Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Me and the Mrs revisited Top Gun a while ago as I told her I loved it as a kid, we both wish we hadn't. It's beyond cringey (especially the volleyball scene) and it's so homo-erotic (especially the volleyball scene!) I'm surprised brokeback mountain wasn't a spin off about Maverick, Iceman and Wolfman having a three way meaty dog fight.
This film is probably the reason I wanted to join the fleet air arm and still have a passion for aviation today, but I should've left it alone, and I can't see the new one being much better. I'll watch it, but I'm not expecting great things.

I watched Val Kilmer’s self filmed documentary a while ago. He apparently films all the time behind the scenes and has done for decades.
There’s some footage of Val and a few of the cast in trailer relaxing and hanging out on the set of Top Gun, minus Tom Cruise.
One of them says, “this is nice isn’t it, no crew around, no director, no assistants…”

And in unison the all say

“NO TOM CRUISE”!!! And crack up laughing.

I gather he was not popular on set.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
For anyone who liked Kill list with Neil Maskell i just watched 'Bull' . Pretty similar and very gritty and hard hitting. Give it a solid 7 although god knows what happened at the end

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching The Outfit.
Mark Rylance plays a tailor (or a cutter as he insists), the mob uses a dropbox in the back of his store, for shady business. Usually keeping himself to himself, things go sideways one evening and everything that follows is about lies and deceit. It's fantastic.
Rylance is absolutely immense. His character at first is charming, like a heart warming grandad, softly spoken and endearing. But the more you learn about him the more you realise he's not what he portrays himself to be. I won't say too much as I wouldn't want to spoil anything for anyone wanting to watch it, but I will say it's the best film I've watched for a while. It's a bit of a slow burner at first, but only for the first 25mins or so.
Very good, 8.5/10.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Northman;

We didn’t fancy the traditional bank holiday Sunday booze up and instead went to see Robert Eggers’ move into epic territory. I enjoyed his two previous films, The Witch and The Lighthouse and I am interested in Norse mythology so had high hopes for this.

To say I was disappointed is a bit strong but I found it a little dull. It’s certainly compelling however I felt the story was told by the hour mark but carried on with drawn out sequences and ponderous filler.

The film is loosely based on the myth of Amleth, which Shakespeare’s Hamlet was also based on. And it’s a classic, engaging story for the first half. Luckily the visuals and aesthetic carry it through, just about, until the climax.

It found it a mixed bag, both exciting at times and bordering on boring at others. I would recommend a cinema viewing due to the scope of the film but I wasn’t as awed as I was hoping for.

As an aside, the score is brilliant. I thought it may have been done by Wardruna as it is very similar to that band whom I rate highly. But it is in fact by electronica composer, Vessel from Bristol. I really enjoyed the music.

I’d give it a 6/10 but a high 6.

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Operation Mincemeat

Proper WW2 drama with an impressive cast, and the tale is based on a true story.

We enjoyed it, but would have liked it more if it was reduced by 20 minutes by taking out the unnecessary romantic sub story

7/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Benedetta
Latest movie, and second in the french language from Paul Verhoeven (he of Robocop, Basic Instinct, Show Girls, Total Recall, Starship Troopers fame). It tells the supposedly true story of an 17th Century italian nun who may or may not be having visions of Jesus, and as a result of these visions starts to upset the balance of power at the convent and in the village/diocese, and whose affair with a younger nun is the tool used by the powerful (mostly men) threatened by her. AS a verhoeven film, there is a lot of nudity and some graphic violence, but it seemed more in line with later films like Black Book and Elle, with a focus on story rather than controversial explicitness. Though it has faced a backlash because it is a film about religion and they always face a backlash for one thing or another. The trailer had made it seem more salacious and fun than it was.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
A fictionalised version of Nic Cage is in career decline and debt, with a bad relationship with his daughter, is offered $1m to attend a wealthy fan's birthday party. After his first night there he is told by the cia agents that this fan is a criminal mastermind who has kidknapped a the daughter of a head of state, and they recruit nic cage to help rescue her. Meanwhile Nic Cage and the wealthy fan start to bond making it difficult to do what the CIA ask him to. With Nic Cage playing himself (and a de-aged conscience version of himself), it is very meta. Pedro (the mandalorian) Pascal plays the wealthy fan Javi. I really enjoyed it, lots of references to Cage's career highlights (and lowlights). Starts off largely character driven, before becoming a more action-centred final third (for the mass appeal).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sonic 2

It is a kids film but decent enough

62 out of 100

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Downton Abbey:A New Era out on Friday. Mrs Crodo and I bought tickets for Saturday morning, will report back with a review, previews look excellent.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Downton Abbey:A New Era out on Friday. Mrs Crodo and I bought tickets for Saturday morning, will report back with a review, previews look excellent.

