Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Favourite fast food restaurant

Which is your favourite fast food restaurant?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No there was defo one further along the Lewes Road, on the left hand side Amex bound, just before the big Sainsbury's if memory serves me correctly.
Yep close to St Peter’s Church. They also had a restaurant in Kemp Town called Sampsons and a Veggie restaurant in Blatchington Road for a while which I think the younger brother ran

I went to school with the brothers who own it

Jul 7, 2003
What happened to Grubbs? l know they had several outlets in Brighton not so long ago, l know l used to pass one on the Lewes Road en-route to the Amex.

I seem to remember Herr Tubby in here being a fan, l know he is a big burger man.
Here is the Argus story about why he has down sized the Grubbs empire
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19311199.brighton-burger-chain-grubbs-reveals-reason-downsizing/

I’m old enough to remember when they also had a shop in West Worthing where Ace Burgers &Kebabs now operate.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Uncle Sam's was legendary in the 70's. I haven't lived in Brighton (Hove, actually) since '79 so I can't rate them currently. I used to enjoy Debonair's pizzas when living in Joburg. Currently I am occasionally bullied into buying from the local Pizza Hut but only the half price online offers. Outside of pizzas I don't use any fast food outlets. Another vote for In and Out burger though. Always a good option when I was in and around LA ( pretentious, moi?).

Jul 7, 2003
IMG_0089.png

Saw the advert for these while in Spain and Portugal recently, interesting choice of name.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Does anyone know if Sobs is still going at Seven Dials, or Big Bites on New England Road (not “hill” as everyone called it)?

My Mum once found a snail in her Sobs burger. Big Bites was great.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The owner used to be very hands on - he’s quite old now and just wants to wind down, selling off his shops and just keeping one or two open. I think the mothership is still there on West Street and he oversees it part time now. The guy used to do 100+ hour weeks for decades.

As for Uncle Sam’s, the one on Montpelier Road is still superb (the original) but the others can be hit and miss as they are franchises and the quality isn’t always as consistent.
Was and is a Burgess Hill institution.

Still going strong despite McDonalds and KFC arriving in town

Jul 7, 2003
Was and is a Burgess Hill institution.

Still going strong despite McDonalds and KFC arriving in town
Burgess Hill is one of the better franchises. New guy took it over last year and has kept it to a high standard, unlike the Broadwater and Durrington ones which are pretty poor.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Does anyone know if Sobs is still going at Seven Dials, or Big Bites on New England Road (not “hill” as everyone called it)?

My Mum once found a snail in her Sobs burger. Big Bites was great.
I lived a minute away from Sobs in the late 80s / early 90s, I was always in there, especially for the kebabs.
Thankfully didn’t find any snails :ohmy:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Because it’s local we use Fuel Coffee House near Small Dole on the Henfield Road. Small menu but their burgers are from Hutchings and are just fabulous. They deliver locally too.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Here is the Argus story about why he has down sized the Grubbs empire
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19311199.brighton-burger-chain-grubbs-reveals-reason-downsizing/

I’m old enough to remember when they also had a shop in West Worthing where Ace Burgers &Kebabs now operate.
I only remember the Grubbs near the Wick Inn in Hove, but I have some fond memories of waiting, half pissed and salivating, for my burger to appear out of the ceiling on that weird conveyer belt thingy.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Uncle Sam's was legendary in the 70's. I haven't lived in Brighton (Hove, actually) since '79 so I can't rate them currently. I used to enjoy Debonair's pizzas when living in Joburg. Currently I am occasionally bullied into buying from the local Pizza Hut but only the half price online offers. Outside of pizzas I don't use any fast food outlets. Another vote for In and Out burger though. Always a good option when I was in and around LA ( pretentious, moi?).
LA as in Little Ampton? I don't think that's pretentious at all.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Probably because fish and chips was wrapped in newspaper. I'm sure the addition of newsprint added to the flavour.
Chippy’s just don’t smell like chippy’s anymore. Probably the fat they use these days. The batter on the fish used to be really crispy now it’s a soggy mess by the time you get home.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Tell me that’s in America without telling me that’s in America :smile:
I imagine the typical customer has a side order of onion rings and fries to go with their beef sandwich.

Arby's is an American fast food sandwich restaurant chain with more than 3,300 restaurants system wide and third in terms of revenue. In October 2017, Food & Wine called Arby's "America's second largest sandwich chain". Arby's is the flagship property of Inspire Brands, the renamed Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. Wikipedia
Slogan: Arby's, We Have The Meats!
Founded: July 23, 1964; 58 years ago in Boardman, Ohio, United States
Founders: Forrest Raffel; Leroy Raffel
Headquarters: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Number of employees: 80,000 (2019)
Number of locations: 3,472 (as of 2019)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here