Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I know!!! Me and my other half watch the Christmas Partridge stuff every year. 28 years is astonishing.

I think it works because he revolves, but he doesn’t evolve

And vice versa
I know I just referred to my girlfriend as “the other half”, but I’m not gay. I guess you’d call me a “homosceptic”.

I love how Alan is everything Coogan hates. It’s just brilliant writing. He makes his point without forcing it down your neck.

Partridge is everything Coogan hates, and has somehow made a really loveable and popular character out of everything he despises.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It is Raquel Welch of course and one of the most bizarre photos you can find of her are with Fred Trueman (!) at their respective childrens wedding.

I believe he got some tap about it on TMS... :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I know I just referred to my girlfriend as “the other half”, but I’m not gay. I guess you’d call me a “homosceptic”.

I love how Alan is everything Coogan hates. It’s just brilliant writing. He makes his point without forcing it down your neck.

Partridge is everything Coogan hates, and has somehow made a really loveable and popular character out of everything he despises.
The lesson to be learnt from this is: don't ever get your props and special effects made by White City Pryotechnics. White City Pyrotechnics are run by twits.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The lesson to be learnt from this is: don't ever get your props and special effects made by White City Pryotechnics. White City Pyrotechnics are run by twits.
I'd like four glitter explosions, 12 puff flashes. So: the sequence should be puff, flash, puff, flash, BANG. Basically, I want a condensed Pink Floyd concert for £500.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
"There's 5 week days when the shops are a lot less busy. Never quite worked that out?"

Took me about five readings to work out what you two were on about - I couldn't see anything wrong with the above!
@wellquickwoody was too quick resulting in poor grammar equal to my poor grammar. We can both enrol onto an adult learning course.
@BBassic is the educated one for sure. I love the correction 👍 🙂 I believe the kids would say woody was roasted there.
Being critical of one self, I should've used there are 5 week days and not there's 5 week days. Lucky for me I have a copy writer to take care of all of this in my day job!
There are many educated people on this forum who know their grammar. Myself and @wellquickwoody need a refresh. 😁

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have absolutely loved this thread. Felt a little nostalgic for the M&S mad shop but that’s OK.
I’m now a retiree and yesterday, Saturday, I drove up to my Tesco equivalent at around 09.30 and parked in the half-empty car park. I grabbed a trolley, strolled around the fruit and veg and selected everything I needed. Wandered around the store for anything else I’d forgotten, chatted with a couple of people, went straight to a checkout, paid up (with my phone which was in my back pocket) loaded the car and drove home. Not once did my trolley come within 10 feet of another one!
In the afternoon, a quick trip to the GP to get a prescription, chatted with him for a while about our respective Christmas plans and all the time the sun shone in a bright blue sky😎
And every day you'll convince yourself you made the right decision.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Their’s

"There's 5 week days when the shops are a lot less busy. Never quite worked that out?"

Took me about five readings to work out what you two were on about - I couldn't see anything wrong with the above!

@wellquickwoody was too quick resulting in poor grammar equal to my poor grammar. We can both enrol onto an adult learning course.
@BBassic is the educated one for sure. I love the correction 👍 🙂 I believe the kids would say woody was roasted there.
Being critical of one self, I should've used there are 5 week days and not there's 5 week days. Lucky for me I have a copy writer to take care of all of this in my day job!
There are many educated people on this forum who know their grammar. Myself and @wellquickwoody need a refresh. 😁
Being a bit of a pedant myself I had to have a look!
I think @wellquickwoody was referring to the bit in the original post about folk out doing their shopping as opposed to how many days there were to do it in!
But who cares? It’s Christmas🎅🏼🎄 Have a great time everyone🎉

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Being a bit of a pedant myself I had to have a look!
I think @wellquickwoody was referring to the bit in the original post about folk out doing their shopping as opposed to how many days there were to do it in!
But who cares? It’s Christmas🎅🏼🎄 Have a great time everyone🎉
Yes - they were! It's just I couldn't see it - all I could see was the second there's. It always amazes me how your eyes/mind can automatically change spelling mistakes to what the word is meant to be, without any conscious action. Even when you are specifically looking for it. It wasn't till five years after I completed my thesis that I spotted a spelling error on the contents page!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
f*** me, this generation blame culture has to stop. I played bowls this morning, and had to put up with the other 5 people, all 60+, moaning about "young people" based on the experience of one of them in a local shopping centre. I get home, check NSC, and see this nonsense about how terrible old people are in supermarkets. Now I turn to the Guardian and see this rubbish about who’s to blame for cocaine use among the young (not the people who consume it, no, that would be far too simple).

