Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Empty Seats

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is a bloke near the front of West Stand Lower B who give it loads during the game, is part of the 'come on' film before the game but always slopes off early. May have a good reason of course but you wouldn't pay £40+ and leave a film or play early.

But with a film or play, you're not as likely to be in the middle of nowhere with 25,000 people all trying to get away at the same time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The club would not be able to sanction supporters giving tickets to anyone so I suspect if they got to hear of fans printing tickets and giving them to anyone they would soon have to stop the service. How could they ensure no one with a banning order wasn't getting into the ground.

Did those empty seats really affect the atmosphere that much?

Instead of spending time checking the empty seats at the game, watch the match!!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The club would not be able to sanction supporters giving tickets to anyone so I suspect if they got to hear of fans printing tickets and giving them to anyone they would soon have to stop the service. How could they ensure no one with a banning order wasn't getting into the ground.

Did those empty seats really affect the atmosphere that much?

Instead of spending time checking the empty seats at the game, watch the match!!!!

If it was done through the club cancelling the ST for that particular game and sending an e mail with a print at home ticket there would be no problem especially if one of the conditions was that if there was a contravention of rules like non concession use of a concession ticket action would be taken against the STH people would then be careful who they loaned their seat to. I believe it was suggested that a £5 charge be made for this service and they could insert a time limit like up to midday the day before the game that would help people who know in advance they cant attend.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Loads of empty seats with 10 minutes to go. Can't believe after a performance like that you'd not stay to clap the team off, head into the north, have another pint and carry on enjoying what was an amazing day to be an Albion fan.

There is life after the Albion you know. I have a 7 month old lad so I boot off bang on the final whistle to get home asap to see him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What is this obsession with attendances since we moved to the Amex. :shrug: Then we get the super fans wondering why more people attend a match against Norwich or Villa than Burton (Are you really that thick) ???

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
What is this obsession with attendances since we moved to the Amex. :shrug: Then we get the super fans wondering why more people attend a match against Norwich or Villa than Burton (Are you really that thick) ???
It is so we can point out what a massive club we are, as far as I can gather. Funnily enough the obsession disappeared a bit when the crowds dipped under Hyypia

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's now a new thing though is it? Football fans have been interested in crowds for pretty much ever. It's why an attendance is nearly always printed or displayed alongside a match result.

The attendance has absolutely nothing to do with the sporting result of a game but people are interested.

You may not be, which is fine, but plenty of others are.

I get why ticket sales are reported by the Albion, as it puts us on the same measurement as most other clubs, but I also understand the frustration of purists who expect an attendance to actually relate to the number of attendees.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It's now a new thing though is it? Football fans have been interested in crowds for pretty much ever. It's why an attendance is nearly always printed or displayed alongside a match result.

The attendance has absolutely nothing to do with the sporting result of a game but people are interested.

I get why ticket sales are reported by the Albion, as it puts us on the same measurement as most other clubs, but I also understand the frustration of purists who expect an attendance to actually relate to the number of attendees.

Ironic that the Club (allegedly) always lowballed the attendance back in the day when cash was king :whistle:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Interest is one thing but all the moralizing about season ticket seat usage and attendance calculations is a whole different kettle of fish..........

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

The precision and accuracy of these past historical numbers are gauged by whom? We all hear of jumpers over the turnstiles and slipping the bloke a few coins in order to get in.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Get used to it folks... with the new club regime of not allowing STH to pass their tickets on to friends and family if they re unable to attend in person. :nono:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This was sent to me a while back in relation to an FOI request to B&H Council as to true Amex attendances. Quite a remarkable load of bollocks...

Please find set out below the information in response to the above request:

The information you have requested regarding capacity figures for the Amex Stadium’s actual attendance figures for the current 2015-16 season is held by Brighton & Hove City Council but is being withheld because we consider that the exemption under Section 43 (2) of the Act applies to the information.

Section 43 (2) of the Act provides an exemption from disclosure of information which would be likely to prejudice the commercial interests of any person (including those of the Council and other businesses).

A commercial interest can arise in a number of different circumstances. However, in broad terms, a commercial interest relates to any person's ability to buy or sell goods or services or to operate effectively without undermining its trading position.

In considering the exemptions at section 43(2) we have considered the balance of the public interest arguments for and against disclosure. We recognise that there is a public interest in transparency and accountability in public decision making.

We have also considered the public interest in maintaining the exemption in this area. We believe that there is a strong public interest to withhold the information because the Brighton & Hove Albion FC have informed us that the information is used by the caterers and sponsors, who use the attendance information to calculate the value of their sponsorship rights and contracts. Even more significant for the stadium is that other clubs use attendance information to work out the club’s possible future revenues and therefore how much Brighton & Hove Albion will have to spend on player budgets, which is likely to prejudice the team’s competitive edge.

Taking the likely prejudice outlined above into account, we are satisfied that the public interest in withholding the requested information in this respect outweighs the public interest in disclosure.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
tumblr_muoel25YAu1r5lqijo1_500.gif

Hmmmmm....really?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interest is one thing but all the moralizing about season ticket seat usage and attendance calculations is a whole different kettle of fish..........

Exactly this. Most are interested to learn of the attendance but to some it seems like an obsession, both in the run up to the game seeing how many tickets are sold then at the game itself counting those that haven't turned up.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Load of rowlocks isn't it? You can calculate the real attendance with an informed study of the crowd and empty seats....many on NSC do it most games. Anybody with a real interest and armed with a clicker counter would get it very close. That's not a suggestion to anybody but rather to say its really not a great trade secret.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Exactly this. Most are interested to learn of the attendance but to some it seems like an obsession, both in the run up to the game seeing how many tickets are sold then at the game itself counting those that haven't turned up.

Yes, do agree that the attendance figure does hold interest, but there is no need to go overboard and count seats etc, but if that is what some fans want to do, then so be it. Seeing the stadium sell out, does add to the level of excitement, which can of course transmit itself to the pitch. I normally don't bother with it too much, but, given the lure of a top-of-the-table clash last Saturday, and looking over to 1901 and seeing all those empty seats was indeed disappointing, as some fans could not get a ticket, who might have wanted to. But they pay lots and it is their prerogative not to attend, and of course it was half term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here