that argument to be honest. When fox hunting was legal, other means of controlling far outnumbered those killed by the hunt.

The other methods also don't involve the breeding of thousands of other animals (and extermination) to support it. It seems an incredible amount or organisation and industry to control fox numbers.

I reiterate I'm not making a moral point here, just trying to tease out a bit of honesty. It's a sport, albeit an old one that gives a lot of people pleasure.

I can never find consistent figures about the numbers of hounds that are bred and put down each year in the pursuit of a fox. But I would imagine it runs into thousands. Can you confirm ?

I can only surmise that the dogs are bred for a specific purpose. Some puppies don't make the grade and those that can't be homed are put down. Those that do make the grade can only have limited usefulness in their prime and I doubt they can become pets.

So the hunts must get through a hell of a lot of dogs. Seems a lot effort to me and far easier economically to shoot foxes.

I do find it odd that the usual debates for and against surround the foxes and not the hounds.

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Don't buy that argument to be honest. When fox hunting was legal, other means of controlling far outnumbered those killed by the hunt.

The other methods also don't involve the breeding of thousands of other animals (and extermination) to support it. It seems an incredible amount or organisation and industry to control fox numbers.

I reiterate I'm not making a moral point here, just trying to tease out a bit of honesty. It's a sport, albeit an old one that gives a lot of people pleasure.

I can never find consistent figures about the numbers of hounds that are bred and put down each year in the pursuit of a fox. But I would imagine it runs into thousands. Can you confirm ?

I can only surmise that the dogs are bred for a specific purpose. Some puppies don't make the grade and those that can't be homed are put down. Those that do make the grade can only have limited usefulness in their prime and I doubt they can become pets.

So the hunts must get through a hell of a lot of dogs. Seems a lot effort to me and far easier economically to shoot foxes.

I do find it odd that the usual debates for and against surround the foxes and not the hounds.

On that basis, and I'm not disagreeing with you, that would make Greyhound racing an equally unacceptable sport!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On that basis, and I'm not disagreeing with you, that would make Greyhound racing an equally unacceptable sport!

Possibly, but again it's not something I tend to moralise on, because I eat meat.

The only thing I have a problem with is the nature of the debate around fox hunting.

It all centres around the fox. I have a problem with debate on both sides because of this.

The other I'd really like to see are some proper stats to try and gauge in my own mind whether fox hunting was effective.

To give you are idea I've just read on a site that fox hunting killed 22,000 foxes a year but 10,000 hounds were put down to support it. No idea is that's correct - but if so, for every two foxes killed you need to breed a dog and put it down at say half it's natural life span. Seems a lot of effort to me, especially as more appear to be killed by cars.

Does anyone know ?

Last edited:

Camicus

Fox hunts caught 13,987 foxes last season, of which 8,896 (64% ) were 'above ground' and
5,091 (36% ) were dug.
the numbers of hounds "put to sleep" Hunts per annum in the UK is probably somewhere between 4,942 and 7,302 cant get exact figures because as seen on here Hunts arnt forthcomming with the truth I mean numbers

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I once worked with a bloke who went hunting. He was genuinely completely unaware of how many hounds his hunt put down each year at a young age. Hadn't even thought about it.

Arguably it's not really a central issue. The hounds are really like any other form of livestock, bred and killed to support a human activity. It's usually eating, but in this case it's hunting. Worth pointing out I guess that than fox hunting ban hasn't stopped it.

Sorry to repeat myself but this really is the central issue to be debated, I think.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
And don't forget there are PEADOS on every street corner just waiting to snatch your children the minute you're not looking.

There were paedo's on the streets 40 years ago. No change there.

- - - Updated - - -

And horse-racing.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Fox hunts caught 13,987 foxes last season, of which 8,896 (64% ) were 'above ground' and
5,091 (36% ) were dug.
the numbers of hounds "put to sleep" Hunts per annum in the UK is probably somewhere between 4,942 and 7,302 cant get exact figures because as seen on here Hunts arnt forthcomming with the truth I mean numbers

In 2011, more than 7,000 homeless dogs were put down after their owners abandoned them - 20 a day, or one per hour.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was listening to ABC radio driving to work this morning and there was a report about the 'Culling For Cancer'.
For 2 weekends every year, in the Esperance region they go out and kill as many foxes, feral cats and rabbits as they can and businesses sponsor them to the tune of $5 per kill and you have to cut off the tails and show them as proof of kill.
Last weekend they raised in excess of $1500 for the Flying Doctors,it's just the way things are done here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here