Do people ever stop to think that individual people create problems, and just because they belong to a certain demographic, that doesn’t mean that most people in that demographic are to blame? It’s not black people or middle-aged women living in the Home Counties or Moslems or old white men or Irish people or public sector workers or Chelsea fans (blah….) who are the ones to point the finger at. It’s the people who do questionable things who are to blame, not people who are the same age or same colour, sexuality, nationality, whatever.

Thanj you for listening.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I don't intend to go anyway near a Supermarket tomorrow. People loading up trolleys because they can't shop for TWO days...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
f*** me, this generation blame culture has to stop. I played bowls this morning, and had to put up with the other 5 people, all 60+, moaning about "young people" based on the experience of one of them in a local shopping centre. I get home, check NSC, and see this nonsense about how terrible old people are in supermarkets. Now I turn to the Guardian and see this rubbish about who’s to blame for cocaine use among the young (not the people who consume it, no, that would be far too simple).

Do people ever stop to think that individual people create problems, and just because they belong to a certain demographic, that doesn’t mean that most people in that demographic are to blame? It’s not black people or middle-aged women living in the Home Counties or Moslems or old white men or Irish people or public sector workers or Chelsea fans (blah….) who are the ones to point the finger at. It’s the people who do questionable things who are to blame, not people who are the same age or same colour, sexuality, nationality, whatever.

Thanj you for listening.

Did you read the cocaine article or just the title?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanj you for listening.

What’s this got to do with the thread? Has @jcdenton08 forgotten to plan ahead for his Christmas chisel as well?

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Ive given this a good 30 seconds of thought and I propose a simple 2/3 stage summary punishment system.
Obstructing aisles - 1 hour in the stocks.
Causing checkout delays - Saudi style flogging in the car park.
Minor dawdling offences could be dealt with on the spot by a fixed penalty cattle prodding.

If that doesn't sort it I don't know what will.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't intend to go anyway near a Supermarket tomorrow. People loading up trolleys because they can't shop for TWO days...
Two days!!! Asda Hollingbury will be open 9-6pm Boxing Day 😂

Btw if anyone needs anything Christmas Day the M & S mini stores within BP Garages such as Pyecombe, Lewes Road and Hove will be open Christmas Day 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
And what would you do if say, potatoes and stuffing for your roast dinner on Christmas Day didn’t arrive?
As someone else on here I do the shop over 2 deliveries so anything that doesn't turn up in the 1st is added to the 2nd. I also pre-ordered the turkey. I was very happy to see on my order receipts that everything I ordered was going to be delivered, until it the final shop was delivered yesterday.... there was a distinct lack of my pre-ordered turkey! :shootself I said a lot of swear words to myself, opened a beer in preparation to call the local store. I was given the managers extension number 4 completely missed deliveries ago. My phone rang, I saw it was the store number and answered the call by saying, 'please tell me you've got my turkey'. They said they would deliver it by 11pm! I rang back and someone agreed to bring it b4 then as I live quite close to the store. Home deliveries manager dropped it off at 8pm when he finished his shift. I've never been so happy to see a turkey! :blush:
I can't deal with going to the store anymore, I haven't noticed it being a particular demographic that annoy me but I end up leaving the store frustrated that people seem really stupid. I'm always very polite, smile & say 'excuse me please'. I do scan and go, as soon as I walk into the 'go' section the first thing I do is ask someone to verify that I'm old, and it's all done quickly. I still leave really stressed and perplexed at the stupidity and general lack of awareness from some people. I only go if I really, really, really have to.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Two days!!! Asda Hollingbury will be open 9-6pm Boxing Day 😂

Btw if anyone needs anything Christmas Day the M & S mini stores within BP Garages such as Pyecombe, Lewes Road and Hove will be open Christmas Day 🤦‍♀️
Thanks for the heads up. We don't actually need anything but we'll do a round trip to compare what they've got - up to Pyecombe first, then back round the bypass to Lewes Road, then across town to Hove, then back home to Patcham for a lovely cup of tea. That's our Christmas entertainment sorted. (y)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here