Favourite beer?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
anything from germany

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Doom Bar is my favourite beer.

Am partial to a bit of T.E.A. (can't remember who does it). .

Hogsback Brewery at Runfold near Guildford. Traditional English Ale this takes a little looking after so can vary from pub to pub also the pub needs to sell a reasonable amount to maintain a good turnover or the quality suffers badly, which is true of most beers but is noticable with TEA.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You could try either Kings or Hepworths version of Old Ale - both brewed in Horsham - the Kings version shades it for me but I do have to keep doing comparison tasting to be fair to Hepworths.:laugh:

Sadly I won't be trying either as I no longer drink beer...all my recommendations are from now fading memory...but I share shock at the number of votes for London Pride as whenever I drank it it had a revolting metallic taste...a really nasty brew. Another couple of beers that didn't quite make it into my top three are Gales HSB and Hopback Summer Lightning.

There are some good recommendations for Belgian beers, how one small country can brew so many fantastic beers is little short of a miracle...if you ever get a chance to try Ter Dolen that truly is a joy to behold.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
There are some good recommendations for Belgian beers, how one small country can brew so many fantastic beers is little short of a miracle...if you ever get a chance to try Ter Dolen that truly is a joy to behold.

Not so much a miracle, more a beer-loving Yorkshireman named Michael Jackson (RIP), who in the 1970s recognised the potential in a then-comatose industry and knocked some sense of national pride into Belgian independent brewing before it collapsed completely and got subsumed by the giant corporates (although the latter battle is ongoing).

Ter Dolen Tripel is a fine brew. The blond is pretty good too; the brown less so. It's a lovely brewery/brewpub to boot. I would have stopped there to fill the boot up just the other day on my way back from the Hasselt beer festival, except that the boot was already full of even lovelier Kerkom brewery products: the Bink Blond, Kerkomse Tripel, and the seasonal Winterkoningske all come highly recommended. I'm saving the Winterkoningske Grand Cru (13%) for Christmas... :drool:

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Theakstons old peculier or Adnams Broadside

Edit; Lionbrew cant remember the brewer

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Bestest Lager in Europe = San Miguel Draft

Bestest Bitter bar none = Harveys' Best Bitter

Best Black beer to come from Dublin - Guinness (extra cold).

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Regardless of the negative press on here my heart always skips a bit when Harveys is on sale.

But my favourite was a good old-fashioned HSB, straight from the barrel.

And then again I do like a nice Kronebourg when the weather is right, or a Leffe brune on a winter's evening.

I do also have a soft spot for 6X from a pub in Hereford in 1997. It's not all about the taste.

kiwigull

Nov 14, 2008
liked old speckled hen when i was over last.took aaaages to get used to the beers back home after that. dont get many ales over here and all the imported stuff is expensive..like the export gold or export33 though.perfect for new zealand summers

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Just impossible to choose, but it would be from:

Belgians:
De Ranke Guldenberg
De Ranke XX Bitter - see my avatar for the De Ranke range
Saison Dupont
Poperings Hommelbier
Westvleteren 8
Oude Kriek Boon