Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flares and explosion on pitch at Croatia game

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the worst tournament ever. It's going to be remembered for low-scoring, defensive football with flares, fighting and thugs ruining it. UEFA - just abandon it. France is inept at security.
Don't worry, the next tournament is in Russia.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
To be fair, if the **** sat next to me was throwing flares and disrupting the game just as "our" team was about to claim a well deserved victory, I'd want to punch his stupid bloody lights out too. No wonder there was fighting in the stands.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone else just a little bit "secretly pleased" this has happened when there is no possibility of blaming England fans?

To be fair to them, they have responded very quickly to this:

Following further trouble in the Group D match between the Czech Republic and Croatia, UEFA have issued the following statement:
"There were flares, there was an explosion, and there have been clashes in the stands. An official was injured during the explosion. If there are any more scenes like this during the tournament, England will be disqualified."

I forgot Clattenburg was the ref. Obviously England's fault, what was I thinking !

To be fair to them, they have responded very quickly to this:

Following further trouble in the Group D match between the Czech Republic and Croatia, UEFA have issued the following statement:
"There were flares, there was an explosion, and there have been clashes in the stands. An official was injured during the explosion. If there are any more scenes like this during the tournament, England will be disqualified."

Yep. Clattenburg was clearly to blame.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've calmed down now and apologise for my outbursts but still stand by my comments that so far this is the most boring tournament on the pitch in my living memory. The 2010 World Cup in South Africa was shocking but got better in the knockout stages and there was no flares or violence.

I lost a fair bit of money on the Croatia match and fear there's more to come now.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If crooks can smuggle drugs and phones into penal institutions then inventive people will smuggle in flairs. Isn't rocket science. A determined person/s can always slip through with luck. Checking everyone to the point there is no doubt that they are clean will mean queuing for 4 to 24 hrs to gain entrance.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Shocking scenes.

About 20 flares got thrown on the pitch, as they were clearing them off, something exploded under one of the stewards which sent him flying. Huge fighting then broke out in the Croatian end - seemingly among themselves. They're bossing the game, looking one of the best sides too.

Flares on pitch, agreed.

Firework exploding on pitch scaring/alarming/shocking steward agreed.

Huge fighting in Croatian end? ........Scuffles amongst their own more like.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Seems as though blinding lasers are a thing of the past and now the new fad is for glowing red-hot smoky flash-bangy pyrotechnics.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Seems as though blinding lasers are a thing of the past and now the new fad is for glowing red-hot smoky flash-bangy pyrotechnics.

Wait till Wednesday turn up and scare the shit out of the eastern Europeans with lethal mobile phone lights......

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
This is the worst tournament ever. It's going to be remembered for low-scoring, defensive football with flares, fighting and thugs ruining it. UEFA - just abandon it. France is inept at security. All we need now is a terrorist attack. :down:

I agree.It's a dire tournament.You just don't have the standard of international teams or players as in the past.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is the worst tournament ever. It's going to be remembered for low-scoring, defensive football with flares, fighting and thugs ruining it. UEFA - just abandon it. France is inept at security. All we need now is a terrorist attack. :down:

It's because they have this stupid 3rd place qualification.

If your losing 1-0 you are better of sticking than going for it due to goal difference.

You shouldn't be able to progress to the next round with a point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here