Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not when your Xmas shopping has half the items missing it isn't. Happened to a friend of mine today - she is currently driving around Oxfordshire trying to find a Turkey :)
This. During covid times we had online and the constant items missing, poor substitutions and short dates were a pain

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All good from Sainsbury’s delivery today 🫡

Did the veg shop at Kinsbrook farm shop yesterday , picked up the rib of beef from Trenchmore on the way back

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I mostly do home deliveries now but had to brave the craziness today as couldn't get a slot.
I'm terrible with scan as you go as forget to scan every item or the kids insist on scanning & mess it up too. 😬 I'm too used to just chucking it on the trolley.
Re elderly people, I really don't get them doing the shop on a weekend when most working folk need to do there's. There's 5 week days when the shops are a lot less busy. Never quite worked that out?
This thread was started on a Friday ! What do you mean by elderly anyway ? There’s plenty of elderly people working and very busy on weekdays. Just live and let live and concentrate on your own shopping.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
This thread was started on a Friday ! What do you mean by elderly anyway ? There’s plenty of elderly people working and very busy on weekdays. Just live and let live and concentrate on your own shopping.
Neville don't worry, none of the posters are going to march to stop the elderly being able to shop over the weekend, chain their trolleys to shelves or knock them down during a trolley dash. It is just an observation. I for one will be hitting the quieter periods when I hang up my boots. Re what defines elderly (in the post title), I'd say anyone retired.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't forget the lottery tickets.....
If you're really lucky they will pay with cash and slowly count all their change to get the exact amount....... in a card only check out.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I normally shop during the day Monday to Friday when it's quiet rather than battle through a packed shop and leave plenty of time to wander round.

I have a shopping list, but for meals, I tend to see what I like the look of and, as a result often have to double back (find a tasty bit of Lamb, go back for Leeks, Skate wings on offer, find the Samphire, a nice pancetta will set me off getting Spinach and Mozzarella to make a Pizza, etc) sometimes 'parking my trolley' somewhere out the way.

I check the sell by dates and take the ones which will last longest. I tend to go up and down all the food aisles in case I see something I fancy even if there's nothing on the shopping list for those aisles.

I always go to a manned till, as I feel like I'm putting people out of work if I self scan, or self checkout, and I happily chat to the person serving me.

I actually quite enjoy food shopping, I think I may be getting old :wink:

But, I don't buy lottery tickets, wander off from the till, block aisles and always have my card ready to pay and am quite quick packing :thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just seen someone got turkey ham substituted for a whole turkey 😂😂😂

How are people not pre ordering meat

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
IMG_1324.jpeg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Neville don't worry, none of the posters are going to march to stop the elderly being able to shop over the weekend, chain their trolleys to shelves or knock them down during a trolley dash. It is just an observation. I for one will be hitting the quieter periods when I hang up my boots. Re what defines elderly (in the post title), I'd say anyone retired.
:) You never know with NSC !!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, we have @jcdenton08 with half the items missing from his Xmas lunch due to poor planning or @jakarta with his new tripled credit card limit. I know who’s house I’d want to be invited to :LOL:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you're really lucky they will pay with cash and slowly count all their change to get the exact amount....... in a card only check out.
Bane of my life, I pop into the Newsagents for a paper and some oik has a dozen he needs checking out.

And then he buys a load more... :facepalm:
Speaking for a friend..........
They know an elderly chap who buys scratch cards and scrapes them to death in their car.
The floor looks like an aftermath of a psoriasis itch
:sick:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just for the record, I know we'll all get old eventually and end up dribbling, pissing and kicking our pants.
But..........
In our local Waitrose they have something called self service express tills, where I've grasped the idea it's for people with a minimal basket of goodies who can pay in a short time and get home etc....
Every time we go into shop there, go to that express till, there's always the archetypal codger with a trolley full of shopping who then scans each item with the pace of a snail.
And this just drives me nuts 😱

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not for the first time, saw someone taking double cream from someone else's trolley yesterday, there was none left on the shelf.

How does that work if you're self scanning?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Not for the first time, saw someone taking double cream from someone else's trolley yesterday, there was none left on the shelf.

How does that work if you're self scanning?
ahh, nice too see the spirit of kindness to all hasn’t disappeared from our caring society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here