[Albion] England squad for Nations League

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Just reinforces my belief that Southgate is clueless. Given the talent available I could pick a better squad then that in about five minutes.

Why Pickford, Dier, Walker, Kean, ****ing Mings and Phillips are anywhere the squad is beyond me.

The player who should really be hacked off is Tarkowski who was been standout last season. Then Grealish and Dunk.

Why play Maguire? Keep him out of the lime light while the case is on going. Easy decision. Any day of the week. Southgate is clueless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

If you are picking a squad with no LBs and wanted a player whose natural position is there as worst case scenario cover Charlie Taylor is the obvious choice. Burn, whilst he's had a great season, is not a natural left-back and looking at the squad he doesn't get close as a converted CB playing at LB.

I think I was agreeing with you...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Because despite having a lot of talent, it is very unbalanced. We’ll win games due to the quality of the attack, but against a team with a decent central midfield we won’t be able to get the ball wide. The defence is a real issue with no ‘world class’ centre backs, which again will be exposed at the top level. Add in numpty Southgate and you can see the problem

Edit: plus our ‘world class’ full backs can’t defend which is a problem when the Fridge is the next line of defence

When you look at how we've done against the world's Top 10 over recent times the only side that has a better record is Belgium. We're even with France, Spain, Germany, Uruguay, beat Portugal last time out, unbeaten in our last 3 against both Brazil and Argentina, a win two draws and a defeat against Italy.

And our goalscoring threat is as potent as it has been possibly in my lifetime. Since losing the 3rd / 4th place play-off in WC 2018 we've scored 48 goals in 16 matches, losing only the the Dutch in extra-time and Michael Keane's nadir match vs Czechs having previously beaten them 5-0.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
When you look at how we've done against the world's Top 10 over recent times the only side that has a better record is Belgium. We're even with France, Spain, Germany, Uruguay, beat Portugal last time out, unbeaten in our last 3 against both Brazil and Argentina, a win two draws and a defeat against Italy.

And our goalscoring threat is as potent as it has been possibly in my lifetime. Since losing the 3rd / 4th place play-off in WC 2018 we've scored 48 goals in 16 matches, losing only the the Dutch in extra-time and Michael Keane's nadir match vs Czechs having previously beaten them 5-0.

It’s about being competitive when it matters. Other than that Croatia game (a bit of WC revenge) we haven’t been good enough. I agree about the attack but our defence is poor and we’re still lacking a CM who can run a game from deep.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Remind me of how many of those countries we have beaten in a meaningful tournament over the last 10 years. Genuine question as I don’t recall beating any of them in the Euros or World cup. I am not a massive England follower so could quite easily have forgotten.

If it was friendlies, they count for f all imo.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It’s about being competitive when it matters. Other than that Croatia game (a bit of WC revenge) we haven’t been good enough. I agree about the attack but our defence is poor and we’re still lacking a CM who can run a game from deep.

I think TAA is an upgrade on Walker / Trippier, Gomez an upgrade on Stones and Pope an upgrade on Pickford. If Chilwell and Maguire just do what they do in the Prem, Mount and Rice continue to improve then our firepower should do the rest.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
SOUTHGATE ON PROBLEMS AT LEFT BACK

"We will need to be adaptable for sure. The injury to Ben Chiwell, Luke Shaw also injured, Danny Rose – we felt at this moment in time his performances need to be a little bit better.

"We have got options in players that can play on the other side and have played in that position before. It is not ideal but we can look at something tactically if needed. But it is definitely a position that is up for grabs."

View attachment 127659

Interesting.

I get that Rose has done nothing to earn a call. Sometimes on the bench for Newcastle and played in a couple of their big defeats later on in the restart (though Liverpool and City also put a few past us / Burn) but if you're going to put a square peg like Dier in defence or try out Phillips, who probably won't even get a minute on the pitch, then either Taylor or Burn should have been worth a try.

I guess at 26 and 28 years old they are not thought of as long term possibilities but we're not exactly drowning in quality left backs. Just because we do have a glut of quality right backs doesn't mean playing one on either side works. And Dier is 26 and seems to have been selected out of position (side note - one of my best mates is a die hard Spurs fan. The current record for "whatsapp message with most swear words in during lockdown" is held by him after Mourinho selected Dier as a centre back).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The feelings mutual .

I’m gonna ask politely but can you stop spamming a thread you’re not meant to be posting on. Thank you.

Oh and **** off :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am trying very hard not to wear my blue and tinted glasses but the omission of Dunk from the squad combined with who has been picked ahead of him is ridiculous.

My wife is Irish and so my son has always supported both countries. That has now changed and he is fully behind Rep of Ireland. I think I may join him!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always preferred following ROI . . . .great grandparents were Irish . . . .we still have the Byrne name

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've always preferred following ROI . . . .great grandparents were Irish . . . .we still have the Byrne name

I spent years explaining to my son that England would let him down so often that he would turn into me and want to throw things at the screen in most meaningful games they played. It took him 20 years to join me in abusing the tv :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I’m gonna ask politely but can you stop spamming a thread you’re not meant to be posting on. Thank you.

Oh and **** off [emoji106]
Which was my original point. Well said sir. This **** seems to be infecting every thread I look at (apart from the Zaha one now because he was completely mugged off again, by everyone).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Remind me of how many of those countries we have beaten in a meaningful tournament over the last 10 years. Genuine question as I don’t recall beating any of them in the Euros or World cup. I am not a massive England follower so could quite easily have forgotten.

If it was friendlies, they count for f all imo.

You haven't forgotten, we haven't beaten a team of genuine quality in a tournament since ... well .. since .....

I'll have to look it up, but I think Shearer and Sheringham both bagged a brace that day. OK, Argentina 2002. Fair enough.

And yes, friendlies count for nothing. They are about balance sheets, not football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports