Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I saw White Chicks as the other half and her daughter thought it was excellent. I sat through it and thought it was a steaming pile of turd. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Also seeing Wall E yesterday which is in places a modern work of genius she fell asleep after about 5 minutes so I have pretty much given up on her as having any sort of a clue when it comes to films.

your seat is worn!!!

johnnyjetlag

Jul 26, 2004
Saw Pineapple Express yesterday, very funny in parts and surprisingly violent at the end. I've heard it's even funnier if you're "baked". 8 outta 10.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I saw White Chicks as the other half and her daughter thought it was excellent. I sat through it and thought it was a steaming pile of turd. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Also seeing Wall E yesterday which is in places a modern work of genius she fell asleep after about 5 minutes so I have pretty much given up on her as having any sort of a clue when it comes to films.

The detectives really freaked me out.

It's only saving grace was the bird from Sweet Valley High. :love:

MV5BMTMzODQ4NDQyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDU5OTA3._V1._SX485_SY323_.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Napolean Dynamite

This is a work of genuis. Heder is perfect as Napolean Dynamite, unknown when he was cast in the role becuase he was a member of the family. The superb dialogue, the numerous amusing sketches, it is after all a series of very funny sketches weaved together over 90 minutes with a serviceable story. The expels of air, the dance at the end, the "sweet " jumps on the bike. The anti cool overcoming the school bullies and becoming Mr Cool and getting the Girl.

A sweet , very funny , little gem. You have to connect with the humour and I know lots of people do not get the humour or like the humour but for me its genius.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The detectives really freaked me out.

It's only saving grace was the bird from Sweet Valley High. :love:

MV5BMTMzODQ4NDQyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDU5OTA3._V1._SX485_SY323_.jpg

Paul, there was no saving grace. Apparently " Little Man " made by the same people is meant to be even worse if thats possible.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Anyone see the Film Awards last night? Some of those nominations could have been hand picked by US himself. Enchanted, Wall:E, Mamma Mia. what a load of old dogshit it was.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Watched Cloverfield for the first time. Not as good as I had hoped, I didn't particularly care about any of the people but still worth a watch. The best thing was the inclusion of the lobster/cat/spider monster things.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had a cool classics-week in film at the cinema and at home last week. Monday night had Citizen Kane, the first time i'd seen it on big-screen since VIth form college (Varndean) media studies teacher hired a bus and drove us to Hastings for a special screening in about 1991. Most enjoyable.
Then Thursday i went to the NFT again to see Badlands. This time on the smaller screen and with less leg-room, but i barely internally moaned throughout and thoroughly enjoyed the relentless, but mildly ridiculous carnage on display.
Saturday morning had me awake for a cycle through the emptier streets of London at that time and come home to watch Casablanca on TCM. A great start to the day and the final conclusion of worthily-heralded classics to view in one working week.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hello! This week I have watched..

Days Of Glory - about native African fighters in WW2 fighting for the freedom of France and all the injustice and that they endured in the fight. Apparently this film forced the French government to finally pay out the pensions of these fightesr which had been withheld since 1952, when they were first due. I really enjoyed it but felt it did get a tad bogged down in the middle.

Jackass 2 - I thought this would be shit but the stunts and that in it are genuinely funny and the end sequence is very well done. I did NOT enjoy the bit where Pontius drinks horse semen.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Nosferatu - 1922 silent German horror classic. Beautiful locations, the first filming of the Dracula novel 7.8
Batman Begins - lavish very superior comic strip epic with real brains as well as balls. 8.5

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
12 Angry Men- brilliant, intelligent court room drama

the Lady Vanishes-classic Britishness in the face of adversity Hitchockness

Once Upon A Time In The West- Nastiness happens for a long time, bloody good

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Two unforgettable films in the last 7 days - LoveFilm is spoiling me:

The Station Agent. God, what a brilliant film - a subtle, moving and funny study in dignity. American indie film making at its very finest. 9.3
Run Lola Run. Yes, everyone saw it when it came out but I'd not. A touch of Tarantino meets the Trainspotting soundtrack - innovative, breathless, jaw-dropping and you want to watch it again the second it finishes. Can't believe a) that the director hasn't become a big star since and b) just how much central Berlin has been tarted up even since then. 9.6 (no really)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Crash (not the one about sexual fantasies, the other one) - won Best Picture Oscar a few years ago and you can kid of see why. It's pretty well written and the way the stories about the different characters intertwine makes it a very watchable film. Tweaks the heart strings throughout and there's a few points in it that actually drew an audible reaction from me which is rare. Very enjoyable but would have to have been a weak year at the Oscars to win Best Picture, having said that it's one of the better films I've seen in the last few months.

7.8/10

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
After Virtue - was alright, some bits were excellent, especially the tango at the end - made Mr Darcy come to life all over again.

7/10

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Requiem for a dream. Very well shot and edited and some very good performances. reminded me in style slightly of Magnolia. I thought it was good but only when you had time to recollect after. Very clever movie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here