Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Germany 5pm . On the front foot from the start .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
37 goals in 8 games is not pragmatic must not lose football regardless of who it's against.

I'll be honest, I'm struggling with your definition of entitled.

I googled it and got this:

feeling that you have the right to do or have what you want without having to work for it or deserve it, just because of who you are.

From here:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/entitled

History suggest we will lose tonight. We've won one knockout game in the European championships. Germany have won many.

So look at it another way: how do you want to lose? Having a go or cowering in the corner?

Where is the entitlement in that?
Firstly that's a result - my definition of entitlement is right. :lol:

My point being I think England can win tonight and the only thing stopping that is the sense of entitlement that comes from 'we need to attack Germany'.

I'm pretty sure it was Jonathan Wilson who offered up that the possibility of England doing well comes only because GS might cast off the entitlement of England thinking they're at the top table of world football and instead approaching the tournament as being on a par with Greece and Denmark (of old) .

That was a bit of a light bulb moment for me.

Since then pretty much all I've seen, across the socials, is all this noise about 'can't possibly win if we don't attack'.
Whereas Southgate might just be thinking 'we always lose when we attack - let's try and win by not losing'.

Despite my loathing of them The Harry's can put away a chance as can Sterling, so let's given them a chance or two and for the rest of the game play like the Greece 2004 they actually are, and not 2008 Spain, we never were.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Watching the BBC coverage replay the key moments from the game at Euro 96, I want to win now if only to avenge this photo:

BOAVidw.jpeg

Has a man ever looked more German?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Firstly that's a result - my definition of entitlement is right. :lol:

My point being I think England can win tonight and the only thing stopping that is the sense of entitlement that comes from 'we need to attack Germany'.

I'm pretty sure it was Jonathan Wilson who offered up that the possibility of England doing well comes only because GS might cast off the entitlement of England thinking they're at the top table of world football and instead approaching the tournament as being on a par with Greece and Denmark (of old) .

That was a bit of a light bulb moment for me.

Since then pretty much all I've seen, across the socials, is all this noise about 'can't possibly win if we don't attack'.
Whereas Southgate might just be thinking 'we always lose when we attack - let's try and win by not losing'.

Despite my loathing of them The Harry's can put away a chance as can Sterling, so let's given them a chance or two and for the rest of the game play like the Greece 2004 they actually are, and not 2008 Spain, we never were.

See that's where we're going to differ.

Greece 04 had no attacking players. They were a well drilled defensive unit. Their strength was their defense.

I genuinely don't think our defense is very good. I think our attacking threat is. So for me it seems illogical to sacrifice our strength to shore up a weakness that against the best attacks won't hold up.

The way I see it we're making a 9/10 attack a 6 or 7/10 to make a 5/10 defense a 6/10. The team becomes weaker.

I don't and never have expected us to win. so for me it becomes a question of how we get knocked out. In an entertaining manner going for the win or meekly trying to hold onto a draw.

If it turns out that actually we're an immense defensive machine that has lost none of it's attacking threat I'll be delighted. Surprised but delighted.

Any way, there's not long to go now, enjoy the game.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
0 - 0
Or 2 -1
Or
0 - 1

I'm already pissed

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
It does look like a defensive line up but teams which win major trophies tend to be fairly defensive. I shall reserve judgment until we see how it goes but I remain a bit miffed about some of the use (or lack of use) of some of our country's brightest talents (Jadon Sancho, Arsenal's Ben White, Dale Stephens).

May 5, 2020
Sussex
If we attack Germany then we will lose.
Portugal were a great example of how not to play against Germany.
I actually think Southgates defensive approach will give us a win against the Germans tonight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
See that's where we're going to differ.

Greece 04 had no attacking players. They were a well drilled defensive unit. Their strength was their defense.

I genuinely don't think our defense is very good. I think our attacking threat is. So for me it seems illogical to sacrifice our strength to shore up a weakness that against the best attacks won't hold up.

The way I see it we're making a 9/10 attack a 6 or 7/10 to make a 5/10 defense a 6/10. The team becomes weaker.

I don't and never have expected us to win. so for me it becomes a question of how we get knocked out. In an entertaining manner going for the win or meekly trying to hold onto a draw.

If it turns out that actually we're an immense defensive machine that has lost none of it's attacking threat I'll be delighted. Surprised but delighted.

Any way, there's not long to go now, enjoy the game.

We'll not differ as much as you think.

I'm sure we'll still come unstuck because of shoddy defending, just not tonight. :lol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Every game from now on, England win = Southgate vindicated, England lose = Southgate out obviously [emoji6]

Lovely hostile atmosphere, Wembley rocking c'mon England! [emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Well we won the coin toss. Good start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here