Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial info on the club from guardian website- Directors taking it in!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's so that he can spend quite a bit of the year in Australia and so delegates the running of the club.

Yes. He doesn't go there on holiday.

I love the stadium and appreciate that Tony Bloom puts his own money into the club, but that doesn't mean that his decisions can't be questioned.

Well I think it's a good thing he pays an expert to run the club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are payments to directors used in the calculations for FFP?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Most directors of football clubs do it for the love of football, not as a career .
But as our directors are doing such a great job of hanging on to managers and attracting top players I'd say they are well worth it.

Where is your evidence that most directors do not take a salary? In the case of the Glazers, as I understand it, they don't take a salary but charge management and administration fees. How many other clubs do the same.

Oh dear - that's not a good news story considering everything that's gone on. Makes you wonder why we have the luxury of a director of football doesn't it when a manager can do the same job?

So you think as well as running the first team, a manager in our league can successful run a scouting network, watch players, negotiate contracts and agree transfer fees etc etc. Personally, I'd rather the manager concentrate on the first team.

Wages 90% of turnover!!

This is where the problem lays in our game. Overpaid players from top to bottom.

What would the wage % of a 'normal' business be?

Depends on what business you are talking about. A service industry will have very high ratio of wages to turnover but it would be completely different in a manufacturing industry. In football, the product being sold (for want of a better phrase) are the footballers. If you want to blame anyone, blame Jimmy Hill!!!

So you get het up about them claiming he was a professional gambler but are not prepared to offer and alternative? Forgive me for the suggestion but i think you may be letting your dislike for the Guardian cloud your judgement here.

My understanding was that he made his money from playing poker and selling his betting website business. This is not really a million miles away from what can be described as a professional gambler ti my mind.

Unless you know of a revenue source that i don't, I think it is a reasonably accurate description (subject to the articles word limit anyway).

My understanding is that playing poker is only a hobby and his career earnings from the professional circuit are less than £2m. Yes he had an online gambling site and sold that for massive profit and may well hold some of the licences for the software. Finally, rumour has it that he has made money from property development in Australia

Its interesting that people will not mind different players getting paid different wages but do mind that directors do. Just an observation.

Care to clarify? Are you suggesting that all 10 directors should be getting paid the same and if so, why?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
league tables in a few years will just be a league table of richest clubs down to poorest clubs.

we are nearly there now.

Feb 14, 2010
Drew, you have the wrong end of the stick. I'm suggesting the reverse by observing that some people fully understand why Messi gets paid more than Kerry Mayo but then dont agree that some directors are paid more than others. That is not to say that directors are always worth what they are paid, but worth is subjective. Bloom is paying their wages and if he is happy with their salaries then they are by definition worth what they are being paid. Like anyone, Barber will try and maximise his salary and I dont hold that against him. It will be Bloom who will look at it and decide whether he is worth it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
" Everyone at the top of every business is paid exactly what those at top believe they are worth. "

Corrected for you. I'm quite convinced I am worth at least 1 1/2 times my current salary but, I'm not going to get that now am I ?

Now you just need to convince the man at the top, and you will get your salary upped, or you can convince some other employer that you are worth more.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He made his money from Premierbet and other investments and, put it into property to sustain his fortunes. To describe as a professional gambler is very one dimensional.

Exactly. He is certainly not prepared to gamble with the Albion. However, there are potential property interests between Lancing and Shoreham Airport and a hotel near Falmer Village.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Who are they and what do they do?

Very very rich of the club to keep talking about ffp with this going begins the scenes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was awarded CEO of the year out of all 92 clubs for a reason.

Fair point. But it was voted for by readers of a magazine which is often more a reflection of who has better social media.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
He made his money from Premierbet and other investments and, put it into property to sustain his fortunes. To describe as a professional gambler is very one dimensional.

He didn't make much out of Premierbet. It was sold in 2005 to Interactive Investors for 1m

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Someone like Paul Barber could walk into a job at loads of top clubs

It's actually quite touching to see all that meaningless "Premier League Ready" froth actually getting lapped up somewhere. Sweet.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It's actually quite touching to see all that meaningless "Premier League Ready" froth actually getting lapped up somewhere. Sweet.

Premier League ready isn't about what you do to get there. Its about being ready when you are there.

It's like when we built the Amex we were building a 22,000 stadium, but we knew we wanted to eventually expand it to 30,000. So we built it so when we were ready for the expansion we could build it as cheaply and quickly as possible.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Premier League ready isn't about what you do to get there. Its about being ready when you are there.

"When" rather than "if" we get there - of course. That's the prevailing mindset: just look at that stadium. Of course we'll go up.

Apart from the uncomfortable truth that good managers and good players keep leaving, for some reason. Derby - who were miles better than us - didn't get promoted today. Please remind me again why promotion is so inevitable?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
"When" rather than "if" we get there - of course. That's the prevailing mindset: just look at that stadium. Of course we'll go up.

Apart from the uncomfortable truth that good managers and good players keep leaving, for some reason. Derby - who were miles better than us - didn't get promoted today. Please remind me again why promotion is so inevitable?

You can't be ready on an if. You have to have the mindset that you will get there otherwise you won't have the convictions to do the things that make you Premier League ready.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Good to see NSC still has a bunch of people who'll see the negative in anything. Cock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here