El-Abd is urged to sign Albion deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
DK said: "It has been on the table for some time and we hope he signs it soon."

It is quite emotive and something that doesnt lend itself well to negotiation.

Change 'on the table for sometime' to 'stalling' then to 'disloyal' then to 'greedy'.

Already this thread has people questioning El-Abd's ability etc.

I think it is divisive by the Chairman and something he has previous !!

Players interpret everything that is said by coaching staff and chairman, to not understand that is to not understand football.

So, you admit it - you make things up as you go along. You've taken a magic leap from 'a deal is on the table' to 'that El-Abd is being treacherous' because, er, you can. Good one. However, back in the real world 'a deal is on the table and has been for quite a while' is all we actually know. If you want to make things up, go for it. But seeing as - like the rest of us - you DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON, your opinion - based as it is on 'true belief' - will be largely considered with the derision it is getting. Thankfully.

Meanwhile, once again, you haven't answered my question. What part of the negotiation has been made public?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I am not too sure why he felt compelled to comment, but since he did he could of made a 100 other quotes that might of been helpful rather than risking mis-interpretation.

I suspect the player feels that the deal hasnt been on the table THAT long and it might imply that he is stalling etc...etc....

every quote will risk misinterpretation. hell you're doing that here to what many are saying.

The club HAS to cover that it has made an offer in a timely fashion otherwise people will claim they didn't

Just listen to those on here who claimed that because Mark McGhee didn't sign someone on transfer deadline day nearly 2 seasons ago that it meant DK didn't have his phone on. It happens and the argus has been banging on about el abd for a while. The club obviously wnat to keep him and have said son. Nowhere has anybody been critical of el-abd.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't think he was unsettled. My reading of what he said earlier about his contract negotiations was that he didn't want to discuss it until the end of the season because he wanted to concentrate on getting the Albion into the play-offs, and didn't want to be distracted. Obviously now he is injured and we are not going to make the play-offs he is free to start negotiation. The fact he doesn't accept the first offer doesn't make him unsettled or a traitor.

I hope he signs. I would play him in the centre of defence in front of both Lynch and Butters.

What a relief that you don't pick the team,,,

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody right I am!

Not for the sake of running down Elphick, but he's still learning his trade really. For all the raves he might receive on NSC, followed by "how are we going to keep him here?" accolades - he's really not the finished article, and when you notice opposition attackers breezing past/through our defense like they aren't there, it's underlined.

Taking into account the fact that these attackers are 1st Division players too - I just do not see our young defenders taking the ball off them with ease and regularity.
Indeed, the best of the lot is el-Abd up to now. No Lawrenson yet, but good and getting better.
It's immaterial as to how he looked when playing in the Championship, because he's only 21 now, and getting better by the week.
As I'm an Albion fan, I not only hope that will continue, but that Elphick will improve too.

Flashes of good play from Elphick, but consistently good and reliable performances from el-Abd, make him a real asset to the side that is hard to replace or displace.

That is really VERY funny... Lawrenson and El-Abd mentioned in the same breath...

Elphick is also clearly a better player than El-Abd... he is far more assured, and El-Abd's mistakes are glaringly obviois to most but, apparently, not you...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
what I dont understand is that there are better right backs at the club than him, there are better centre backs at the club than him and there are better central midfielders at the club than him, yet we still seem to be worse off without him.

I dont think he should start as he always makes stupid mistakes, but we seem to play better with him in the team.

From what I understand he is already on £100k a year so he must be one of the higher earners before his contract improvement negotiations

That's a remarkable deal when put alongside the 2006 salary survey.

We must be one of the best payers in the league.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So, you admit it - you make things up as you go along. You've taken a magic leap from 'a deal is on the table' to 'that El-Abd is being treacherous' because, er, you can. Good one. However, back in the real world 'a deal is on the table and has been for quite a while' is all we actually know. If you want to make things up, go for it. But seeing as - like the rest of us - you DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON, your opinion - based as it is on 'true belief' - will be largely considered with the derision it is getting. Thankfully.

Meanwhile, once again, you haven't answered my question. What part of the negotiation has been made public?

I would love to say priceless ... but it has been used ....poorely ...

You kinda left out for 'some time' ...... :lolol:

Which really is the emotive bit ......

Now hows this ...the deal has been on the table for a few weeks .... tops ....!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
every quote will risk misinterpretation. hell you're doing that here to what many are saying.

The club HAS to cover that it has made an offer in a timely fashion otherwise people will claim they didn't

Just listen to those on here who claimed that because Mark McGhee didn't sign someone on transfer deadline day nearly 2 seasons ago that it meant DK didn't have his phone on. It happens and the argus has been banging on about el abd for a while. The club obviously wnat to keep him and have said son. Nowhere has anybody been critical of el-abd.

Look it aint that difficult to make guarded quotes that are unlikley to upset the player in question .... it might frustrate us fans .... but would be beneficial to the team ... undoubted.

You might breathe on club gossip, but I like the playing staff to have every opportunity to be successful.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

WHAT !! I honestly thought you had more about you ....... misguided yeah ..... but a thankless fool ........ hmmmmmmmm

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep .... he aint too wrong....... wake up !!

Not sure what the "wake up" comment was for.

I was pointing just out that in comparison to previously published figures it's high.

Perhaps the figures are bullshit.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not sure what the "wake up" comment was for.

I was pointing just out that in comparison to previously published figures it's high.

Perhaps the figures are bullshit.

Brighton continue to be competitive in the salaries offered to players, especially new ones.

I am glad it does.

