Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Germany 5pm . On the front foot from the start .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just preparing myself

Last night was sport at its best…Croatia game, followed by Murray being brilliant and worrying all at the same time and then watching the last knocking of the french game ( although I had it in the iPad whilst the tennis was on)

Our game can’t match the two yesterday could it?

Calling @dr no

Been some cracking knockout games so far, but I'll settle for a boring 1-0 win, I'm not greedy...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So sounds like Kane / Sterling / Saka.

Truth is, we have so many good options up front, whoever you pick someone will always say “you should have started him”. So there is no right answer.

That said. I don’t understand how Grealish can’t start. I haven’t watched training, I don’t know if he’s up on his defensive duties, but his flair on the ball seems to be a level above everyone else.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Sterling starts because he's scored twice in the tournament, and no other sod has done. But I wouldn't be starting him. I think he offers less than half what Grealish offers and even less than Saka offers to the team.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have a Watneys Party seven and a bottle of Blue Nun in . . . frankfurters and Smash for dinner . . . . bring it on.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So sounds like Kane / Sterling / Saka.

Truth is, we have so many good options up front, whoever you pick someone will always say “you should have started him”. So there is no right answer.

That said. I don’t understand how Grealish can’t start. I haven’t watched training, I don’t know if he’s up on his defensive duties, but his flair on the ball seems to be a level above everyone else.

My villa supporting mate says he is carrying an injury and should have had it sorted over the summer and England persuaded him to delay it saying he would get game time!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have a Watneys Party seven and a bottle of Blue Nun in . . . frankfurters and Smash for dinner . . . . bring it on.

Watneys red barrel, Frey bentos meat pie, corned beef hash and jam roly poly with birds custard and angel delight.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
My only hope is we play compact as Germany don’t like that (See Hungary gam) and do like opponents attacking them (see Portugal game). Be hard to break down and hit the on the counter with pace and creativity to come on later.

Then I woke up

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
For me, if the rumours are true, Foden is the big omission from the team. Yes, he hasn't hit the heights yet that he did during the season for City, but he is capable of winning a game single-handedly with a moment of magic, more so than any other player in the squad.

I guess the thinking is that Sterling and Saka will run in behind and stretch the slow German defence. I guess we'll have to wait and see, can't do much else than hope Southgate's negative approach reaps the rewards.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
For me, if the rumours are true, Foden is the big omission from the team. Yes, he hasn't hit the heights yet that he did during the season for City, but he is capable of winning a game single-handedly with a moment of magic, more so than any other player in the squad.

I guess the thinking is that Sterling and Saka will run in behind and stretch the slow German defence. I guess we'll have to wait and see, can't do much else than hope Southgate's negative approach reaps the rewards.

To be fair to Southgate, whoever you leave out, there’ll be rightfully some people saying “why isn’t he playing”.

The good news is no matter who starts we have some serious firepower on the bench. Just bringing Grealish on against tired legs is a huge plus.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And yet more good news, the England Band will be back at Wembley, I think it's at Mr Southgates request.

:eek: :nono:

yep its true, those dipsticks will be in there ruining the atmosphere with their tinpot ad infinitum Great Escape rendition.......

[tweet]1409766911697637376[/tweet]

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
England qualify for the tournament playing pragmatic 'don't lose' football.
England win the group playing pragmatic 'don't lose' football.
England play 3 games without conceding a goal playing pragmatic 'don't lose' football.

Now in a game that's the dictionary definition of playing pragmatic 'don't lose' football some fans want/expect England to play on the front foot and take the game to Germany.

Ohhhhh the entitlement is strong today. :facepalm:

England scored 37 goals in their eight qualifying games. That isn't the dictionary definition of pragmatic, don't lose football.

This game might be considered must not lose but it's knock out football so it's equally true to say it's a must win. It's knock out football. Some people want to win by knock out rather than on points. It's not entitlement to want that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
England scored 37 goals in their eight qualifying games. That isn't the dictionary definition of pragmatic, don't lose football.

This game might be considered must not lose but it's knock out football so it's equally true to say it's a must win. It's knock out football. Some people want to win by knock out rather than on points. It's not entitlement to want that.

The one time it is fine to be an entitled fan is when you are following your National team imo. We are entitled to expect us to compete on an equal footing with any European team :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Beating up third and fourth tier European nations and splitting the difference with the Czech Republic is hardly gun-hoo dreamy 'front foot' football.

The problem with your analogy is seemingly if England win on points many of those complaining now will still be complaining.

While history suggests England can't win with a glorious 90 minute knock out, when it's in the ring with a champion.

Not accepting that fact is incredibly entitled and an entitlement based on nothing but wishful thinking.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just over an hour to go. Excitement building chez pasty and finding it hard to concentrate on working now.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Beating up third and fourth tier European nations and splitting the difference with the Czech Republic is hardly gun-hoo dreamy 'front foot' football.

The problem with your analogy is seemingly if England win on points many of those complaining now will still be complaining.

While history suggests England can't win with a glorious 90 minute knock out, when it's in the ring with a champion.

Not accepting that fact is incredibly entitled and an entitlement based on nothing but wishful thinking.

37 goals in 8 games is not pragmatic must not lose football regardless of who it's against.

I'll be honest, I'm struggling with your definition of entitled.

I googled it and got this:

feeling that you have the right to do or have what you want without having to work for it or deserve it, just because of who you are.

From here:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/entitled

History suggest we will lose tonight. We've won one knockout game in the European championships. Germany have won many.

So look at it another way: how do you want to lose? Having a go or cowering in the corner?

Where is the entitlement in that?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Confirmed - Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire; Trippier, Rice, Phillips, Shaw; Saka, Kane Sterling.

[tweet]1409886564851892241[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here