Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial info on the club from guardian website- Directors taking it in!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Are people deliberately misreading this report? As far as I know most of the directors have made large investments in the club. They are all fans apart from possibly the executive directors who are paid to run the club.
Tony Bloom and his friends have given us a great stadium, great Academy facilities and are putting in place everything we need to be a Premier League Club. That includes the right people to run the club.
In the bad old days there were assets to be stripped by Archer, Bellotti etc. Are people really so thick that they don't realize the only assets we have got have been provided by Tony. It's the opposite of asset stripping and still we get moaning gits on here. Give me strength!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I posted this on the other thread this morning but look at Palace.

Directors’ pay No directors were paid

They manage to run their club, sell players for a good profit, get promoted and yet take no pay out of it.

We have well paid directors, can't keep managers and lose players to other clubs who can pay more.

Something is wrong somewhere.

I'd be incredibly surprised if they did not take any pay at all from their endeavours. Nothing is wrong for a director to get paid for doing their job.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wages 90% of turnover!!

This is where the problem lays in our game. Overpaid players from top to bottom.

What would the wage % of a 'normal' business be?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The Guardian is a nice read for affluent liberals and London yuppies in Brighton. I ignored the article after Bloom was described as a professional gambler. FFS do the cool dudes of Camden and now the Seven Dials genuinely believe that's how the bloke made his money?
Sorry some of the other stuff might be of interest but ........

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
The Guardian is a nice read for affluent liberals and London yuppies in Brighton. I ignored the article after Bloom was described as a professional gambler. FFS do the cool dudes of Camden and now the Seven Dials genuinely believe that's how the bloke made his money?
Sorry some of the other stuff might be of interest but ........

how did he make his money then?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
how did he make his money then?

Playing poker as the Guardian with its deep understanding of all matters financial and otherwise will tell you. I'm not an expert, I don't get a Guardian writer's salary, but I doubt whether it's as straightforward as the boys and girls from Clerkenwell suggest. Hence my comment.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Playing poker as the Guardian with its deep understanding of all matters financial and otherwise will tell you. I'm not an expert, I don't get a Guardian writer's salary, but I doubt whether it's as straightforward as the boys and girls from Clerkenwell suggest. Hence my comment.

So you get het up about them claiming he was a professional gambler but are not prepared to offer and alternative? Forgive me for the suggestion but i think you may be letting your dislike for the Guardian cloud your judgement here.

My understanding was that he made his money from playing poker and selling his betting website business. This is not really a million miles away from what can be described as a professional gambler ti my mind.

Unless you know of a revenue source that i don't, I think it is a reasonably accurate description (subject to the articles word limit anyway).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I posted this on the other thread this morning but look at Palace.

Directors’ pay No directors were paid

They manage to run their club, sell players for a good profit, get promoted and yet take no pay out of it.

We have well paid directors, can't keep managers and lose players to other clubs who can pay more.

Something is wrong somewhere.

To be fair, palace can't keep managers either ( Freedman, Dowie etc), and have lost players to other clubs who pay more as well ( Moses, Zaha, Clyne etc.)

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I dont remember the information about Director pay being disclosed in previous reviews of the clubs finances that were detailed on here. This has been a bit of a surprise. Anyone know why that is? Also, we know about TB's massive financial support of the club. Do we know what the other directors have contributed? Is it listed anywhere?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Kings Cross, actually.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I dont remember the information about Director pay being disclosed in previous reviews of the clubs finances that were detailed on here. This has been a bit of a surprise. Anyone know why that is? Also, we know about TB's massive financial support of the club. Do we know what the other directors have contributed? Is it listed anywhere?

The highest earner was certainly discussed. Speculation was that a lot of it was performance based bonuses. I think his basic salary is nothing like that amount.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I agree with your comment, a business needs good solid directors/chief executive to ensure the business is being run properly and to look at new avenues of income. Good people command a decent wage.

You get what you pay for.

Good solid Tory values there, also known as "I'm All right Jack ".

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good solid Tory values there, also known as "I'm All right Jack ".

It's not a tory value; it's facing reality. Someone like Paul Barber could walk into a job at loads of top clubs, so he's not going to come cheap. Same applies to players; do you think most of out first team squad would have signed for us if we hadn't have offered them wages in the region of 400-500k a year?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not a tory value; it's facing reality. Someone like Paul Barber could walk into a job at loads of top clubs, so he's not going to come cheap. Same applies to players; do you think most of out first team squad would have signed for us if we hadn't have offered them wages in the region of 400-500k a year?

Players wages are completely separate, all clubs pay over the top especially with the wages the Premiership clubs can offer, that's life, but £400k a year to Barber is obscene.

In fact this seems to me to be another example of Bankers wages ( only at the top end, of course ) when they expect a bonus equal or more than their annual salary. So, He's good at his job, give him a slightly better car and extra few days holiday a year.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not a tory value; it's facing reality. Someone like Paul Barber could walk into a job at loads of top clubs

Really?

Feb 14, 2010
Its interesting that people will not mind different players getting paid different wages but do mind that directors do. Just an observation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here