Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton Points Deduction.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Yeh, the popcorn gif things you see are horrifically over used.

But in this situation, completely appropriate.

I think both clubs will have the book thrown at them. Especially City. It will take time. But I think deep down, fans of those clubs are slowly awaking from the denial they've been operating in. Mostly they are now going through the aggression stage.

What is worse, is that the relegations they will suffer, will mean they have no choice but to sell all of their stars, for a fraction of their worth because they have to now be FFP compliant and their income will have dropped by 99+%. They will also be facing colossal law suits from rival clubs.

And where will these stars go to? Liverpool. Man Utd. Arsenal. Newcastle

This reality is slowly dawning on their fans.

Oh it's going to be fun to watch
When Rangers were liquidated, a lot of people in Scotland thought they should be stripped of the trophies they won in the years they were affectively cheating, and maybe awarding them to the team who finished 2nd (Celtic) and in Cup Finals as well. None of that happened though, as the excuse was that they were won on the pitch.

Even today there is still the debate with Rangers fans saying they are still the same club, where predictably Celtic and other fans saying it's a new club with no history etc.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Now some no mark MP is involved

Just shut the hell up. Team spent too much. Admitted it. Lucky they're in the PL as the broke the rules last season.

If Everton reduce their penalty then the others get away with it.

I quite like 1 point per 2million overspend as a penalty as a minimum. Should be a rule actually. Then see which pricks break it.

I personally think it should be 1 point per million otherwise FFP is dead. You break it, you pay for it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When Rangers were liquidated, a lot of people in Scotland thought they should be stripped of the trophies they won in the years they were affectively cheating, and maybe awarding them to the team who finished 2nd (Celtic) and in Cup Finals as well. None of that happened though, as the excuse was that they were won on the pitch.

Even today there is still the debate with Rangers fans saying they are still the same club, where predictably Celtic and other fans saying it's a new club with no history etc.

But that would mean ManC and Chelsea being stripped of all their 2003 onwards silverware. Never going to happen, the marketing hype of ‘the product’ and Sky means a token punishment will be handed out.

To my knowledge only cycling (sometimes) strips former winners of their titles.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I'm very much in the Everton should shut up and suck it up camp.

They broke the rules, they've been punished.

The punishment will have very little effect on their season. Without it they would probably have finished somewhere around 12th-14th. With it they'll finish 15th-17th. They weren't qualifying for Europe without it and they won't go down with it.

To reiterate: Stop whining Everton. You broke the rules, you're being punished for it, deal with it.
Absolutely. If Chelsea and City had any sense they'd agree to a 40 point deduction to resolve this because they'd still probably stay up without breaking a sweat this season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The three teams that finished 18th in the past 3 years should be suing them for lost TV funds, plus anyone that finished below them that didn't go down for loss of prize money.

I don't think it's fair they then get a points deduction for having to pay out.
The trouble with this is, that once the litigation route is open to "impacted" clubs, the whole thing becomes unworkable.

The petro-state clubs, will employ even more lawyers, to bind the process even tighter and the governing bodies will shy away from enforcing their own rules.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it’s the ~£300m lawsuits that could be bought against them which is making them appeal. That’s administration plus can you really see a new investor like 777 going into that deal knowing that is on the horizon? No me neither.
They’re in serious bother, and it’s their fault, and it’s f’ing brilliant.
That might be one of the reasons why the club are worried but I'm not sure how big a factor it is in the thinking of most of the Everton supporters/Liverpudlians speaking out about it. A lot of them seem to think that they're being unfairly punished and they don't deserve to be.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That might be one of the reasons why the club are worried but I'm not sure how big a factor it is in the thinking of most of the Everton supporters/Liverpudlians speaking out about it. A lot of them seem to think that they're being unfairly punished and they don't deserve to be.
Hmmmm.

They do, but I can see why they point fingers along the East Lancs Road & down dat derr London and ask, why have they not been punished yet.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hmmmm.

They do, but I can see why they point fingers along the East Lancs Road & down dat derr London and ask, why have they not been punished yet.
Key word is yet isn't it? If Chelsea and man city are found guilty and not punished or not punished as severely then they'd have a point(insert your own joke here).

As I understand it the Everton case is a pretty straight forward one of overspending. City and Chlesea have much bigger and more complex cases to answer and so I'd presume need more time to resolve.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Basically, Everton f*cked themselves when they went disco-mental on signings after Fat Frank arrived. Nathan Patterson + Mykolenko for a combined £30m, Onana for £34m, McNeil for £20m, Maupay for £15m (chuckle), Garner for £9m and Gueye for £8m. PLUS whatever they paid for Deli Ali who signed on a 2 year deal that was supposed to rise to £40m. PLUS whatever they were paying towards about 15 sacked managers. PLUS the £100k+ a week they were still paying to Cenk Tosun (£27m).

All this was while they were already knowingly walking an FFP tightrope.

Fuckem. I hope they do go down, and I hope they get sued.
Indeed. Not only did they know they were waking the FFP tightrope, they were repeatedly warned by the Premier League. All that stuff about “working with the Premier League”!! Well, a big part of that was the PL trying to get EFC to stick to the rules. Plus, the Commission agreed with the PL that Everton had been “less than frank” (presumably no pun intended) in its FFP returns, and failed to act in the utmost good faith (which is an obligation under the PL’s rules).

If everyone acted like Everton it would be bedlam.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But that would mean ManC and Chelsea being stripped of all their 2003 onwards silverware. Never going to happen, the marketing hype of ‘the product’ and Sky means a token punishment will be handed out.

To my knowledge only cycling (sometimes) strips former winners of their titles.
Been absolutely loads of Olympians stripped of medals

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. Not only did they know they were waking the FFP tightrope, they were repeatedly warned by the Premier League. All that stuff about “working with the Premier League”!! Well, a big part of that was the PL trying to get EFC to stick to the rules. Plus, the Commission agreed with the PL that Everton had been “less than frank” (presumably no pun intended) in its FFP returns, and failed to act in the utmost good faith (which is an obligation under the PL’s rules).

If everyone acted like Everton it would be bedlam.

The working with the PL was after the cheating occurred, as the PL starting questioning the true reason for the vast losses.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Hmmmm.

As stated above the crucial word is ‘yet’. City and Chelsea also has FA to do with Everton. If you’re fined for speeding you don’t expect your neighbour to go through the same process and outcome for drink driving, yet they are both motoring offences. Why the bulk of Everton fans find this so difficult to comprehend speaks volumes about the average fan IQ.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
As stated above the crucial word is ‘yet’. City and Chelsea also has FA to do with Everton. If you’re fined for speeding you don’t expect your neighbour to go through the same process and outcome for drink driving, yet they are both motoring offences. Why the bulk of Everton fans find this so difficult to comprehend speaks volumes about the average fan IQ.
Completely agree.

It's been said before - gathering evidence and penalising one clear cut offense where the offender pleaded "guilty" is much easier than gathering evidence from a board who are un-cooperative and have pleaded innocent to well over 150 charges

Everton are lucky they didn't get the points deduction immediately, last season. They should shut up and take it whilst they have a very very very good chance of staying up with points to spare.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was just catching up on the Palace thread, and briefly had the humorous thought of palace not winning again this season and dropping down to the relegation zone, and that led to a thought...

Given the narrative around at the moment 'a team that was already bottom half, now has a 10-point deduction leaving them joint bottom of the table is obviously going to stay up because the three promoted teams are so weak', how embarrassing is it going to be for any club if they get relegated in place of Sheffield, Luton or Burnley?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was just catching up on the Palace thread, and briefly had the humorous thought of palace not winning again this season and dropping down to the relegation zone, and that led to a thought...

Given the narrative around at the moment 'a team that was already bottom half, now has a 10-point deduction leaving them joint bottom of the table is obviously going to stay up because the three promoted teams are so weak', how embarrassing is it going to be for any club if they get relegated in place of Sheffield, Luton or Burnley?
You are aware Burnley will probably beat us in a few weeks time at home right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here