[Film] Film 2022

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Caught Lamb with Noomi Rapace on DVD. I like a slow, moody foreign film with minimal dialogue sometimes. It kept me engaged. Best to watch without any knowledge or spoilers. it wasn't a revelation (and certainly not a Horror as quoted on the cover) but an interesting oddity, 7/10.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Firestarter...

Can see why it's got shitty reviews but, as a huge fan of 'Scanners', it was my cup of tea...

Bestest thing about the movie was John Carpenters brilliant soundtrack..So glad I saw him at the Dome a few years back

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see the lost city this evening. Was busier than I was expecting because it's been out a while and didn't seem such a big hit.

I enjoyed it. I like Daniel Radcliffe's polite evil english gentleman. I thought the freight plane pilot denying he'd ever killed anyone was perhaps the most hilarious line reading I've seen in a film in some time. Lots of funny lines through out, a few low periods where it got a bit dull, but enough funny to power through, and the cast were charming nough.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Everything Everywhere all at once. For the first time in my life I really do not know what to say. Not sure if it was a a masterpiece or a load of nonsense. I grew into it. It is absolutely bat shit crazy but has very deep and important messages in it. The score was immense. Acting was very good. Lead superb, Short Round first gig since temple of doom, the goonies at 53, Lee Curtis was a joy. So odd I need time. At the moment 8 out of 10. It is certainly a film if you watch it, you will never forget, good or bad, that is a guarantee

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Last Night In Soho

What a cracking film. I think Edgar Wright is a great director and this film is no exception. Lots of fun, sumptuous scenery and great looking lasses and chaps. And London looks fantastic. It gets rather dark shut never loses a sense of wonder. A really enjoyable spectacle.

Great to see Rita Tushingham too!

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched a few films recently.
Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, me and the Mrs both really enjoyed it, although she enjoyed the entire film, I like it up to the last 30mins or so where I think it went beyond ridiculous and was kind of stupid. Decent film but maybe should've reigned it in a bit.

Morbius. I liked this way more than the Mrs. She thought it was boring, I thought it was a nice change from Marvel to do something a bit slower paced and dark. Not for everyone but a decent flick.

Firestarter. Started off promising but towards the end became a snoozefest and a pile of crap. Not worth the effort.

Fantastic Beasts and Dumbledore something or other. Boooooring!!
Nothing happens, literally nothing. No action, didn't see the point in any of the story, was just pointless.

Memory, Liam Neeson film, same old churned out shite, ex assassin hunted by other ex assassin's, except he has a particular set of skills blah blah blah. I fell asleep it was that crap.

We've watched others too, but nothing worth mentioning.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Top Gun. Maverick. Simply this is the best blockbuster I have ever seen. It rates a 98 out of 100. Absolutely Outstanding

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Saw Top Gun yesterday and it is exactly what you want from a film like this.

I am always cautious of these type of films, they are normal a mixture of a reboot/remake but this was a proper sequel

Complete with Danger Zone playing in opening scene

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Over the weekend I watched a film from a couple of years ago called 'Lucky'. A woman is visited each day from a man who tries to kill her, when she fights him off he disappears only to return the next night. None of the people she turns to for help really take her seriously or do anything. It is a film that is a clear and obvious analogy for misogyny. There's no subtlety in the metaphor or symbolism.

Today I went to see the latest from Alex Garland called 'Men'. A women (Jesse Buckley) who has had a recent tragedy goes to stay in a country home, only to be subject to torment from a series of men (all played by Rory Kinnear) so I was expecting a similar theme of misogyny. And there was some there, but the main thrust of the woman's emotional journey and arc was about guilt and trauma. It was also a bit more subtle in the metaphor (while being quite graphic in some of it's scenes). Its big finale is full of symbolism, and it doesn't bother to really explain much, leaving things to the viewer to decide.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Everything Everywhere all at once. For the first time in my life I really do not know what to say. Not sure if it was a a masterpiece or a load of nonsense. I grew into it. It is absolutely bat shit crazy but has very deep and important messages in it. The score was immense. Acting was very good. Lead superb, Short Round first gig since temple of doom, the goonies at 53, Lee Curtis was a joy. So odd I need time. At the moment 8 out of 10. It is certainly a film if you watch it, you will never forget, good or bad, that is a guarantee
Watched it last night...I haven't laughed so much in ages but I echo many of the above...which gives some sense of the impact it has.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yesterday I saw MEN. Alex Garland’s latest. I like folk horror and the green man legend and all that. My take was that the men, all played by Kinnear were her emotions manifest after a particularly messy break up.

