Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film Weekly

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
Watching so many films recently reminded me of how many times the Wilhelm Scream is used. Simple things for simple minds and all that, but I find it hilarious. How it made my day when I was playing Red Dead Dedemption, put some bad guys on the deck and - lo and behold - there's the scream! I've now downloaded an app for the iThings so that, when I'm watching the football, I can press the button and add the sound effect when players dive. Oh, how I laugh!
The Wilhelm Scream - YouTube

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just watched Suspiria (rented). I tried to watch it before because it is held up as a masterpiece, but couldn't get into it so turned it off after ten minutes. I lasted half an hour before it became just background noise. Every "scary" scene is overshadowed by an annoyingly grating synth soundtrack that just takes you out of the moment (and it was so much louder than the dialogue I was constantly reaching for the remote to turn the volume up or down), the colours are so bright and colourful it takes away any seriousness, the dubbed voices were a distraction.

Not worth the hype, imo.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I see two classics on tonight. Rosemary's Baby at 1.05 on C4 and, insanely, Bonnie and Clyde at 3am on ITV. I'll tape Bonnie and Clyde for a tomorrow morning crime doublebill after the Big Steal.
Ah the joys of being too ill to go to work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
40 days of night is on tonight, ITV2, I think.

I'm no horror fan, so I don't have anything to judge it against, but I certainly enjoyed it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saturday, BBC3 10.05pm. The Prestige. I've started threads the last couple of times it's been on, so will just add it here. One of my favourite films of all time, and my favourite from Chris Nolan. The sort of film that gets better with every re-watch.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
About to watch Evil Dead 2. Following that record is set for Young Frankenstein. I was thinking of taping Catfish too. Thought it was reasonable in the cinema, but i can't be sure i'd sit through it again so soonly with so much else to get through on the bulging TiVo.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
About to watch '40 days and 40 nights' on ITV2+1

Had to buy another DVD storage unit today, getting around 15 DVD's tomorrow! :O

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ghost Dog - Way of the Samuari (sp), Film 4 1:15am Fri night/Sat morning.

A classic, and was one persons avatar, for ages, maybe [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION].

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Just finished watching Gran Torino, (Clint Eastwood) Just 1 of the 22 DVD's that arrived today. :lolol:

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Day After Tomorrow is on C4 after 'Is our weather getting worse' for all you doom and gloom theorists out there.

Inglourious Basterds is on after that on C4 at 10, followed by Hard Eight.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, is on at 10.55 on BBC1

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was going to watch Cemetery Junction on BBC2 at 21:45, anybody seen it ?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I am going to see Gangster Squad on Thursday which I think is its release date.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But surely the buck stops at the acting. Regardless of scenery, special effects, cinematography etc. and the acting in so many old films, especially child actors, is just so BAD that it makes it near impossible to "suspend disbelief".

Limitations of the time do not explain why the gun fight on the train in The Lady Vanishes is so casual, it's just awful film making irrespective of era.

The acting is a lot to do with directors directing actors as if they were on stage. As the craft of screen acting developed and people started to study techniques such as Meisner, acting became more natural and easier to watch. Early films are veryt theatrical and over-acted, if you can get past that some are very good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ghost Dog - Way of the Samuari (sp), Film 4 1:15am Fri night/Sat morning.

A classic, and was one persons avatar, for ages, maybe [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION].
and I'm just about to settle down to watch it.

Fingers crossed it's a good as I remember it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I have The Man With a Movie Camera planned to be recorded on Sky Arts 1 just gone midnight. 1929. Moscow. Supposed to be a beauty.

And i can't bring myself to watch the Iron Lady. T'would be the same as watching a celebration of the later life and politics of Robert Mugabe.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have The Man With a Movie Camera planned to be recorded on Sky Arts 1 just gone midnight. 1929. Moscow. Supposed to be a beauty.

And i can't bring myself to watch the Iron Lady. T'would be the same as watching a celebration of the later life and politics of Robert Mugabe.

It is more about dementia than politics. You won't miss anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here