Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film Weekly

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The acting is a lot to do with directors directing actors as if they were on stage. As the craft of screen acting developed and people started to study techniques such as Meisner, acting became more natural and easier to watch. Early films are veryt theatrical and over-acted, if you can get past that some are very good.

For me, the shift to acting that I can enjoy happened around the late 60s/early-mid 70s.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The acting is a lot to do with directors directing actors as if they were on stage. As the craft of screen acting developed and people started to study techniques such as Meisner, acting became more natural and easier to watch. Early films are veryt theatrical and over-acted, if you can get past that some are very good.

Interesting and informative, thank you. I think the shift to acting I'm able to "get into" happened around late 60s/early 70s.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I watched a couple of films earlier today (Together, the rather good Swedish 70s commune part-comedy, and Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame, a Hark Tsui film with some kung fu and ace detective work), but i have room for another. So, i am just at the start of The Keeper on ITV4 +1. Steven Seagull, with the hair of the son of the Munster and the face of a roasted apricot, got shot in the heart by his trusted colleague. He's such a bad actor that he couldn't even look a bit dead, and, an utter shame, but he's not dead at all. Within a week, he's back looking to chop people with his wrinkly palms. I wonder what next for the squinty lardarse.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
If anyone hasn't seen it or has and wants a second or third glance, then Blue Valentine is on Filmfour in about an hour. I've got it set to record. Epicly romantic and heartbreaking in one. Ukulele fans may be pleased too.

blue-valentine.jpg

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Saturday (today)
- Hulk - 2.55pm-5.40pm ITV1
- Attack On The Iron Coast - 6.10pm-7.50pm Channel 5
- Night At The Museum 2 - 7pm-9m C4
- Beowulf - 11pm-1.05am ITV1

Sunday
- Unknown - 9pm-11.15pm C4

Friday
- Tropic Thunder - 11.20pm -1.05am BBC 1

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Saw Gangster Squad with my kids the other day. (Both over 15!) My daughter somehow managed to fall asleep despite the noise. Overall I would suggest anyone thinking of going would be wise to hang on to their money. I have high expectations of gangster films as there are some excellent one s around. This one was well below standard. Did not care for any of the characters- good or bad and it seemed to go from one fight/ shooting scene to the next. The violence was almost comic book in its style and did not seem realistic in the slightest. 3/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone with a tv recorder could i suggest taping Cold Weather on Tuesday night on Filmfour. I watched it a few months ago and rather enjoyed it. Part of the mumblecore sort of scene at first where people rather blankly babble, like a feelingless you or I would day by day, but it develops into a rather intriguing crime mystery. A mixture of good humoured ordinaryness and and very light detective work.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If anyone hasn't seen it or has and wants a second or third glance, then Blue Valentine is on Filmfour in about an hour. I've got it set to record. Epicly romantic and heartbreaking in one. Ukulele fans may be pleased too.

blue-valentine.jpg

Very much want to see. Missed though!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cement Garden doing the rounds on F4 at moment. I urge you to view.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I recorded it from sky arts2 the other evening. Watched it yesterday and the film standard was intensely cheap, but it was a decent enough piece, unsettling and uncomfortably gripping.

It's certainly cheap and takes oem time to get into but reasonably worth it I say.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I recorded it from sky arts2 the other evening. Watched it yesterday and the film standard was intensely cheap, but it was a decent enough piece, unsettling and uncomfortably gripping.
If you want a film that Grips you, 'Wrecked' is the film for you.
Worst film i've seen in my life, but it gripped me.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Few good films on this weekend, will post them up when I find some more. :thumbsup:

Saturday

Saving Private Ryan 10pm-1.15am C4

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Of my this week tapings i have a toss-up tonight between Ip Man 2, Croupier, The Neon Bible or a rewatch of the very lightly amusing mumblecore detective tale in Cold Weather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here