It was intriguing but not great. And by golly it got rather gory. I’ll just say hand, knife, letterbox.

I’m glad I saw it but it was no Ex-Machina.

I also saw Top Gun: Maverick.

It was okay. Quite good aerial combat scenes. John Hamm was good. I didn’t rate it anywhere near as much as others seem to.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Yesterday I saw MEN. Alex Garland’s latest. I like folk horror and the green man legend and all that. My take was that the men, all played by Kinnear were her emotions manifest after a particularly messy break up.

It was intriguing but not great. And by golly it got rather gory. I’ll just say hand, knife, letterbox.

I’m glad I saw it but it was no Ex-Machina.

I also saw Top Gun: Maverick.

It was okay. Quite good aerial combat scenes. John Hamm was good. I didn’t rate it anywhere near as much as others seem to.

I had a choice between these and am glad I went for Men. Feared Top Gun might make me even more stupid than I already am. Will probably go and see it, though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I had a choice between these and am glad I went for Men. Feared Top Gun might make me even more stupid than I already am. Will probably go and see it, though.

TG is entertaining enough but I don’t get the fuss over it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has the definition of 'All fur coat and no knickers' been updated to::-

'See Top Gun Maverick'

Yet, or not?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Everything Everywhere All at Once
I quite enjoyed this. There were some moments that I felt dragged, but also some moments of delightful WTFery, and generally just smething fresh and different.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I saw The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent a couple of days ago, and I have to say I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.
The whole film is ridiculous, over the top, not believable, but what do you expect from Nic Cage? What made it was the fact that he is constantly taking the piss out of himself, younger Nic with his floppy hair, leather jacket and ott facials is brilliant. Pedro Pascal works really well with him (the LSD scene was a giggle).
Not going to win any Oscars but it was definitely better than I expected.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Top Gun Mav on Monday. I really didn't enjoy the original an awful lot, but Mrs D wanted to see it, and I figured the cinema would be the best place to see such a film - big screen, big sound - and with all the hype about it being a great film, I was hoping it would be FAR better than the cringe-fest that is the original.

Well, apart from an opening montage on an aircraft carrier which was full of OTT poses, high-fives between people DOING THEIR JOB of sending planes off the ship, and suchlike, and a scene right at the end which Mrs D threw her hands up at the cheesy nature of it, I thought it was a decent film. The central story was, for me, a good one, well-paced and not full of yee-hah, god bless America malarkey. Extremely well filmed.

Off to see Men this afternoon, then have got The Bob's Burger's Movie and JPark: Dominion booked, so quite a diverse mix. The Bob's Burger one I was in two minds about having not seen the series, but Kermode's review showed he was in the same position as me and he thought the film was hilarious, so worth a try.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Top Gun: Maverick

Excellent. As good a blockbuster sequel as you could hope to watch.

If you're a fan of the first Top Gun you'll be a fan of this. If you're not you won't.

The first two thirds while following the pattern of the first film and including plenty of throwbacks to the original are actually quite somber and surprisingly sad. This is Maverick aged rather than the 25 year old hot shot maverick. He's still very clearly Maverick but he's older and wearier and lived in.

The final third, the mission part of the film, explodes into exactly what you want. Spectacular action in the skies, dogfighting, drama and near death.

The two parts come together to make a very satisfying follow up to the outstanding original.

If you didn't like the original then you can rest assured, all the things you dind't like are present in this one too, so save yourself the bother and don't watch it.

But, if you did like the original, you've got to go see this. It's Top Gun and they've nailed it!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Top Gun: Maverick

Excellent. As good a blockbuster sequel as you could hope to watch.

If you're a fan of the first Top Gun you'll be a fan of this. If you're not you won't.

The first two thirds while following the pattern of the first film and including plenty of throwbacks to the original are actually quite somber and surprisingly sad. This is Maverick aged rather than the 25 year old hot shot maverick. He's still very clearly Maverick but he's older and wearier and lived in.

The final third, the mission part of the film, explodes into exactly what you want. Spectacular action in the skies, dogfighting, drama and near death.

The two parts come together to make a very satisfying follow up to the outstanding original.

If you didn't like the original then you can rest assured, all the things you dind't like are present in this one too, so save yourself the bother and don't watch it.

But, if you did like the original, you've got to go see this. It's Top Gun and they've nailed it!

I agree with all this, I thought it was superb. I disagree though that people who did not like Top Gun may still enjoy this as it is vastly superior with a far better storyline and character development action sequences at a new level and very well made and paced from the start until the end

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports