Fanzone dying on it's backside , needs a freshen up!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
That's no the point mate, the people that created it are 30/40 year olds who think they know what kids want and they have not worked out that actually the kids hate it as much as everyone else because actually kids are not stupid.

So all the kids waving at the camera, jumping up and down and waving their flags and during fanzone is just a figment of my imagination?

Feb 14, 2010
Rubbish. I enjoy fanzone and judging by the amount of kids jumping up and down and waving so do they. Don't want goal music and couldn't care less either way about Gully's Girls. If you honestly think fans are going to spontaneously start singing ten minutes before kick off then I think you're wrong. It's total silence until Fanzone comes on. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it should go.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Away fans always sing 10/15 minutes before kick off and homes fans always respond in kind. Always have, always will. Problem is these days there is a smashy and Nicey DJ who thinks everyone should be forced to listen to him instead of the fan created atmosphere and also being able to chat to the person they went to the game with. It was created by adults "for the kids" and actiually kids are niot unlike the Smashey and Nicey type fanzone, stupid. I hate it, many people hate it, so I hope something gets done about it. its shite, and as for "put your hands up for Brighton" then jesus, that really is cringewotrthy

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
So all the kids waving at the camera, jumping up and down and waving their flags and during fanzone is just a figment of my imagination?

Yeah can you imagine one 10 year kid saying to another kid " I aint jumping up and down and singing to that shit , I wish it was like in the 80s when it was just the crowd that sang before the kick off "

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We managed to stop even a hint of goal music and that argument is won. The next step is to rid the Albion of dancers, and fanzone's. A bit of music on low before the game but then turn it off 10 minutes before kick off and let the fans do the singing. Then, the entrance of the players with Sussex by the sea. The best thing Barbour has done is get rid of Gullys girls, now get rid of this American soul less rubbish completely.

There's a gap for people to sing and a lot of the time people can't be arsed. So, in the absence of any fan-generated atmosphere, Fanzone remains a good idea as the younger supporters love it.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There's a gap for people to sing and a lot of the time people can't be arsed. So, in the absence of any fan-generated atmosphere, Fanzone remains a good idea as the younger supporters love it.

Exactly my point. However much we would all like a good old sing song without prompting 15 minutes before kick off it just ain't going to happen at home. Its obvious many of the kids enjoy it so if some of us oldies have to cringe for a bit then so be it.

Feb 14, 2010
Yeah can you imagine one 10 year kid saying to another kid " I aint jumping up and down and singing to that shit , I wish it was like in the 80s when it was just the crowd that sang before the kick off "

Why are you so fixated with the 80's. What is wrong with the other decades in history? There is an old saying, "dont chuck the baby out with the bath water". Yankee doodle dandy Ameriocan football cheerleaders, fanzones and goal musoc have a place, and that place is America, not proper football. Kids will enjoy their day, I was one once, they dont want some 40 year old tryimg to create shite fanzones to make themselves think "they are down with the kids". I used to feel 10 ft tall being with adults at football when I was a kid and all that is being ruined by these sanctimonious "I know best" Smashe and Nicey DJ's. How I used to look in awe at the singing and fan created atmosphere, now, the poor kids could be at the cinema.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Half the time it doesn't even show the fans, just the music and the say old ads, I know it for the kids and all, but i'd rather they showed the EXTENDED highlights of previous games.

They're normally shown on the concourse, and not just the last game.

As for some of the other comments, has anyone got access to a reliable time machine so we can dump some of these posters in it and send it on a one way journey back to the 70s. If you want to sing for 15 minutes before the game then do so, what's to stop you.

Fanzone appeals to the younger fans who aren't going to spend time on the concourse spending money on beer. My eight year old enjoys it as, apparently, do many others. Still, we won yesterday so I suppose some have to find something else to moan at.

(I do however draw the line at goal music).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it is a good thing for the kids, I thought it would be crap but it seems to work quite well.

Feb 14, 2010
They're normally shown on the concourse, and not just the last game.

As for some of the other comments, has anyone got access to a reliable time machine so we can dump some of these posters in it and send it on a one way journey back to the 70s. If you want to sing for 15 minutes before the game then do so, what's to stop you.

Fanzone appeals to the younger fans who aren't going to spend time on the concourse spending money on beer. My eight year old enjoys it as, apparently, do many others. Still, we won yesterday so I suppose some have to find something else to moan at.

(I do however draw the line at goal music).

