Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial info on the club from guardian website- Directors taking it in!

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
speaking as someone who does not expect mr bloom to bankrupt himself
or the club and is quite happy to see our wage bill being reduced I am
not as happy to see us spending more than all our competitors on our
directors wages.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That Guardian article is a bit of an eye-opener! I used to wonder how we could have pretty close to the biggest home gates in the division (with highest prices) but still lose £14M a year......bit of a shock that we're only 6th. highest turnover (I suppose that must include parachute payments for some clubs), and considering how much financial prudence has been part of our wage structure, that we're 8th. highest payers in the division.

Some of the other losses are staggering, but even some of the better run clubs are losing money. This is a bubble that surely must burst (with catastrophic results for the future of the beautiful game) one day. If FFP is going to do any good, the only valid solution would be two points deducted for every million pounds lost. That would give us some very odd league tables for a few years, but it MIGHT just save the day.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Drew, you have the wrong end of the stick. I'm suggesting the reverse by observing that some people fully understand why Messi gets paid more than Kerry Mayo but then dont agree that some directors are paid more than others. That is not to say that directors are always worth what they are paid, but worth is subjective. Bloom is paying their wages and if he is happy with their salaries then they are by definition worth what they are being paid. Like anyone, Barber will try and maximise his salary and I dont hold that against him. It will be Bloom who will look at it and decide whether he is worth it.

Apologies, I misinterpreted your post. My question is therefore aimed at those on whom you were observing.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Are people deliberately misreading this report? As far as I know most of the directors have made large investments in the club. They are all fans apart from possibly the executive directors who are paid to run the club.
Tony Bloom and his friends have given us a great stadium, great Academy facilities and are putting in place everything we need to be a Premier League Club. That includes the right people to run the club.
In the bad old days there were assets to be stripped by Archer, Bellotti etc. Are people really so thick that they don't realize the only assets we have got have been provided by Tony. It's the opposite of asset stripping and still we get moaning gits on here. Give me strength!

I quite frankly think it's disgusting that any of the directors have the cheek to take any money back from the club. I mean it's not like Bloom has put over £100 million of his own money into the stadium and training gr....Oh.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
speaking as someone who does not expect mr bloom to bankrupt himself
or the club and is quite happy to see our wage bill being reduced I am
not as happy to see us spending more than all our competitors on our
directors wages.

It is one director who has got the £450k or whatever it was and that sum undoubtedly went to Barber - that amount will have been made up of a substantial basic salary with a not insubstantial bonus on top! Tony Bloom thinks he is worth it so, with respect, it does not matter a jot what you or I think!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here