Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England and the flag of St George

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
No you don't. You see the Union Flag. It's only a Union Jack when it's flown from a ship.

yes everyone knows that nibble but you still call it the union jack. no one in the real world calls it the union flag even though everyone is well aware of that distinction.

you know that too.

yes everyone knows that nibble but you still call it the union jack. no one in the real world calls it the union flag even though everyone is well aware of that distinction.

you know that too.
I haven't changed my signature since this thread started, as much as I wanted to call it a Union Jack, I anticipated smart arses and couldn't do with them so there you go. My son Jack has referred to the Union Flag/Jack as HIS flag since he learned to talk, that's good enough for me

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

My recollection is similar to others, in that Euro '96 saw the need for St George Flag as we were the host footballing nation. Previously, in my memory anyway, there has been some debate about the fact that Union Jack had been used by England Fans, despite it being the flag for the UK. It was also associated with the terrible reputation that England fans had created abroard in the 80s. I thought that the Union Jack was more associated with right wing politics and nationalist groups in Northern Ireland, Rangers etc

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
The true Patron Saint of England should be St Edmund the Martyr and not the Turkish hooligan George. George was only brought into England by the Normans with their campaign of ethnic cleansing of Anglo Saxon England.

This is the true Flag of England
stedflag.jpg

http://whitedragonflagofengland.com/englands-patron-saint.php

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

you know that too.
It's just nibble attempting and failing to be a smart arse actually. According to wikipedia, Union Jack is actually perfectly acceptable:

"It has been claimed that 'Union Jack' was the name given to the flag flown on the "jack staff" of ships of the Royal Navy. However, the flag existed long before ships had jack-staffs, so it is more likely that the jack-staff is named after the flag."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here