There is no point in singing as nobody can hear themselves think because Smash'y and Nice'y on the discs is subjecting everyone to an extremely loud tannoy with shite music and `American style bollox that nobody likes.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Half the time it doesn't even show the fans, just the music and the say old ads, I know it for the kids and all, but i'd rather they showed the EXTENDED highlights of previous games.

What sort of enthusiasm would be generated if they replayed the extended highlights of a bad game, the recent Watford game springs to mind.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why are you so fixated with the 80's. What is wrong with the other decades in history? There is an old saying, "dont chuck the baby out with the bath water". Yankee doodle dandy Ameriocan football cheerleaders, fanzones and goal musoc have a place, and that place is America, not proper football. Kids will enjoy their day, I was one once, they dont want some 40 year old tryimg to create shite fanzones to make themselves think "they are down with the kids". I used to feel 10 ft tall being with adults at football when I was a kid and all that is being ruined by these sanctimonious "I know best" Smashe and Nicey DJ's. How I used to look in awe at the singing and fan created atmosphere, now, the poor kids could be at the cinema.

10' tall. Was that standing or sitting? It may have passed your attention but kids of today probably expect more than you did in the 70s. Where as you were probably happy with your chopper bike and Binatone Tennis game, kids now want Ipods, PS3s and the like. If you went back to when your parents were kids no doubt their demands were even more basic. Perhaps a wooden hoop and a spinning top for hours of endless amusement.

Just because you were a kid once doesn't make you an expert on kids of today.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The 60s 70s 80s used to be crowded out at football grounds hours before a game would start because if you didn't get there early you wouldn't get in so crowds sang for entertainment , you couldn't hang around in a concourse watching tv and drinking beer in comfort you were like sardines an hour before kick off and like your name Working Class Pride it was full of working class people that could then afford to go to football and would be the majority of the singers behind a goal
These days paying £62 a ticket is not for the working classes they are being priced out of it and so has the atmos at most prem grounds

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Thunderstruck by AC/DC
Sounds awesome at the t20 cricket

Feb 14, 2010
10' tall. Was that standing or sitting? It may have passed your attention but kids of today probably expect more than you did in the 70s. Where as you were probably happy with your chopper bike and Binatone Tennis game, kids now want Ipods, PS3s and the like. If you went back to when your parents were kids no doubt their demands were even more basic. Perhaps a wooden hoop and a spinning top for hours of endless amusement.

Just because you were a kid once doesn't make you an expert on kids of today.

That is exactly my point. The idiots who think they know what kids want and who invented "put your hands up for Brighton" are being laughed at by adults and kids alike. Time to get rid. Kids are not stupid, so dont treat them as if they are.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is no point in singing as nobody can hear themselves think because Smash'y and Nice'y on the discs is subjecting everyone to an extremely loud tannoy with shite music and `American style bollox that nobody likes.

So now you have asked everyone and they all confirmed they don't like it. Marvellous.

Feb 14, 2010
The 60s 70s 80s used to be crowded out at football grounds hours before a game would start because if you didn't get there early you wouldn't get in so crowds sang for entertainment , you couldn't hang around in a concourse watching tv and drinking beer in comfort you were like sardines an hour before kick off and like your name Working Class Pride it was full of working class people that could then afford to go to football and would be the majority of the singers behind a goal
These days paying £62 a ticket is not for the working classes they are being priced out of it and so has the atmos at most prem grounds

I dont know who you watch but its not £62 a ticket at Brighton and your summary of working class is very wide of the mark, but keep telling yourself all that when you are "putting your hands up for Brighton" as someone else is laughing themselves silly looking at you and making a rude gesture in your direction.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Well quite clearly, judging by the comments on here and the actions of the people at the game, plenty of people DO like it so you very obviously don't speak for everyone. I can understand why you may not like it given your comments but you do NOT speak for everyone and you certainly don't speak for the kids. If a few "traditionalists" find it cringeworthy then too bad. You have 90 minutes to do your singing when it really matters.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Loud cringeworthy music stops you !! Some guys behind me in N1C tried singing, but were drowned out by it - which killed it off spreading. Ill admit id be a bit happier with it if that "put your hands up for Brighton" bit is removed - that certainly is the worst bit.

Just an idea actually, if there anyway a less cringeworthy (if possible) fanzone could be merged into the video before the players come out ? Ill admit a fair few people join in for Hey Jude, so to reduce the gap from that to the players coming out might work, would have the players in the tunnel hearing that too instead of silence before GOSBTS starts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports