Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton Points Deduction.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It might be worth a £25-30 million bid to see if they would bite.

Better still bid £40 million for Caicedo 😜
The time isn't now.

They are still living in a world where they think they might get a cash injection for qualifying for Europe and they might be able to hire enough lawyers to bully the football authorities into dropping the FFP case.

In 6 months to a year, the storm clouds will really be gathering. That's when they will be forced into a firesale. Wait this one out a little longer

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Villa supporting relative said Wolverhampton have been cheating the system for years and will finally get their cumuppance this weekend.
Did your Villa supporting relative also admit that they too would have fallen foul of FFP worse than most had that not got promoted when they did? They were on the brink then but saved by promotion!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I understood that Everton could face a further penalty for a further FFP breach after their last points deduction.
Cant understand how Forest can get away with their level of spending and hopefully Wolves too.
The interesting one from my perspective is Chelsea. Illegal payment from the previous owner must be punished somehow. When will this be imposed? Plus they can’t spend big anymore because of their splurge over the past 18 months, unless they sell.
However, they are storing up issues for themselves by amortising fees paid. So they make the FFP ceiling this year but in future seasons they will have already have liabilities due to this amortising and as someone else has stated on this thread, they are running out of Homegrown players to sell to offset these future liabilities.
We are in a great position due to our large sales, prudent buys and the balance sheet laden with future opportunities/ players to sell.
Newcastle are bleating about the fact that they will have to take their time to challenge the top 6. Well grow your revenue first and then do it.
Arsenal have also spent big and yet no trophies to show for it. Surely they’ll have to sell to buy.
Man United in a similar position and with the knowledge that the majority of the £250m available from the Ineos purchase of shareholding, will need to go towards preventing Old Trafford falling down.
Palace’s problem being that their ground is also in need of major refurbishment.
Happy days!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Did your Villa supporting relative also admit that they too would have fallen foul of FFP worse than most had that not got promoted when they did? They were on the brink then but saved by promotion!

He didn't think they were ever in serous financial peril but accepts they were making more losses than most Championship club but there should be an allowance for clubs of Villa's side should they drop into the Championship. It's not good for English football having some of the giants of the domestic game languishing outside of the top flight and naturally due to their sheer size they will be making massive losses playing against relative minnows.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
He didn't think they were ever in serous financial peril but accepts they were making more losses than most Championship club but there should be an allowance for clubs of Villa's side should they drop into the Championship. It's not good for English football having some of the giants of the domestic game languishing outside of the top flight and naturally due to their sheer size they will be making massive losses playing against relative minnows.
Yes, why some sort of parachute payment hasn’t been considered is beyond me 😳

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Fishing I know but 🤮

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm a little surprised at Wolves being in risk of breaching ffp. They don't seem to have spent that much the last few years and have sold a number of players too. But then I haven't been playing too close attention to them.*

Forest on the other hand I'm not surprised at. They've bought about 400 players in the last 18 months.

*Just googled wolves and their debt/spending and got this article:

Seems they have spent heavily and needed to make 20-30m profit this summer to pass ffp.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
City, I think, would do a Rangers - fan support stayed solid and happily romped up through the lower leagues, back to winning the SPL under Steven Gerrard, and into Europe. It wasn't good for Rangers' finance, to be sure, but City no doubt have the resources not to be bothered about that.

Chelsea? Hmmm ...................
Wishful thinking to think Chelsea wouldn't, I think. They're a bigger club than City. Chelsea got rich in 2003 and won the league the next season. City didn't get rich until 2008, and took until 2012 to win the league. I think that makes a difference in terms of new fan base etc. Presumably both sets of owners would do a runner the second they got relegated, and I think Chelsea would be in a better position to raise investment etc. They are a more attractive club for investors, in my opinion.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm a little surprised at Wolves being in risk of breaching ffp. They don't seem to have spent that much the last few years and have sold a number of players too. But then I haven't been playing too close attention to them.*

Forest on the other hand I'm not surprised at. They've bought about 400 players in the last 18 months.

*Just googled wolves and their debt/spending and got this article:

Seems they have spent heavily and needed to make 20-30m profit this summer to pass ffp.
they seemed to get some very good players for very little.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
FFP being enforced puts clubs who have been

a) taking it seriously
b) have made significant sales
c) have a record of bringing through young players

in an incredible position in the coming years.

The list of clubs who can just come in and take our talent at will is now seriously dwindling. Maybe there are about 3 left.

The Saudi project also appears to by dying on it's arse thankfully.

All of this indicates a slowdown in rampant player wages and transfer fee inflation, which will do the whole game good. It also leaves us brilliantly placed to leapfrog a few traditional giants

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It might be worth a £25-30 million bid to see if they would bite.

Better still bid £40 million for Caicedo 😜
Chelsea are stuck with Caicedo. Any sale in the next few years would trigger a huge FFP impact (one downside of the 8 year contract is that the initial transfer fee [£100m+] amortises very slowly). Even if they sold him in summer 2025 his value in CFC's books would still be around £75m, so they'd have to get that sort of sum not to crystallise a loss. If they want to get rid next year, they would most likely have to loan him out (ie, repeat what they've had to do with Lukaku).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wishful thinking to think Chelsea wouldn't, I think. They're a bigger club than City. Chelsea got rich in 2003 and won the league the next season. City didn't get rich until 2008, and took until 2012 to win the league. I think that makes a difference in terms of new fan base etc. Presumably both sets of owners would do a runner the second they got relegated, and I think Chelsea would be in a better position to raise investment etc. They are a more attractive club for investors, in my opinion.
City have rich owners who know what they're doing. Plus, City have had, and survived, much harder times than Chelsea, with fans who are less entitled than the Chelsea lot. The grizzling if Chelsea had to work their way back form League1 or League2 would be immense - they'd be more likely to lose fans, and lose people who are willing to throw money around like it's going out of fashion.

OK, that's my view. Diametrically opposed to yours. Fair enough - so there's really no point in continuing a conversation on these lines, is there? It's going absolutely nowhere! :)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Chelsea are stuck with Caicedo. Any sale in the next few years would trigger a huge FFP impact (one downside of the 8 year contract is that the initial transfer fee [£100m+] amortises very slowly). Even if they sold him in summer 2025 his value in CFC's books would still be around £75m, so they'd have to get that sort of sum not to crystallise a loss. If they want to get rid next year, they would most likely have to loan him out (ie, repeat what they've had to do with Lukaku).
Plus, to sell they would also have to find someone to at least match his wages or he can and probably will just stay there counting his money

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Totally disagree. FFP should not and is not based on some vague notion of club size. If you fcuk up financially then you should be punished

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I wasn't being serious about Caicedo. He made his bed, so can lie in it.
Colwill I would take back.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was always the big issue for Chelsea. All well and good buying numerous expensive players on long term contracts but effectively they have spent their money in advance from future transfer windows. The next few windows could interesting if FFP really does have any teeth.

When some were praising 'astute Boehly' for the 7 year contracts ruse, I think @El Presidente pointed out that in the medium/long term it would actually come back to severely restrict them in FFP. The only way they can escape the noose is to repeatedly sell homegrown players for huge fees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here