[Albion] Fan Advisory Panel Meeting about Amex Atmosphere, Thursday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Make a big NS safe standing section in the middle between the police box and the screen (currently the dead zone) and ask those who want to stand and sing to re-locate there.

Far too bleedin' obvious so it will never happen...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Make a big NS safe standing section in the middle between the police box and the screen (currently the dead zone) and ask those who want to stand and sing to re-locate there.

I quite liked the rails at London Stadium, gives you two options arm rest and something to lean on when standing

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure it's obviousness that would stop that, but what do you do with all the people who occupy those seats already, many of whom will have been there since the very first Amex match?

From what I understand, a forcible ejection is the approach that Palace took to facilitate relocating the black-clad crew from their corner to a central behind-the-goal location and it created huge amounts of animosity, completely understandably.

A "you can retain your seat if you promise to sing lots" ultimatum clearly won't work. Who sets the bar as to how much singing is enough? What happens to those who say they'll sing lots but fall below the required level of involvement come match day?

In short, I really don't think it's as simple as you make out. Not without pissing a lot of people off anyway.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I quite like the idea of a singing moderator in the Norff.

Walking around with a sound tester, measuring both the volume and quantity of words sung.

"Sorry, it did not register to the required level, can you shift over to the side please?"

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So basically we’re saying…

Stand where you want,
Change the fans,
Put the kids and women in one stand,
Get everyone pissed,
Put the away fans in a part of the ground where they can’t see the game,
Oh, and play exciting football or have exciting scorelines.

Easy.

And, no drum.

Can we have fences and barbed wire too? I always think they add to an atmosphere.

In all seriousness, they key thing is not to over sanitize or organize the entire experience and to let the crowd organize itself a little more. And that principle, or access to that experience, should run through as much of the Amex as possible.

There’s a reason certain clubs have certain groups who ‘create an atmosphere.’ It’s because they let them get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't that part of the problem. The north stand can't organize itself.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not sure it's obviousness that would stop that, but what do you do with all the people who occupy those seats already, many of whom will have been there since the very first Amex match?

From what I understand, a forcible ejection is the approach that Palace took to facilitate relocating the black-clad crew from their corner to a central behind-the-goal location and it created huge amounts of animosity, completely understandably.

A "you can retain your seat if you promise to sing lots" ultimatum clearly won't work. Who sets the bar as to how much singing is enough? What happens to those who say they'll sing lots but fall below the required level of involvement come match day?

In short, I really don't think it's as simple as you make out. Not without pissing a lot of people off anyway.

How about making the whole stand sit/stand where you want? First come first served. Singers will soon find their way together.

Is there a law against that? It makes identification of fans difficult if there is trouble? If there isn't I really think that would help the atmosphere no end.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
How about making the whole stand sit/stand where you want? First come first served. Singers will soon find their way together.

Is there a law against that? It makes identification of fans difficult if there is trouble? If there isn't I really think that would help the atmosphere no end.

I can see issues where people start 'reserving', saying "You can't sit there, my 8 mates are coming along in an hour".

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Isn't that part of the problem. The north stand can't organize itself.
The Problem with the North Stand is that it's the cheapest therefore you get lots of Mums with small kids in there, which through no fault of their own kills the atmosphere as you hold back a bit on the swearing etc.
We moved seats in the North Stand a few years back as we were surrounded by Mums and young kids and got fed up with the dirty looks we were getting.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I can see issues where people start 'reserving', saying "You can't sit there, my 8 mates are coming along in an hour".

That's not likely to happen is it? Whenever I've been to an away game that is basically sit/stand where you want it's never been a problem. Admittedly I've only been to a handful of away games in the last 19 years so things could have changed/I was lucky at the ones I went to.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Problem with the North Stand is that it's the cheapest therefore you get lots of Mums with small kids in there, which through no fault of their own kills the atmosphere as you hold back a bit on the swearing etc.
We moved seats in the North Stand a few years back as we were surrounded by Mums and young kids and got fed up with the dirty looks we were getting.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

What are you, eight?

The police box lot activity sing against the left side I’m in between the two it’s a mess.

Completely agree. We've also got some idiot who sits behind us and when it sounds like the stand is about to sing in unison, he suddenly decides to start another chant and it's always the same ones.

Then the group in front of him just try and come up with some of the most cringe chants going. Other than that, if we play well, it really does mean for a better atmosphere. Agree with the comments re too old and middle class, that is something I've noticed too and agree, would have an affect.

Re the mums and kids in the North Stand, I've had problems with this too. I don't personally agree with children being in the North Stand. That's an adult only stand in my book and children should either be in the Family Stand or in the West/East.

We've had a couple of problems where we've shouted swearwords at a ref or whatever and then had dirty looks or being told to be quiet, which for me, will never happen. I'm there to make noise, be passionate and make an atmosphere that prevents the opposition team from getting any points. Not stand in silence because poor little Jonny cannot dare to hear a swear word.

NO to drums too! But glad it's being discussed, not that it's a major problem ,bu I do think it only requires a very small tweak to either away fans be moved or the two singing groups put together. NSK are in their own world though, so God knows if they would oblige.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

How about turning the previously described area into a safe standing zone but then force nobody to move? Those that want to stand and sing would, some of the others would join in given time, and those who really did not like it would move eventually. Might take 2 or 3 seasons but it would have the desired efffect in the end.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Logistically, it would make it impossible to identify anyone causing trouble etc. Additionally, you’d have all sorts of health and safety concerns with different rows/areas becoming overcrowded, I reckon. IF they were to make the whole North Stand safe standing, it might work.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Main problem for me is the most difficult one to solve. The North Stand is too small and the roof too high to transmit much sound into the stadium. I'm on the halfway line and rarely hear them even though you can see they are singing.
I was disappointed that the shelf seating was not built despite the planning being approved because it might have improved the acoustics. Short term rail seats would help as would deregulated seating but I'm not convinced there is much appetite for either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports