Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England and the flag of St George

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Italy 1990 was the first time England flags started to appear in large numbers, although the Union flag was still quite prominent. Not many of either in 1994 (!) but by Euro 1996 it was mainly St George's Cross, probably because it was cheaper to print them.

Nothing racist about either flag.

Never understood the whole 'racism' thing about the St George Cross - if nothing else, it symbolises far more than just 'England'. Many cities across Europe use the St George Cross in their crest, for instance.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Go to Wales and the Dragon is flown proudly every where. The Stripes in the USA the same. Seems just an agenda by the right on/we must not offend anyone brigade to diss our flag. The same plums that do not realise that the 3 Lions should be crouching and the Welsh dragon should faced in a certain direction.

Its 'right-on' being wary of association with far-right, racist ****nuggets? Cool.

They even have an 'agenda'? wow!! Tell me about this 'agenda'. Sounds facinating.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
1996 Scotland were in our group. This added significant momentum to the previously gradual trend towards using SGX as a specifically English symbol. Why? Well, we needed to differentiate ourselves from the sweaties. I failed - I married one.

During GSTQ in Miami a couple of weeks ago, local TV zoomed in on the one UJ on show. They (by which I mean pretty much everyone outside the British Isles except for a few cricket playing nations) don't even connect SGX with England, let alone racism. I would suggest.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They probably use the Union Flag so as not to upset people who would prefer to be treated (if injured) by the Red Crescent rather than the Red Cross.

crossofstgeorge.gif

Cross of Saint George
[SIZE=+1]The Cross of Saint George (England) c1277[/SIZE]The idea of using a flag was first brought back to England by the returning Crusaders who saw red pennants with white crosses being used in Genoa. The legend that Richard the Lionhearted was the first to use the red cross of St. George is probably untrue. In fact, in Richard's time the English Crusaders wore white crosses, the French red, and the Flemings green. However, the Cross of St. George became one of the national emblems of England as early as 1277. In 1497, the St. George's Cross flag was flown by John and Sebastian Cabot on their voyages from England to explore New Foundland and the North American continent, as well as by other English explorers including Sir Francis Drake, Sir Humphrey Gilbert, and Sir Walter Raleigh. This flag was used by English ships for over 400 years.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
There is little doubt that the flag of St George is perceived by some as a racist comment but should we care, I think not. I get more wound up by Scotland and Wales having their own National Anthems and we have to make do with THE National Anthem. I vote for Jerusalem but there are so many much better that God save Our Queen!!
Yep i like the Queen, a nice old lady, but not sure why god should show special treatment to her and not the rest of us.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
They probably use the Union Flag so as not to upset people who would prefer to be treated (if injured) by the Red Crescent rather than the Red Cross.

crossofstgeorge.gif

Cross of Saint George
[SIZE=+1]The Cross of Saint George (England) c1277[/SIZE]The idea of using a flag was first brought back to England by the returning Crusaders who saw red pennants with white crosses being used in Genoa. The legend that Richard the Lionhearted was the first to use the red cross of St. George is probably untrue. In fact, in Richard's time the English Crusaders wore white crosses, the French red, and the Flemings green. However, the Cross of St. George became one of the national emblems of England as early as 1277. In 1497, the St. George's Cross flag was flown by John and Sebastian Cabot on their voyages from England to explore New Foundland and the North American continent, as well as by other English explorers including Sir Francis Drake, Sir Humphrey Gilbert, and Sir Walter Raleigh. This flag was used by English ships for over 400 years.

Good enough for me. It's our national flag, it makes up part of the Union Jack, and like most other countries in the world who fly their flag, so should we.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
1996 Scotland were in our group. This added significant momentum to the previously gradual trend towards using SGX as a specifically English symbol. Why? Well, we needed to differentiate ourselves from the sweaties. I failed - I married one.

During GSTQ in Miami a couple of weeks ago, local TV zoomed in on the one UJ on show. They (by which I mean pretty much everyone outside the British Isles except for a few cricket playing nations) don't even connect SGX with England, let alone racism. I would suggest.

Agree the jocks changed from the union flag with scotland on it to their own and we followed suit as far as I can remember. I'm living with a sweaty as well. Is yours mad? Hope they get independence I can send her back

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The whole "it's been hijacked by racists" thing is utter nonsence. That attitude is just a reflection of people's own insecurities. It isn't possible to hijack a flag, the only hijack is of people's minds.

I've no doubt that many people have thought "I hope nobody thinks I'm racist" when putting up a flag. I seriously doubt anybody has looked at someone flying the flag and instantly thought "racist". The whole situation has been talked up out of nothing until people actually believed it. Absolute madnes.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We, as in my friends and I, were flying St Georges flag at Italia 90, and it was not a far right political statement.

Looking back through my photos from Italia 90, I took my Union Flag, and if you look at the highlights of the games they were certainly significantly more prominent than the St.George Cross.

By Euro 96 it was pretty much 100% St George Cross at England games.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The whole "it's been hijacked by racists" thing is utter nonsence. That attitude is just a reflection of people's own insecurities. It isn't possible to hijack a flag, the only hijack is of people's minds.

I've no doubt that many people have thought "I hope nobody thinks I'm racist" when putting up a flag. I seriously doubt anybody has looked at someone flying the flag and instantly thought "racist". The whole situation has been talked up out of nothing until people actually believed it. Absolute madnes.

Spot on.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I don't see the Union Flag as racist, and proudly flew it during The Olympics.

I don't see the Cross of St. George as racist and am proudly flying it during The World Cup.

I am English, and British. How can flying our National Flag be considered as racist?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Looking back through my photos from Italia 90, I took my Union Flag, and if you look at the highlights of the games they were certainly significantly more prominent than the St.George Cross.

By Euro 96 it was pretty much 100% St George Cross at England games.

Just as well we didn't have these plums trying to insinuate certain things in those days when OUR national flag was heavily on display, otherwise the timid and easily offended might never have flown them.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Agree the jocks changed from the union flag with scotland on it to their own and we followed suit as far as I can remember. I'm living with a sweaty as well. Is yours mad? Hope they get independence I can send her back

Having spent a fair amount of time in Wales, mainly working, the Welsh flag is displayed from many buildings, i thought it was great, did not feel they were being racist, never crossed my mind. I reckon both the Welsh and Scottish are just pleased to see their national flag on display.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The union Flag is a fantastic design simple but effective bringing together of all the flags to form the jack - I love it now its lost most of its racist attachment

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Surely a lot of the blame lies with sections of the right wing press who will run with nonsense stories about being accused of racism for flying a flag? And, not that I'm accusing NSC of being a section of the right wing press ;) I remember some joker coming on here once making up some bullshit about not being able to fly his England flag. It's a bit like the old Christmas decorations debate.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Don't know about the flag but nice to see folks wearing suits to football, even the young 'uns.

be even nicer to see more of the flags in the photo apart from just one the right way up

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

because despite all the delusional and made up responses, most people in the world have no idea at all what the st georges cross is in relation to England. You see the union jack on t shirts etc all around the world its a design icon, and instantly associated by Britain and England, again a distinction much clearer to us than it is overseas where people generally see England and Britain as interchangeable, and couldnt give a monkeys about our post devolution identity struggles.

i struggle to believe everyones foreign friends have any association at all with either flag and small far right British movements. I really am baffled by some of the stuff I read on here sometimes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here