Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton Points Deduction.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Everton face a further NINE-POINT deduction – and almost certain relegation https://mol.im/a/12765089 via https://dailym.ai/android

Bye bye Everton
Very click bait headline. They'd lose another nine points if the lawsuits against them were successful and that forced them into administration.

In reality, those lawsuits are likely to take many months to resolve and then be appealed. I'd be surprised if they were wrapped up this season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A points penalty is - when you think about it - a bizarre outcome. There may be punishment, there may not purely depending upon the strength of other sides in the Prem.

It feels like Everton are being caned having already put an encyclopaedia down the back of their shorts.

I think a more logical penalty would be a points penalty that mathematically guarantees relegation now, as was meted out to Saracens who then had to play out the remainder of the season knowing they were definitely going down at the end of the season

This would work out something like an 87 point penalty so even if they won their last 26 they'd only end up with a maximum 5 points. Season ticket holders, the club, sponsors and players would have certainty for the next 18 months too, so they could cut their cloth accordingly.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A points penalty is - when you think about it - a bizarre outcome. There may be punishment, there may not purely depending upon the strength of other sides in the Prem.

It feels like Everton are being caned having already put an encyclopaedia down the back of their shorts.

I think a more logical penalty would be a points penalty that mathematically guarantees relegation now, as was meted out to Saracens who then had to play out the remainder of the season knowing they were definitely going down at the end of the season

This would work out something like an 87 point penalty so even if they won their last 26 they'd only end up with a maximum 5 points. Season ticket holders, the club, sponsors and players would have certainty for the next 18 months too, so they could cut their cloth accordingly.
Or - more simply, just relegation!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The outrage from most Everton fans and some parts of the media is starting to get on my nerves. Your club broke very clear rules and got caught. 10 points isn’t enough IMO.
Agreed. They are insufferable on Twitter, whinging that it's the fans who will "suffer". Er, what about the fans of teams who got relegated yet played by the rules?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They should have relegated Everton and suspended money transfers in for the following season.
They have unfortunately created a precedent with a very low bar. Deduct 10 points from City and they’d just buy someone else to make up the points difference.

el punal

Deduct 10 points from City and they’d just buy someone else to make up the points difference.
For 115 charges? That’s an awful lot of serious undoing. I’m intrigued as to how this is going to pan out and when. I also wonder whether both Man City and Chelsea are going through a squeaky bum time knowing their time in the dock is approaching. Crikey, this is almost as good as the Wagatha case.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
For 115 charges? That’s an awful lot of serious undoing. I’m intrigued as to how this is going to pan out and when. I also wonder whether both Man City and Chelsea are going through a squeaky bum time knowing their time in the dock is approaching. Crikey, this is almost as good as the Wagatha case.
Surely on another level

What delicious justice for the arrogance of these petro state clubs who see the rules for the little people.

City will be as aggressive as is possible. It won't help them. I'm confident. I think they'll get the book thrown at them and i'm quietly confident they'll get the Rangers treatment

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Agreed. They are insufferable on Twitter, whinging that it's the fans who will "suffer". Er, what about the fans of teams who got relegated yet played by the rules?
Before covid I worked in an office with an Everton fan and a Sheffield Wednesday fan (other people were there as well obviously, but they're not relevant to the point I'm making). They seemed to spend half their time moaning about how unfair FFP regulations are and how unreasonable it was that they couldn't spend whatever they wanted.
That they'd spent plenty but spent it on shit getting shitter didn't seem to register with either of them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Surely on another level

What delicious justice for the arrogance of these petro state clubs who see the rules for the little people.

City will be as aggressive as is possible. It won't help them. I'm confident. I think they'll get the book thrown at them and i'm quietly confident they'll get the Rangers treatment

They tried to ignore the league and not cooperate whilst being aggressive. Thinking they would get away with it like they did with UEFA, I'm assuming they thought the charges would time out.

Seeing they refused to cooperate, that should be automatic relegation as a starting point.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Putting on my best Kevin Keegan, I would love this to be the case. But I can't see it.

City and Chelsea, the big rich ones, will probs get away with it because the big rich ones in society usually do :shrug:

That said though - City having their titles stripped away and being shit-cannoned down to the very, very bottom of the pyramid would be incredible.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Putting on my best Kevin Keegan, I would love this to be the case. But I can't see it.

City and Chelsea, the big rich ones, will probs get away with it because the big rich ones in society usually do :shrug:

That said though - City having their titles stripped away and being shit-cannoned down to the very, very bottom of the pyramid would be incredible.
Indeed - when do the rich and powerful EVER get their comeuppance?

I'm looking at you, Donald...

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Before covid I worked in an office with an Everton fan and a Sheffield Wednesday fan (other people were there as well obviously, but they're not relevant to the point I'm making). They seemed to spend half their time moaning about how unfair FFP regulations are and how unreasonable it was that they couldn't spend whatever they wanted.
That they'd spent plenty but spent it on shit getting shitter didn't seem to register with either of them.
It must be a big regret for their fans that Everton only wasted £300m on players like Dele Alli and were not allowed to waste even more.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Chelsea and City have been most responsible for the inflation in Fees and wages.
City in particular have moved away from transfer fees and into escalating wages, to price out the opposition.

If the Premier league fail to bring Chelsea and City to account, with meaningful sanctions (relegation), then they might as well just tear up FFP and allow a free for all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here