Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Empty Seats

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes, looking over from ESU, I too was amazed and if am honest rather disappointed at the many empty seats in this area. Several posters have explained that lending out your ticket is not always practical, if you are far away, and there may be many other valid reasons, to be fair, but surprising nonetheless.

I think the club told us there was around a 75% take up of renewals in the 1901 areas after the 5 years were up, I don't think all those that weren't renewed were resold to new 'members'. There are a couple of seats right near us that have been empty all season so far.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Maybe if Barber stopped inflating the attendance (OED definition: [noun]The number of people present at a particular place or event. My emphasis) we would have a far better idea of how many seats were not occupied at any given match.

I've still no clue why it is done. Trying to fool the advertisers / sponsors is the only reason I can think of. But they aint gonna be that stupid.
But that's what it is. Announcing a meaningless pretendance instead of the actual crowd size is a laughably blatant fraud that enables clubs (seems like they all do it) to claim non-existent advertising eyeballs to their advertisers and sponsors. To whose benefit, I wonder? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But that's what it is. Announcing a meaningless pretendance instead of the actual crowd size is a laughably blatant fraud that enables clubs (seems like they all do it) to claim non-existent advertising eyeballs to their advertisers and sponsors. To whose benefit, I wonder? ???

Isnt this done because they have to pay Input VAT on the actual money they receive?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I'd like to see attendance announced as being those physically present plus no shows as a secondary figure.

I believe this is the system used in some American sports.

el punal

Indeed. However, I opened this thread to comment on how, looking down from my front row WSU seat, I was amazed at how many 1901 middle tier seats were empty on Saturday.

Perhaps Delia was doing a cooking demonstration in the 1901 kitchen, whilst her team were being comprehensively spit roasted on the pitch.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think they should announce the amount in the ground every 10 minutes and back this up up with a bar graph on the big screens!

I agree. Plus they should provide a breakdown of catering sales by product category. This could be a pie chart.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
That is what I went dressed as.

Sexy%20Empty%20Seat%20Page-3.jpg

I was not happy when many thought it funny to slam the seat closed.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Its a matter of pride:moo:

What do you mean pride? Don't you take pride in our magnificent football club; the stadium and performance of the players on the pitch, pride in the manager and chairman? Every one knows its tickets sold and who really gives a flying fig for the actual bums on seats figure! Just a few anally retentive twits if you ask me!

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Very suprised how many empty seats against Norwich. Fully understand not been able to go but cannot undrstand not passing ticket on. I go with 4 others and if we cant go tickets are always sold or given to someone. I have 3/4 people that cant go all the time are pleased to buy when i cant go. If not i give to someone that cant afford it. Not one of our seats has ever been empty

According to Paul Barber this is illegal, and anybody found doing so will receive a lifetime stadium ban, and potential legal charges.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Loads of empty seats with 10 minutes to go. Can't believe after a performance like that you'd not stay to clap the team off, head into the north, have another pint and carry on enjoying what was an amazing day to be an Albion fan.

Have to agree with this. Not going to have a go at anyone, especially with kids, trying to beat the rush as I've done it myself. But the East Stand was probably half full at the final whistle, it's just a real shame that the players don't get that ovation from a full stadium due to transport quick exit issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here