Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Forget your GB News, a new beast is on the way

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
1. JK Rowling expressed her views publicy (using her considerable influence and profile to do so). Some people agreed (vocally) and some disagreed (vocally) with her. How has she been 'cancelled'? I just see groups of people disagreeing with each other.

2. It terms of your views on the issue in question, I will only reflect that you could replace the term 'transgender and binary' with 'gay' and you have basically re-written a Sun/Daily Mail editorial from the 1970's/80's. They were as wrong then as you are now. In my opinion, obviously (and I am fairly certain in the opinion of many others - as for those below the age of 40, what you term a 'vocal minority' is in fact a vast majority).

There are plenty of gay, bisexual and lesbian people who are gender critical. They are concerned that the ideology behind being " born in the wrong body" has a homophobic core.
Tomboy and effeminate boys have always existed. It seems to me that now they can "treat" it with life changing surgery and a lifetime of drugs.
I wonder who would benefit most from that?

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Wonder how long it’ll take for this one to register zero viewers

Meanwhile CNN+ and Buzzfeed have gone bust, CNN and Twitter taken over this year. It seems the problems are at the other end of the political spectrum.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There are plenty of gay, bisexual and lesbian people who are gender critical. They are concerned that the ideology behind being " born in the wrong body" has a homophobic core.
Tomboy and effeminate boys have always existed. It seems to me that now they can "treat" it with life changing surgery and a lifetime of drugs.
I wonder who would benefit most from that?

I don't know how to multi quote, so:

'there are plenty of gay, bisexual and lesbian people who are gender critical' So what?

'Tomboys and effeminate boys have always existed' You think that is what transgender means? Really? Not much point in a debate then. But still...

'now they can "treat" it with life changing surgery and a lifetime of drugs' Whereas previously many young transgender people have 'treated' it by killing themselves. But hey, they were just 'tomboys' or 'effeminate boys' right?

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a debate about the best way to deal with children who believe themselves to be Trans. But that debate should start with 'what is the best way to deal with these young people as individuals'? Not 'oh sex is biological and they are just Tomboy's and effeminate boys, they will grow out of it'.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think JK Rowling was banned from the recent Harry Potter reunions 20 years on from the first book due to her rather disturbing views.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think JK Rowling was banned from the recent Harry Potter reunions 20 years on from the first book due to her rather disturbing views.

I don't know if she was "banned" in the literal sense; more that the three main cast have all had pretty public disagreements with her views and a re-union show without the three main characters would be shit.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I don't know how to multi quote, so:

'there are plenty of gay, bisexual and lesbian people who are gender critical' So what?

'Tomboys and effeminate boys have always existed' You think that is what transgender means? Really? Not much point in a debate then. But still...

'now they can "treat" it with life changing surgery and a lifetime of drugs' Whereas previously many young transgender people have 'treated' it by killing themselves. But hey, they were just 'tomboys' or 'effeminate boys' right?

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a debate about the best way to deal with children who believe themselves to be Trans. But that debate should start with 'what is the best way to deal with these young people as individuals'? Not 'oh sex is biological and they are just Tomboy's and effeminate boys, they will grow out of it'.
I don't think they will grow out of it! They will grow up to be gay/lesbian/bisexual.
Transgender by my definition is somebody who has had sexual realignment surgery.
I am not denying there are people who have to change their sex (not gender) to feel happy and complete. I do feel strongly that should not happen to any child.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Dont you think thats funny coming from a gimp who said he was leaving NSC a short while ago

Regards
DF

I do, but I think he is a genuinely unhappy man. So bitter. I think if he left NSC, like a few other post-whores on here, he'd have f all left in life.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

Were her views disturbing? I read the article that caused all the initial kerfuffle and was profoundly undisturbed. When I tried to ask what was so disturbing about her views from those who were making a fuss, it became clear that all bar one hadn’t even read the post she’d made, and were getting disturbed on general principles “because J K Rowling had outed herself as transphobic.” They still couldn’t tell me how. It struck me as Twitter hysteria at its finest. I read nothing more sinister than “shouldn’t there be a debate on some of the finer points around this?” in her post.

That the lobby involved were powerful enough to effectively get the creator of an entire imaginary world uninvited from what was supposed to be a retrospective of that world, struck me as unfortunate, petty, and reflected poorly on those involved in making the decision, not the author.

I did not detect a syllable of hate or transphobia in what J.K Rowling wrote, and would still be interested in learning what those who believe her to be transphobic have seen that I’ve missed. (Just maybe not here) - apologies for indulging a tangent.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Just realised I’ve been hooked by Crodo. When will I learn to always look at who posted something before responding?

I think I’ll go and make a comment about cooking oils now…

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
:facepalm: Cancel Culture in action ... Piers Morgan was correct.

[Only joking].

I know you were only joking - but if people are only going to contribute to a thread with the sole purpose of calling another member a gimp then they can expect their stay to be a short one. Call it cancel culture, call it common decency, call it what you want.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Were her views disturbing? I read the article that caused all the initial kerfuffle and was profoundly undisturbed. When I tried to ask what was so disturbing about her views from those who were making a fuss, it became clear that all bar one hadn’t even read the post she’d made, and were getting disturbed on general principles “because J K Rowling had outed herself as transphobic.” They still couldn’t tell me how. It struck me as Twitter hysteria at its finest. I read nothing more sinister than “shouldn’t there be a debate on some of the finer points around this?” in her post.

That the lobby involved were powerful enough to effectively get the creator of an entire imaginary world uninvited from what was supposed to be a retrospective of that world, struck me as unfortunate, petty, and reflected poorly on those involved in making the decision, not the author.

I did not detect a syllable of hate or transphobia in what J.K Rowling wrote, and would still be interested in learning what those who believe her to be transphobic have seen that I’ve missed. (Just maybe not here) - apologies for indulging a tangent.
You are arguing with an Ernest parody.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Never mind the arguing, did anyone watch piers morgan's show?

Based off the opening section he's overdosed on the day today and brass eye.

"HEY! EVERYONE! Come and look how DANGEROUS and EDGEY I am"

53 seconds in before '"woke snowflakes" was mentioned.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Stuck it on earlier, just out of curiosity.

As I suspected, it's not for me. And that's fine – I've not issue with it, per se, apart from the fact that the guy couldn't read (or didn't have) an autocue, which looked pretty amateurish – there's clearly an audience for it, just not me.

I can't see it and GB News both surviving long-term, though. They are effectively going after the same audience, which isn't going to grow MASSIVELY anytime soon. Almost certainly going to be Talk/Murdoch that wins out. I wonder how many of the GBN mob start migrating across – and how soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here