Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial info on the club from guardian website- Directors taking it in!

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
To be fair, palace can't keep managers either ( Freedman, Dowie etc), and have lost players to other clubs who pay more as well ( Moses, Zaha, Clyne etc.)

Not keeping managers applies to most clubs not in the top 6 .
Not many managers reach the natural end of a contract.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
FFS, Tony is losing 8 million+ of his OWN MONEY every year.

If he wants to pay Paul Barber or whoever a high salary/bonus in order to minimise this loss then that's his right.

The ingratitude here is epic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How many clubs have had successful managers leave for the weird reasons we have though?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

That is pretty much my point. It was a reply to a poster claiming that palace was different to us in this respect.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Players wages are completely separate, all clubs pay over the top especially with the wages the Premiership clubs can offer, that's life, but £400k a year to Barber is obscene.

Everyone at every business is paid exactly what those at top believe they are worth. IF Barber is paid £400k+ then good luck to him, Tony and the rest of the board obviously feel that he justifies that salary. Whatever you or anyone else thinks is immaterial and quite frankly I know who I'd rather trust.

In fact this seems to me to be another example of Bankers wages ( only at the top end, of course ) when they expect a bonus equal or more than their annual salary. So, He's good at his job, give him a slightly better car and extra few days holiday a year.

Oh my days! :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
" Everyone at the top of every business is paid exactly what those at top believe they are worth. "

Corrected for you. I'm quite convinced I am worth at least 1 1/2 times my current salary but, I'm not going to get that now am I ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
" Everyone at the top of every business is paid exactly what those at top believe they are worth. "

Corrected for you. I'm quite convinced I am worth at least 1 1/2 times my current salary but, I'm not going to get that now am I ?

Not a clue, I've got no idea what you do or how good you are at it. If you truly believe that then make it happen.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I posted this on the other thread this morning but look at Palace.

Directors’ pay No directors were paid

They manage to run their club, sell players for a good profit, get promoted and yet take no pay out of it.

We have well paid directors, can't keep managers and lose players to other clubs who can pay more.

Something is wrong somewhere.

The Palace owners work at the club (right down to modelling the kits).

Bloom pays out £480k to an experienced football CEO so he can concentrate on making (presumably, even more) money elsewhere.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The Director's pay is not the issue from David Conn's report. What stands out for me is a whopping 90% of our turnover goes on wages which is completely unsustainable. And with a few exceptions, it confirms that where you finish correlates, more or less, with how much you spend on wages. Those of who bucked the trend, Palace, Hull, Derby, for example, have done so with very good managers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Palace owners work at the club (right down to modelling the kits).

Bloom pays out £480k to an experienced football CEO so he can concentrate on making (presumably, even more) money elsewhere.

It's so that he can spend quite a bit of the year in Australia and so delegates the running of the club.

I love the stadium and appreciate that Tony Bloom puts his own money into the club, but that doesn't mean that his decisions can't be questioned.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
The Director's pay is not the issue from David Conn's report. What stands out for me is a whopping 90% of our turnover goes on wages which is completely unsustainable. And with a few exceptions, it confirms that where you finish correlates, more or less, with how much you spend on wages. Those of who bucked the trend, Palace, Hull, Derby, for example, have done so with very good managers.

Proves what we've all known for years in that football is screwed financially. All clubs especially those in the Championship are being supported by their owners. Palace were spending the minimum you could get away with and were losing 5m pa. Brightons losses are partly down to the stadium running costs but would still lose money despite 25k+ crowds ie the high wages in the prem filtering down to the Championship are making ticket income just a nice add on which is ridiculous eg an extra 10k average crowd is just about 3.2m which is great but buys two prem cast offs. The Premiership payment that each Championship club gets is the biggest income source for many clubs.

It's unsustainable and everyone needs to pray they get into the Premiership or keep their owners financially stable. The biggest assets clubs have are owners that are true fans, something that both Brighton and Palace are lucky to have.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If I give my nephew a new bike, I wouldn't tell him where or when he has to go on it. One step further, I would not pay someone a salary to tell him where to go on it.

If I did tell him, I would expect criticism.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

That was the 8th lowest in the division. Palace spent all their money on wages + some, they just sold their Zaha and a couple of others to cover it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Is that a reference to Freedman, Holloway or both?!

Freedman had an eye for a bargain & brought well, (Bolasie, Murray Ward etc) and had one or two very good players like Zaha. They were organised and hard to beat. olloway obviously inherited that side and although he nearly blew it, Palace went for it when it counted. But less said about that the better.

But more generally, Steve Bruce and Steve MacLaren are both excellent coaches, know the division inside out and know how to win ugly.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Lol. People believe bloom made his money from gambling. Really? How much can someone make from poker. Property is his big earner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here