Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England and the flag of St George

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Tony Hadley from Spandau Ballet reading his programme (would be texting these days) in front of the guy with the flag.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I also think that the 1997 Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly referendums cemented the move away from the Union Flag towards the Cross Of St. George.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Definitely Euro 96. At Italia 90 it's mostly Union flags.

Fact that we played Scotland and hosted it made the difference.

We, as in my friends and I, were flying St Georges flag at Italia 90, and it was not a far right political statement.

grumpyoldman

Jul 18, 2012
There is little doubt that the flag of St George is perceived by some as a racist comment but should we care, I think not. I get more wound up by Scotland and Wales having their own National Anthems and we have to make do with THE National Anthem. I vote for Jerusalem but there are so many much better that God save Our Queen!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I seem to remember that the national front used tbe Union flag more than the Cross of St George, , I'm sure there are pictures on the interweb of the knuckledraggers in Brick Lane, and it's wall to wall Union flags

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Look up NF marches on wiki, its all Union flags, and their motif is the letters NF in Union flag pattern and colours

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
NF, BNP have traditionally used Union flags, as they are looking for votes in areas other than England.

EDL, and MFE, tend to fly St Georges Flags...

and many people are, sadly, wary of being associated with our national flags, because they would hate to be identified as followers of any of those organisations.
Its sad, but frankly, its one of the only ways these sort of groups can con people into their organsisations.
Its a shame that far right groups dont create their own flags, rather than hijacking the national ones.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don't know anyone from abroad who associates the St George's flag with the far right/racism etc, and I know a lot of people from abroad. :shrug:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Was kind of referrring to people in the UK.....

Ive actually heard somebody say 'i hope nobody thinks im a racist' whilst attaching a St George sticker flag to their car...sadly, it happens...

Most people from abroad would think the Union flag covers all....I saw one flag seller in Brazil that had a massive flag with all the competitors flags on it... ours was the Union Flag

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I'm OK with the flag of St George, but would prefer to see more of a Three Lions flag. Either the England badge or the three lions on the the Royal Standard.

Links the team back to English monarchs.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Italy 1990 was the first time England flags started to appear in large numbers, although the Union flag was still quite prominent. Not many of either in 1994 (!) but by Euro 1996 it was mainly St George's Cross, probably because it was cheaper to print them.

Nothing racist about either flag.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No, there is nothing racist about either flag, but plenty that is racist from groups hi-jacking our national flag. Hence the reserve about it amongst some people.
Like I said, its a shame these groups havnt created their own flags.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't know anyone from abroad who associates the St George's flag with the far right/racism etc, and I know a lot of people from abroad. :shrug:

I've had countless arguments with my German girlfriend on this issue, she associates the flag with racists and sees the union flag as the 'proper' flag. Other polish, italian, Spanish friends I have say similar things but this couod be due to the kind of people who fly the flag

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My only reserve in identifying with a flag is its other associations. There is nothing wrong with loving your own country, it's just those who seem to hate all others who have spoiled the party.

It was The Sun newspaper in 1996 that accelerated the flying of the flag of St George. That was enough for me to develop a dislike for it. The strange thing is that I've never felt the same way about the Union flag though, I love to see its colours at full mast.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Some interesting responses here.

Personally I'm staunchly patriotic, English first then British but would think twice before displaying the cross of st George due to the negative conartations. I think I'd have fewer reservations about the union flag, despite as others have pointed out its connections with far right groups.

It's quite sad that like myself, many seem to have reservations about flying the nations flag but it probably has more to do with worrying about being perceived as common than racist or overly nationalist. Doesnt seem to be such an issue in other countries from what ive seen

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Go to Wales and the Dragon is flown proudly every where. The Stripes in the USA the same. Seems just an agenda by the right on/we must not offend anyone brigade to diss our flag. The same plums that do not realise that the 3 Lions should be crouching and the Welsh dragon should faced in a certain direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here