Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Favourite fast food restaurant

Which is your favourite fast food restaurant?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Since working back in Brighton city centre I have noticed the vast number of delivery riders on mopeds loitering around. Blocking pavements, riding like ****s, clogging up the counters at fast food outlets. I reckon the waiting time at places has increased by a third since these people started up a few years ago.

Some places have clearly hired extra staff to deal with delivery orders. Which works well. Others have clearly not and they leave you waiting for your order while they prepare dozens of orders ahead of yours.

Gone are the days of serving the customer in front of you.

But no place would be competitive if they didn’t do delivery.
This. Fast food takeaways are unbearable now and the only way you’ll get hot fresh food is to order via an app that will be delivered by a teenager on an L plate scooter who will cause a crash or two every week by driving like an enormous James.

I’ve boycotted the lot on the OP’s list with the exception of Uncle Sam’s and the very occasional double sausage and egg McMuffin when it’s still quiet in the morning

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Since working back in Brighton city centre I have noticed the vast number of delivery riders on mopeds loitering around. Blocking pavements, riding like ****s, clogging up the counters at fast food outlets. I reckon the waiting time at places has increased by a third since these people started up a few years ago.

Some places have clearly hired extra staff to deal with delivery orders. Which works well. Others have clearly not and they leave you waiting for your order while they prepare dozens of orders ahead of yours.

Gone are the days of serving the customer in front of you.

But no place would be competitive if they didn’t do delivery.
It's even worse at places where they have delivery service AND drive-through. You soon realise you're bottom of the priority list when you are one of the only customers at the in-person counter, but you wait 15 minutes for your food and see a long line of SUVs and pickup trucks roll through the drive-through lane.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's even worse at places where they have delivery service AND drive-through. You soon realise you're bottom of the priority list when you are one of the only customers at the in-person counter, but you wait 15 minutes for your food and see a long line of SUVs and pickup trucks roll through the drive-through lane.
Shoreham McDonalds.
Counter service.
Feels like I was born and gonna die in that place.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
If you’re on a keto/low carb eating regime, Nando’s has some good options, All that chicken plus some edible veggie sides. It’s quite hard to find fast food eateries whose main offerings aren’t made largely of bread or potatoes or other starchy stuff.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you’re on a keto/low carb eating regime, Nando’s has some good options, All that chicken plus some edible veggie sides. It’s quite hard to find fast food eateries whose main offerings aren’t made largely of bread or potatoes or other starchy stuff.
I was once forced to use a Nando's outlet prior to departing Gatwick on a very early morning flight, as there was absolutely nowhere else open at 4am.

Definately NOT the place to go if you fancy an English breakfast!

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Bangerz 'n' Burgerz is great over in Chichester. Think there's one in Brighton too.

Really good vegi burgers and hot dogs with good selection of toppings

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Sams is an independent take away burger shop. The first one, which I believe is still there is a small shop in Montpelier Road Brighton, this opened way before we had McDonalds and Burger King in Brighton.
In the 80s there was also one near St Peter’s Church in Brighton and also Burgess Hill. Edit- And West Street Brighton
I see they have a few more shops now
Good to see Uncle Sams expanding their number of branches again. Always seemed a bit of a mystery to me why they suddenly seemed to lose momentum in (the 90s?) and were reduced to maybe half a dozen outlets. Uncle Sams brand loyalty must be second to none, as this thread confirms. I've got friends down under, in Sydney, who went to Sussex Uni in the 90s and who still start visibly drooling at any mention of Uncle Sams :unclesam:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Good to see Uncle Sams expanding their number of branches again. Always seemed a bit of a mystery to me why they suddenly seemed to lose momentum in (the 90s?) and were reduced to maybe half a dozen outlets. Uncle Sams brand loyalty must be second to none, as this thread confirms. I've got friends down under, in Sydney, who went to Sussex Uni in the 90s and who still start visibly drooling at any mention of Uncle Sams :unclesam:
Are they really that good? There's one near me that I've never been to and always dismissed as looking a bit sad. Didn't realise they were part of a chain that's revered across Australia.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Back in the 80s Grubbs was also very popular, York Place had a Grubbs and Uncle Sams, I remember being with groups of friends and we would split up to buy burgers, Uncle Sams was definitely my choice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are they really that good? There's one near me that I've never been to and always dismissed as looking a bit sad. Didn't realise they were part of a chain that's revered across Australia.
Well, to be fair, only revered across Australia by folks that used to love them in those blessed parts of Sussex lucky enough to be served by a branch :unclesam:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Back in the 80s Grubbs was also very popular, York Place had a Grubbs and Uncle Sams, I remember being with groups of friends and we would split up to buy burgers, Uncle Sams was definitely my choice.
Always associate that York Place Grubbs with a dazzling array of very decent burgers that came with an absurdly large mountain of chips 🙂

Always a hotspot for local gig flyers and Musician Wanted ads also :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What happened to Grubbs? l know they had several outlets in Brighton not so long ago, l know l used to pass one on the Lewes Road en-route to the Amex.

I seem to remember Herr Tubby in here being a fan, l know he is a big burger man.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What happened to Grubbs? l know they had several outlets in Brighton not so long ago, l know l used to pass one on the Lewes Road en-route to the Amex.
I don’t know, I haven’t lived in Brighton for 25 years and don’t go there very often.
The shop you passed was probably York Place near St Peter’s Church, the only other shop I remember them having was (or still is) near Palmeira Square in Hove

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

I seem to remember Herr Tubby in here being a fan, l know he is a big burger man.
The owner used to be very hands on - he’s quite old now and just wants to wind down, selling off his shops and just keeping one or two open. I think the mothership is still there on West Street and he oversees it part time now. The guy used to do 100+ hour weeks for decades.

As for Uncle Sam’s, the one on Montpelier Road is still superb (the original) but the others can be hit and miss as they are franchises and the quality isn’t always as consistent.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don’t know, I haven’t lived in Brighton for 25 years and don’t go there very often.
The shop you passed was probably York Place near St Peter’s Church, the only other shop I remember them having was (or still is) near Palmeira Square in Hove
No there was defo one further along the Lewes Road, on the left hand side Amex bound, just before the big Sainsbury's if memory serves me correctly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here