Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Gig at the Amex

garethlewes

Nov 9, 2010
Stadium rock is shite. Bands that play stadium rock are usually sell-out shite.

The Cure? Past it and not a stadium band
Levellers? Past it and not a stadium band
FBS? What, in a stadium? Crap idea. And he's past it.
The Who? 2 are dead and of the other 2 who are still alive, one's a paedo and the other's voice is shot to pieces.
Led Zep? Past it long long long ago
Pearl Jam? Past it and Eddie Vedder's best stuff in the last ten years has been solo stuff or collaborations away from PJ.
Michael Buble? Music for people who aren't into music. That might work.
U2? I'd rather wear a Palace top and go down on Jo Brand whilst being fisted by Jeremy Hardy than listen to Bono.
Muse? Much much better at huge festivals with crowds that sweep out as far as the eye can see and a PA system you can hear for miles. (as long as they don't play their last album. Didn't care for it much)
Kasabian? hahahahaha! With Toploader supporting no doubt. That would be my dream team. Blandness personified.

The U2 bit, someone must have a secret fantasy they have just told us all about. The MUSE bit I went to Wembley when they were there they were amazing, I have a friend who saw them at a Festival and said it was about the same I think they can pull off a stadium gig (thats probably why they always win best live band).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bet its something safe and grim. Like Bryan Ferry or Jools Holland or one of these other acts that play gigs at castles in the Summertime. Take That at a pinch. They only want to make sure the toilets don't flood and the trains can cope. They don't want anything that can go pear-shaped and cause adverse Argus headlines.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Bet its something safe and grim.

That's not really TB's style though is it? he's more Best of the Best when it comes to the stadium. That brings us back to Muse when it comes to live rock shows on a grand scale.

They don't want anything that can go pear-shaped and cause adverse Argus headlines.

I really can't imagine TB or his team lie awake at night worrying about what's in the local rag! In any case, if you steer clear of Oasis (who aren't an option anyway) and the heavy metal crowd you don't hear much about problems after stadium gigs, whoever is playing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's not really TB's style though is it? he's more Best of the Best when it comes to the stadium. That brings us back to Muse when it comes to live rock shows on a grand scale.

I really can't imagine TB or his team lie awake at night worrying about what's in the local rag! In any case, if you steer clear of Oasis (who aren't an option anyway) and the heavy metal crowd you don't hear much about problems after stadium gigs, whoever is playing.

IMHO he's going to want a docile crowd above all, nothing to jeopardise the Safety Certificate. And nothing so popular that its going to have ticketless punters smashing their way into the place or abseiling down the walls. Just a hunch :shrug:

Michael Bubbly it is then. Bah!

Bigblonde1

Jul 10, 2008
Hopefully the club have already approached The Stone Temple Pilots for the first gig (providing the set list contains nothing from their last album!)
and if michael Bubble turns up i want first go with the sniper rifle!!!!!!!!!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Don't forget, if there is a gig it will have to be an act who are touring in the summer (or local I guess). Plus, it's clearly not going to be Muse or U2, since their size arena is Wembley rather than a provincial stadium - apparently the Amex won't be big enough to fit in all the idiots that want to see these bands!

Of all the acts so far mentioned I'd say Jools Holland is most likely!

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
OK, continuing my theme of Sussex based/born etc.. who from these?

Peter Andre
James ( Tim Booth lives or lived in Brighton)
Nick Cave
David Gilmour
British Sea Power
Sigor Ros - well bass player lived in Brighton for a while
Nigel Kennedy ( saw him at the Pompey game)
Bat for Lashes
James Morrison
Captain Sensible

Should be enough of a mix there to cater for all tastes?

Holly Willoughby can compere the evening.

What do you think?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Wasn't one of the Stranglers from Sussex?

Great band but not a stadium headliner in their own right though.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
OK, continuing my theme of Sussex based/born etc.. who from these?

Peter Andre
James ( Tim Booth lives or lived in Brighton)
Nick Cave
David Gilmour
British Sea Power
Sigor Ros - well bass player lived in Brighton for a while
Nigel Kennedy ( saw him at the Pompey game)
Bat for Lashes
James Morrison
Captain Sensible

Should be enough of a mix there to cater for all tastes?

Holly Willoughby can compere the evening.

What do you think?

Bat for Lashes / Sigur Ros double headliner please. Oh, if only.

glentana

glentana
Oct 6, 2010
hastings
Do you think we could get Slade to do a reunion, as they played those stonking songs at the Goldstone in the 70's??!!!
:falmer::amex::ascarf::falmer::amex::ascarf::amex::falmer::ascarf::amex::falmer:
Glad someone else remembers that. I was in the NS that day but can't remember what they played. I can only remember singing "who the f***g 'ell are you" as you did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here