Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Without sounding rude why would you watch a Michael Bay film then?

I know, my own fault entirely. His films are awful.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Rock is the only decent film of his I can think of and that has got to be going back a good few years now.

I would completely agree with this.

I enjoy mindless action now and then, but Bay's are all annoying and rubbish.
Somehow The Rock works, largely due to Connery and Cage and the rumours that the script was heavily rewritten by Aaron Sorkin and then Tarantino.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would completely agree with this.

I enjoy mindless action now and then, but Bay's are all annoying and rubbish.
Somehow The Rock works, largely due to Connery and Cage and the rumours that the script was heavily rewritten by Aaron Sorkin and then Tarantino.

Ah! I didn’t know about the rewrites. Interesting.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Operation Mincemeat.
Hmm.
While the operation to trick Hitler is obviously in and of itself interesting, it is rather simple. It’s success obviously had a huge impact on the war and was obviously very important but it’s simplicity makes for a rather anorexic plot.
So much so that once the deception and the importance of its success are explained the first two thirds of the film are spent on a clumsy, Misplaced Mills & Boon love story that never really comes to anything. Neither do the inferred spy/espionage sub-plots ever really come to anything worthwhile.
There’s a couple of laughable, failed attempts to create tension which are genuinely ludicrous.
Only in the last 20 mins does any real sense of peril creep in, to be quickly nuxed by a couple of false starts.
It picks up a bit towards the final minutes. Sort of.

There’s clearly an interesting, exciting and perilous story to be told about Operation Mincemeat.
This isn’t it
1/10

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Operation Mincemeat.
Hmm.
While the operation to trick Hitler is obviously in and of itself interesting, it is rather simple. It’s success obviously had a huge impact on the war and was obviously very important but it’s simplicity makes for a rather anorexic plot.
So much so that once the deception and the importance of its success are explained the first two thirds of the film are spent on a clumsy, Misplaced Mills & Boon love story that never really comes to anything. Neither do the inferred spy/espionage sub-plots ever really come to anything worthwhile.
There’s a couple of laughable, failed attempts to create tension which are genuinely ludicrous.
Only in the last 20 mins does any real sense of peril creep in, to be quickly nuxed by a couple of false starts.

There’s clearly an interesting, exciting and perilous story to be told about Operation Mincemeat.
This isn’t it
1/10

Not seen it yet.

How would you mark it up against its leader, The Man Who Never Was?

I ask as that scores 100% on RT.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_who_never_was

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Everything Everywhere all at once has had very good reviews. It looks very interesting

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Operation Mincemeat.
Hmm.

This isn’t it
1/10

https://riversidestudios.co.uk/see-and-do/operation-mincemeat-23955/ Check out the musical. It is so much better.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Operation Mincemeat.
Hmm.

This isn’t it
1/10

Saw this yesterday, and having read MacIntyre's superb book a few years back, was very disappointed with the treatment of the story. It wasn't a terrible film (not sure about your 1/10 - I've seen far worse than OM) but the story the film was telling felt like the love and relationship aspect was the key part, with the dead body plot a secondary aspect. Maybe a 4/10.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
I would say it's standard marvel stuff, which is a certain quality of film making, with characters and stories that are either your thing or they're not. If you've tired of big blockbuster comic book movies, this won't change your mind. It has some impressive visuals (the film is showing in 3D in some cinemas, and there may be a couple of scenes that benefit from the effect), but if you're not a fan of comic book movies/films, I'm not sure this is enough. Unless you're a Sam Raimi fan (though this isn't as scary as his horror stuff, and beyond that he is often comic booky with his Spider-man movies and Dark Man, so there's probably a bit of crossover between Raimi and comic book fans). If you are a fan of marvel, there are some nice touches.

Fortunately for me, I am a fan of marvel/comic book movies, so I enjoyed myself.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Me and the Mrs have just finished watching Everything Everywhere all at once, and I can honestly say I've never seen a film like it. It's stupidly ridiculous and yet beautifully powerful, it's Kung Fu Hustle meets The Matrix meets The Adjustment Bureau.
One minute you're giggling at the absurdity of a universe where everyone has hotdogs for fingers so they've become experts at using their feet, next thing you know you're being humbled by two rocks having a conversation about how insignificant humans are in the grand scheme of things and how fleeting our pointless existence is and we shouldn't take the people we love for granted.
I don't for one second think that this film is for everyone, it feels very much like a marmite situation, but both me and the Mrs really enjoyed it, and we have no idea why. The stupidity should ruin the touchy feely parts and vice versa, but it doesn't, it just works. 8/10.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
I would say it's standard marvel stuff, which is a certain quality of film making, with characters and stories that are either your thing or they're not. If you've tired of big blockbuster comic book movies, this won't change your mind. It has some impressive visuals (the film is showing in 3D in some cinemas, and there may be a couple of scenes that benefit from the effect), but if you're not a fan of comic book movies/films, I'm not sure this is enough. Unless you're a Sam Raimi fan (though this isn't as scary as his horror stuff, and beyond that he is often comic booky with his Spider-man movies and Dark Man, so there's probably a bit of crossover between Raimi and comic book fans). If you are a fan of marvel, there are some nice touches.

Fortunately for me, I am a fan of marvel/comic book movies, so I enjoyed myself.
Mrs Dolphins and I saw this on Monday and enjoyed it too. I liked the edge that Raimi brought to it, and there were a few bits where I was a little surprised at the 12A rating, as I've been to a few with some seriously young kids who've been surprised at the content. Yes, down to the parents to properly police this, but some obviously can't be bothered!

There's a couple of credit scenes, the first of which is worth hanging around for, and the second, not!

Off to see Everything Everywhere this arvo, on my own this time. Two multiverse films in three days? Madness!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Me and the Mrs have just finished watching Everything Everywhere all at once, and I can honestly say I've never seen a film like it. It's stupidly ridiculous and yet beautifully powerful, it's Kung Fu Hustle meets The Matrix meets The Adjustment Bureau.
One minute you're giggling at the absurdity of a universe where everyone has hotdogs for fingers so they've become experts at using their feet, next thing you know you're being humbled by two rocks having a conversation about how insignificant humans are in the grand scheme of things and how fleeting our pointless existence is and we shouldn't take the people we love for granted.
I don't for one second think that this film is for everyone, it feels very much like a marmite situation, but both me and the Mrs really enjoyed it, and we have no idea why. The stupidity should ruin the touchy feely parts and vice versa, but it doesn't, it just works. 8/10.

Just back from seeing this at the Marina. There were some people REALLY enjoying it, don't think I've heard such loud laughter in a cinema.

The film itself was a marmite situation for me - some of it I really enjoyed, other bits irritated or infuriated me. Very very odd.

One big surprise was seeing the West Pier remains in one "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" bit.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just back from seeing this at the Marina. There were some people REALLY enjoying it, don't think I've heard such loud laughter in a cinema.

The film itself was a marmite situation for me - some of it I really enjoyed, other bits irritated or infuriated me. Very very odd.

One big surprise was seeing the West Pier remains in one "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" bit.

Yeah, I noticed the pier but the Mrs didn't (maybe she blinked)
It certainly is a very odd film, and I agree, parts were brilliant while others were annoying/cringy.
I also got about 30mins into the film before the penny dropped that the husband was Data from the Goonies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here