I speak on behalf of the entirety of this wonderful community, when I earnestly congratulate you and your charming wife on your decision to witness what will be a legendary feast of film excellence. I await your review with barely controlled exuberance.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched a couple of films over the weekend, first up was Ambulance.
Me and the Mrs didn't get to the end of the film, it was horse shit. Typical, American flag waving, moronic tripe in the same vein as Fast and Furious.
We both have a real dislike for movies that constantly show a waving American flag in the background as triumphant music blasts out and the hero is filmed slowly emerging from an American muscle car, saluting said flag and spouting some shit that ends in "Sir, yes sir, Mr President Sir!" We counted 6 American flags within the first 10 minutes of the film. Anyway, the acting was mediocre, the story was dragged out and a bit pointless and the god bless America speeches got on our tits. 2/10 and that's generous.

We then watched Uncharted. We had heard bad things about this so we went into it expecting the worst, and both agreed it was actually quite enjoyable in a grown-up Goonies kind of way. Searching for treasure with the use of an old map which talks of a legend about missing gold, lots of passages and boobytraps later they discover the missing ship(s) in a hidden cave. Not very original but fun, over the top and unbelievable action, and it doesn't matter who you're rooting for, they're the bad guys. Certainly won't win any awards but doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is, easy watching. 6.5/10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
A fictionalised version of Nic Cage is in career decline and debt, with a bad relationship with his daughter, is offered $1m to attend a wealthy fan's birthday party. After his first night there he is told by the cia agents that this fan is a criminal mastermind who has kidknapped a the daughter of a head of state, and they recruit nic cage to help rescue her. Meanwhile Nic Cage and the wealthy fan start to bond making it difficult to do what the CIA ask him to. With Nic Cage playing himself (and a de-aged conscience version of himself), it is very meta. Pedro (the mandalorian) Pascal plays the wealthy fan Javi. I really enjoyed it, lots of references to Cage's career highlights (and lowlights). Starts off largely character driven, before becoming a more action-centred final third (for the mass appeal).

Saw this film yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Partly reminded me of JCVD, the Van Damme film where he plays himself, which was also good fun if I remember correctly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saw this film yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Partly reminded me of JCVD, the Van Damme film where he plays himself, which was also good fun if I remember correctly.

It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember JCVD being more dramatic than funny. I might be mixing it up with the series amazon tried to do following on from it/inspired by it.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember JCVD being more dramatic than funny. I might be mixing it up with the series amazon tried to do following on from it/inspired by it.

I saw it when it came out and must admit memories of it are sketchy! I didn't realise they'd done a series related to it. Interesting...as a conceit it worked as a one-off film, but not sure how it can be spun out more with someone like Van Damme. Now Larry David, with Curb, is a whole different matter! :lolol: (Not that it started with a film, but a similar concept)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw it when it came out and must admit memories of it are sketchy! I didn't realise they'd done a series related to it. Interesting...as a conceit it worked as a one-off film, but not sure how it can be spun out more with someone like Van Damme. Now Larry David, with Curb, is a whole different matter! :lolol: (Not that it started with a film, but a similar concept)

Just had a look and my memory is a little inaccurate. The Amazon series, while I'm sure took a small slither if inspiration from JCVD is more fictional (and more overtly comical) - it's conceit is that JCVD is also a spy who goes by the name jean-claude van johnson and his movie career has just been a cover for his missions. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/amzn1.dv.gti.c4af1fd3-b497-3e47-06c1-87f3ecd1f409. It was part of a range of series pilots amazon tested (I remember there being another series about junior senators sharing a house in washington, starring john goodman) and took to full series based on viewers responses.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I speak on behalf of the entirety of this wonderful community, when I earnestly congratulate you and your charming wife on your decision to witness what will be a legendary feast of film excellence. I await your review with barely controlled exuberance.

Richard Arnold was on GMB earlier and was absolutely gushing in praise of the movie. He was one of a very lucky few who was treated to an exclusive pre-screening on Wednesday and said it was an incredible cinematic experience.

[YT]wN0Spmq610Q[/YT]

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Watched a couple of films over the weekend, first up was Ambulance.
Me and the Mrs didn't get to the end of the film, it was horse shit. Typical, American flag waving, moronic tripe in the same vein as Fast and Furious.
We both have a real dislike for movies that constantly show a waving American flag in the background as triumphant music blasts out and the hero is filmed slowly emerging from an American muscle car, saluting said flag and spouting some shit that ends in "Sir, yes sir, Mr President Sir!" We counted 6 American flags within the first 10 minutes of the film..

Without sounding rude why would you watch a Michael Bay film then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here