Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England squad for Nations League

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
In a selfish way I’m actually happy, ****ing Southgate doesn’t deserve him anyway and even if he put him in the squad he’ll probably just leave him to rot on the bench. I’m sad for Dunky because he deserves it, it’s sad that simply because he plays for us he won’t be selected by that absolute moron but at least it means we have him without the risk of international injury.

The fact Dier & Keane are being selected ahead of him, is total garbage as you’d struggle to find a single fan in the league who would prefer either of those players over Dunk, and that includes their own fans! Same goes for Tarkowski, he was outstanding last season.

I’m legit sad about this for him.

You’re right, he probably wouldn’t play much anyway. But yeah it bugs me in life, to not see people get what they deserve. I’d love to hear Potters private thoughts on this.

And yes Phillips getting in, but not White does indicate a bias. Have to say it really does.

Makes me feel a bit less invested in England to be honest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You haven't forgotten, we haven't beaten a team of genuine quality in a tournament since ... well .. since .....

I'll have to look it up, but I think Shearer and Sheringham both bagged a brace that day. OK, Argentina 2002. Fair enough.

And yes, friendlies count for nothing. They are about balance sheets, not football

With numpty Southgate in charge that won’t change, I doubt he could even get a decent team promoted from the Championship. Not fit for purpose as England manager. Lovely waistcoats though

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Is it possible this is purely down to age?

Dunk’s just too ‘old’ for Southgate? As ridiculous as that sounds.

Because that’s the only measurement I can find (short of some sort of personal bust up) to not include him over the shocking Mings and Keane.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
With numpty Southgate in charge that won’t change, I doubt he could even get a decent team promoted from the Championship. Not fit for purpose as England manager. Lovely waistcoats though

I do see what the FA like about him though. He's eloquent and on brand in a way that Allardyce wasn't. They've had all manner of problems with England managers and Gareth is less hard work and less expensive than the likely alternatives.

The flip side to this is that is the lack of top level nous and the sort of muddled thinking which we're seeing today which is ultimately at risk of spunking another generation of absurd talent

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is it possible this is purely down to age?

Dunk’s just too ‘old’ for Southgate? As ridiculous as that sounds.

Because that’s the only measurement I can find (short of some sort of personal bust up) to not include him over the shocking Mings and Keane.

Isn't 28 the average age for a central defender? You have to remember, the next tournament is 10 months away then the world cup is the November after that. We don't need to build 5 years into the future. There are two major tournaments in the next 25 months. Dunky will only be 30 at the time of the Qatar world cup

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I do see what the FA like about him though. He's eloquent and on brand in a way that Allardyce wasn't. They've had all manner of problems with England managers and Gareth is less hard work and less expensive than the likely alternatives.

The flip side to this is that is the lack of top level nous and the sort of muddled thinking which we're seeing today which is ultimately at risk of spunking another generation of absurd talent

Great, so being a yes man with image and eloquence coming before before ability, we are forever fecked.

I am so glad that I am Meh about England, I feel for the youngsters who really believe England might one day win something. Sadly, they mostly, eventually, learn that we are also rans at the top level and will remain so without a massive rebuild from top to bottom.

I think rugby used to suffer from the same problems, but now we are a genuine world force most of the time. Luckily I prefer International rugby to International football.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Isn't 28 the average age for a central defender? You have to remember, the next tournament is 10 months away then the world cup is the November after that. We don't need to build 5 years into the future. There are two major tournaments in the next 25 months. Dunky will only be 30 at the time of the Qatar world cup

I’m with you completely, I don’t AGREE with that philosophy, but that’s only metric I can see Southgate using against Dunk.

If so. Utterly ludicrous.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Remind me of how many of those countries we have beaten in a meaningful tournament over the last 10 years. Genuine question as I don’t recall beating any of them in the Euros or World cup. I am not a massive England follower so could quite easily have forgotten.

If it was friendlies, they count for f all imo.

Meaningful tournaments - well, we've finished 4th in the 2018 World Cup and 3rd in the 2019 Nations Cup. From where I'm standing that's better than Spain, Italy and Germany have managed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Meaningful tournaments - well, we've finished 4th in the 2018 World Cup and 3rd in the 2019 Nations Cup. From where I'm standing that's better than Spain, Italy and Germany have managed.

Genuinely, who cares about the so-called nations cup? I would imagine winning a world cup in 2014 would still rank higher and better for Germans than whoever won the nations cup last year. Who did win it anyway? It is probably similar to the league cup in international standards, great if you win it but meh if you don't.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Genuinely, who cares about the so-called nations cup? I would imagine winning a world cup in 2014 would still rank higher and better for Germans than whoever won the nations cup last year. Who did win it anyway? It is probably similar to the league cup in international standards, great if you win it but meh if you don't.

Whether you care about it or not, it is an internationally recognised trophy, it is here to stay and gives some importance to previously meaningless friendlies that now carry UEFA ranking points.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The League Cup is better. It is a tournament. The Nations Cup is just someone keeping score on international friendlies.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Not checked but I’m guessing all those teams played bigger teams earlier in the tournament? We played minnows and lost as soon as we faced a decent team.

Fact is I don’t remember the last time we turned over a decent team in a tournament, that is appalling for a country that has one of the best top leagues in the world.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1298300148653740034[/tweet]

[tweet]1298307009708728327[/tweet]

Are the press starting to turn on Southgate or is this the FA leaking to make sure no one blames them?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Whether you care about it or not, it is an internationally recognised trophy, it is here to stay and gives some importance to previously meaningless friendlies that now carry UEFA ranking points.

I accept that some people regard it well and have no problem with that. But...

The League Cup is better. It is a tournament. The Nations Cup is just someone keeping score on international friendlies.

This.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We say Dunk is hard done by but you have to say Tarkowski is equally if not more hard done by.

Highest ranked central defender in the league for Tackles won, 2nd most blocks, highest clearances, highest headed clearances

Can’t even get a sniff at the squad, pathetic.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We say Dunk is hard done by but you have to say Tarkowski is equally if not more hard done by.

Highest ranked central defender in the league for Tackles won, 2nd most blocks, highest clearances, highest headed clearances

Can’t even get a sniff at the squad, pathetic.

Tbf burnley sit back a lot. And he is a keane style hoofer. Should be in the squad ahead of keane though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I spent years explaining to my son that England would let him down so often that he would turn into me and want to throw things at the screen in most meaningful games they played. It took him 20 years to join me in abusing the tv :lolol:

My lads squeaky clean and nearly 15 . . . Still moaning to mum about me ranting and drinking beer. . . . He's till his mothers son. He has shown support but little passion for BHA thus far, which disappoints me, having said that, he's so young he only knows the good times. . . . . . Time will tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here