Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England and the flag of St George

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The union Flag is a fantastic design simple but effective bringing together of all the flags to form the jack - I love it now its lost most of its racist attachment

If the Scots get their way, it's going to change soon and will lose the blue bits!

NF, BNP have traditionally used Union flags, as they are looking for votes in areas other than England.

EDL, and MFE, tend to fly St Georges Flags...

and many people are, sadly, wary of being associated with our national flags, because they would hate to be identified as followers of any of those organisations.
Its sad, but frankly, its one of the only ways these sort of groups can con people into their organsisations.
Its a shame that far right groups dont create their own flags, rather than hijacking the national ones.

I would say people 'were' wary of etc rather than 'are'.

Not so. The NF marched behind the Union Flag, as this picture from 1975 shows:-

article-0-1A1B4B5500000578-41_634x725.jpg

I stand corrected. However, i would stand by the perception that used to exist that if you displayed signs of patriotism then some people felt that that linked them to far right groups, but that that changed after football fans adopted the Cross of St George. I am not saying everyone felt that but a good few.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
If the Scots get their way, it's going to change soon and will lose the blue bits!

I would say people 'were' wary of etc rather than 'are'.

I stand corrected. However, i would stand by the perception that used to exist that if you displayed signs of patriotism then some people felt that that linked them to far right groups, but that that changed after football fans adopted the Cross of St George. I am not saying everyone felt that but a good few.
Anyone who was "wary" of our national flag is a bedwetting milksop.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I don't know anyone from abroad who associates the St George's flag with the far right/racism etc, and I know a lot of people from abroad. :shrug:

My experience from last Saturday is most non-Brits don't associate St George's flag with anything at all. They don't know what it is.

We had a neighbourhood BBQ with my (mainly Dutch, but also Spanish, Bosnian, Taiwanese and Romanian) neighbours. At the Dutch guy next door's insistence, all the national flags came out to balance his orange bunting a bit. When I hung my St George's flag on the fence, everyone else's reaction was: "Er, so what flag is that then?"

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
My experience from last Saturday is most non-Brits don't associate St George's flag with anything at all. They don't know what it is.

We had a neighbourhood BBQ with my (mainly Dutch, but also Spanish, Bosnian, Taiwanese and Romanian) neighbours. At the Dutch guy next door's insistence, all the national flags came out to balance his orange bunting a bit. When I hung my St George's flag on the fence, everyone else's reaction was: "Er, so what flag is that then?"

Maybe that should be a question on the form for entering England, recognising our national flag. I am sure that if I emigrated I would know the flag of the country that I wanted to reside in. Best have a word with the neighbours. :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
because despite all the delusional and made up responses, most people in the world have no idea at all what the st georges cross is in relation to England. You see the union jack on t shirts etc all around the world its a design icon, and instantly associated by Britain and England, again a distinction much clearer to us than it is overseas where people generally see England and Britain as interchangeable, and couldnt give a monkeys about our post devolution identity struggles.

i struggle to believe everyones foreign friends have any association at all with either flag and small far right British movements. I really am baffled by some of the stuff I read on here sometimes.

No you don't. You see the Union Flag. It's only a Union Jack when it's flown from a ship.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Maybe that should be a question on the form for entering England, recognising our national flag. I am sure that if I emigrated I would know the flag of the country that I wanted to reside in. Best have a word with the neighbours. :)

None of them want to reside in England as far as I'm aware...

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Was taught in signals school that it was the Union flag, and the jack is the pole it flies from, but so many people call it the union jack now, its seen as the same thing. Before the time in the navy, I called it the Union Jack as well

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Surely a lot of the blame lies with sections of the right wing press who will run with nonsense stories about being accused of racism for flying a flag? And, not that I'm accusing NSC of being a section of the right wing press ;) I remember some joker coming on here once making up some bullshit about not being able to fly his England flag. It's a bit like the old Christmas decorations debate.

I'd say the tabloid press as a whole have to take some of the blame. It's like the Ba Ba ethnic/coloured/rainbow sheep stuff. That was clearly made up b0llocks but people/teachers/child carers have obviously read the stories and decided that they don't want to risk they're jobs so they start doing it to be on the safe side. It's all self fulfilling.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Was taught in signals school that it was the Union flag, and the jack is the pole it flies from, but so many people call it the union jack now, its seen as the same thing. Before the time in the navy, I called it the Union Jack as well
were you in the navy (where you bought yourself out early) before or after the RAF ( where you wimped out again and bought yourself out early) ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
oh, its the tragic bottle-job, with yet again, another post that has no relevence to the thread....well done..pussy.

Shouldnt you be busy, archiving, and indexing your 'links' to NSC conversations over the last year? haha...you tragic ****.
Your admission of this, is seriously, THE most tragic thing, ive ever read on NSC. Youre a winner.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Definitely Euro 96. At Italia 90 it's mostly Union flags.

Fact that we played Scotland and hosted it made the difference.

Looking back through my photos from Italia 90, I took my Union Flag, and if you look at the highlights of the games they were certainly significantly more prominent than the St.George Cross.

By Euro 96 it was pretty much 100% St George Cross at England games.

England V Germany Italia 90, looks like you are correct as it's mostly Union Flags.
But a few St George Cross flags also on show.

image.jpg

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Mmm. Smoking at football. Lovely.

When did we decide fags were bad for us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here