That is why it is a myth to congratulate DK for dismissing agents and players so readily and then some on here linking his actions to somehow saving the club from financial disaster.

There is no link between DK publicly insulting agents and players, either in public or within the club and keeping the club financially sound.

His actions cause unrest within the playing staff which in turn makes the job more difficult for Wilkins and Co and is likely to effect results on the pitch.

I worry that the El-Abd saga that unecessarily started in the press with falsely claiming 'deal on the table for some time' is going the way of previous failed contract negotiations.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brighton continue to be competitive in the salaries offered to players, especially new ones.

I am glad it does.

That is why it is a myth to congratulate DK for dismissing agents and players so readily and then some on here linking his actions to somehow saving the club from financial disaster.

There is no link between DK publicly insulting agents and players, either in public or within the club and keeping the club financially sound.

His actions cause unrest within the playing staff which in turn makes the job more difficult for Wilkins and Co and is likely to effect results on the pitch.

I worry that the El-Abd saga that unecessarily started in the press with falsely claiming 'deal on the table for some time' is going the way of previous failed contract negotiations.

See - there you go again. You can't resist it.

You don't know what's going on - YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON - no-one does - yet you still value your own 'opinion' highly enough that you feel you can make a judgement about what's going on and who is doing what.

You don't know what's happening. I really wish that could be made clear to you. So who are you to say who's lying and who isn't?

'An offer is on the table..' is not part of the confidential negotiations. So... for the third time, what part of the negotiations have been made public?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
See - there you go again. You can't resist it.

You don't know what's going on - YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON - no-one does - yet you still value your own 'opinion' highly enough that you feel you can make a judgement about what's going on and who is doing what.

You don't know what's happening. I really wish that could be made clear to you. So who are you to say who's lying and who isn't?

'An offer is on the table..' is not part of the confidential negotiations. So... for the third time, what part of the negotiations have been made public?

You really do not know if I know, so dont get so het up because someone offers a view that you feel surpasses you own intimate knowledge of the club.

You keep missing out the Chairman saying that the offer has been on the table 'for some time'.

This is the critical wording and the unhelpful bit.

It can get misinterpreted as 'stalling' etc and the inevitable views voiced here.

Now the player is likely to feel frustrated if his negotiaons are being misrepresented. Players can be a strange creature and they do dissect every word a Manager or a Chairman might say either in private or in press.

Wilkins keeps a respectful silence whilst the Chairman throws hand grenades all over the training pitch.

Now if the offer hasnt even been on the table for any length of time that will increase the frustration and hinder negotiations.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a load of old flannel you come out with BigGully.

You know as much about these negotiations as the rest of us, yet you continue to peddle your own interpretations, nuggets of speculation and amatuer psychoanalysis as though it were fact. Its not. Its bollocks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You really do not know if I know, so dont get so het up because someone offers a view that you feel surpasses you own intimate knowledge of the club.

You keep missing out the Chairman saying that the offer has been on the table 'for some time'.

This is the critical wording and the unhelpful bit.

It can get misinterpreted as 'stalling' etc and the inevitable views voiced here.

Now the player is likely to feel frustrated if his negotiaons are being misrepresented. Players can be a strange creature and they do dissect every word a Manager or a Chairman might say either in private or in press.

Wilkins keeps a respectful silence whilst the Chairman throws hand grenades all over the training pitch.

Now if the offer hasnt even been on the table for any length of time that will increase the frustration and hinder negotiations.
Are you Adam El-Abd? Are you Adam El-Abd's agent? Are you Dick Knight? Are you Dean Wilkins?

If the answer to any of these is 'YES', why are you coming on here lobbing stnk bombs about? If the answer to all four of those is 'NO', you don't have an intimate knowledge of what's going on. At best, it would be second-hand.

Similarly, have you asked Adam El-Abd how he feels about the story? Or about the offer? Or about his personal circumstances?

Judgements based on supposition and 'true belief'. Again.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What a load of old flannel you come out with BigGully.

You know as much about these negotiations as the rest of us, yet you continue to peddle your own interpretations, nuggets of speculation and amatuer psychoanalysis as though it were fact. Its not. Its bollocks.

You never seem to comment on the critical points.

You throw hissy fits because someone offers a view that you beleive might intimate some inside knowledge and this frustrates you.

You may wish to dismiss that I think that the deal has NOT been on the table for any length of time, this might become common knowledge, might not.

But whats your views on the Chairman's actions with players and agents ?

Do you think that Al-Ebd negotiations might be hindered by the Chairman saying those things about the contract ?

How about my views that the Chairmans actions toward 'greedy' players and agents, has no impact on the clubs finances because he then goes and spend more on new 'greedy' players and agents ?

Dont get sooo upset that I offer a view that might scratch the surface at how things happen within many clubs that many fans doubt know about.

You can come back crying 'you dont know anymore than meeeee' but probably lots do.

Say something more tangible, something about the issues, you can choose to dismiss some of my comments that fall into your 'hissy category' but there is plenty more to argue about.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Are you Adam El-Abd? Are you Adam El-Abd's agent? Are you Dick Knight? Are you Dean Wilkins?

If the answer to any of these is 'YES', why are you coming on here lobbing stnk bombs about? If the answer to all four of those is 'NO', you don't have an intimate knowledge of what's going on. At best, it would be second-hand.

Similarly, have you asked Adam El-Abd how he feels about the story? Or about the offer? Or about his personal circumstances?

Judgements based on supposition and 'true belief'. Again.

Thats another hissy ........... come on grow up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports