Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-Abd is urged to sign Albion deal

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Dick Knight has generally done ok with the contract negotiations, and let's face it, the club's still here so he hasn't bust the budget (Luton, Bournemouth, Leeds, Swindon etc etc).

Two players I'd have liked to have seen stay were Hammond and Revell. I’m not sure the full story of Hammond’s departure will ever be clear, and Revell was not about money, but about playing. I rated O’Callaghan whilst he was at the club, but his subsequent comments show him to be a mentalist, and probably divisive.

I hope El Abd signs, but I wouldn’t want to see loads of playing budget tied up in him, when it could go to paying Richards or even Martot, who I think offers more in midfield – which we definitely need.

Basically, I’d sacrifice a utility defender for a good left back or decent midfielder to play next to Thomson (IN 4-4-2 PLEASE DEAN!)

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
The effort he puts in will not make up for his lack of ability if we get higher than division two.

He should sign.

Agree totally. I really like him as far as attiude goes. His problem is basically he is a little too small to be a really effective centre half at a higher level which is hopefully where we will be next year

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Perhaps he just would like a little more money than is currently being offered. Just because a player doesn't sign the first contract offered to them doesn't necessarily mean that he is 'unsettled' or that his agent is beelzebub.

Exactly right ...........

However the first offer from the club should be a fair representation of his worth or it is likely cause some resentment. It is also imperative to try and keep the negotiations in-house and out of the press.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
despite his performances this season, our long term central defensive partnership at this moment in time is elphick and lynch. if he wants guarantees he will be starting at centre back, then it would be very foolish to offer him that

obviously, should one of elphick or lynch go in the summer then that changes things signifcantly. would he play as many games as he has done for us at another club? probably not. would be a very foolish decision for him to leave, unless of course it is down to money again

The lad's ambitious has started to get good reviews; has been abused by Albion "fans" in the past; plays at the worst stadium in the football league.

How dare he look to see if there is anything better :shrug:

Sad indictment Oldman, the pointed irony is only too true.

However - the grass isn't always greener elsewhere except for a VERY few players, and if fans get their heads from their arses and give him the positive attention he richly has deserved, then the stadium would be a fading footnote.

I know this will shock and astound many on here - but I have told him in person, that I highly regard him as a player.
If THAT doesn't keep him in the Albion stripes, then I don't know what can. :blush:

One day meine freunden, el-Abd will be team Kommandant

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
No its not.
He is part of a fairly small squad, and as part of that squad he has to be prepared to be flexible enough to fit into the team wherever Wilkins deploys him. He should consider himself fortunate that Wilkins considers him such an asset to the team to continue picking him. IF he's getting uppity and not signing the contract because he wants to dislodge Elphick or Lynch at CB, then he is a twat, and he can f*** off.

I'm sure that can't be the case though.

Fair enough :bigwave:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
1. From where I'm sitting our prospects for promotion contention in 08/09 look good.

2. He has got to be on the shortlist of potential Albion captain when Forster steps down and, by extension, potentially the man to lead the Albion out at Falmer.

3. Until last season he was very much a reserve team player in a lower half of the table side.

4. Bournemouth are in the shit, so if that's one less South Coast option should things go tits up.

5. Recent history shows that Dick Knight rarely fucks up contract negotiations and many who have left regret it.

There is no reason why a reasonable deal can't be struck. He IS expendable, but I don't want to see him go.

Agree whole-heartedly with you, Pavilionaire. Forster wants to lead us out at Falmer (quoted on Sky's Big League Weekend a few weeks back) so El Abd may not get that honour anyway, but I do like the 'Sussex lads' factor and really hope El Abd joins Elphick in signing (shame Hammond and Harding didn't).

(Agree also with Finchley Seagull)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Of course for all the speculation it could be a simple case of him thinking 'only a couple of games to go f*ck it I'll sit down and have a good think about it at the end of the season'

Nothing wrong with a player weighing up his options after all thats what you do in any job is it not?

Bit early for alarm bells

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
El-Abd has proved capable at League 1 level, and he's only likely to improve. Given the fact we're almost certain of playing in this same division next season I hope DK keeps him. The thing is, if we DO go up I don't think he'll cut it at Championship level.

However, there's quite a few I'd get rid of before him so, on balance, you'd keep him for another 2 years.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
No doubt he is the first of the bunch to receive a late low offer from Knight in the hope that they will accept,he has tried it before, players have left yet he still continues the same policy.
I expect he is still waiting to replace those who do not accept,with yet another cheaper non-league player.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whing, Richards, Thomson, Westlake, Forster, Murray - I'd say Dick Knight is getting something right this season, and I'm sure Messrs Hammond, Savage and O'Callaghan would agree.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Come on Adam put pen to paper, your in a young talented team full of Sussex players like your self all with great prospects. Look forward to seeing you playing at Falmer. Beware your agent does not cock it up.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Come on Adam put pen to paper, your in a young talented team full of Sussex players like your self all with great prospects. Look forward to seeing you playing at Falmer. Beware your agent does not cock it up.

Its gotta depend on what was offered, if its decent then I am sure he will sign.

If it aint and he can get lots more money somewhere else, he might decide to move on.

I dont know where the negotiations are at present, but DK going public worries me.

It looks like DK is setting Adam up for a fall.

You know the one 'those nasty greedy agents' and me the 'tough on nasty greedy agents' !!

Too familiar ............ and you all applaud !!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Its gotta depend on what was offered, if its decent then I am sure he will sign.

If it aint and he can get lots more money somewhere else, he might decide to move on.

I dont know where the negotiations are at present, but DK going public worries me.

You know the one 'those nasty greedy agents' and me the 'tough on nasty greedy agents' !!

Definatly an undertone of this with the club saying how long he has had an offer and using the word 'considoring' the offer.

Can't blame Dick he has finacially managed the club well, especially when loads are going into administration for paying too much in wages.

I hope he is being offered the same as our seasoned pros, he is one of the young lads that has earnt a better wage.

Wow, how lucky we are to have Sherlock Holmes on NSC telling us how sinister Mr Knight is, how he sets players up for a fall and EVERYTHING!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Definatly an undertone of this with the club saying how long he has had an offer and using the word 'considoring' the offer.

Can't blame Dick he has finacially managed the club well, especially when loads are going into administration for paying too much in wages.

I hope he is being offered the same as our seasoned pros, he is one of the young lads that has earnt a better wage.

Al-Ebd is just agreeing terms at the moment, it is always likely that the club will offer terms that are favourable to the club and El-Abd agent will try to negotiate terms that are favourable to Adam.

There should be no reason why an agreement might not be reached, but as soon as the Chairman goes public there is spin and this will only hinder negotiations.

Already people on here are dissecting his ability and loyalty.

El-Abd is just sorting out a new deal and it neednt become too complicated.

I would suspect that Wilkins would want El-Ebd to stay, he has good leadership qualities and you know what your gonna get, he is an asset no doubt, so sort out a deal, its important.

Dont agree that DK has financially managed particularly well, I guess we just financially miss manage then plug the holes with Blooms etc cash, aint that difficult.

He might of managed the long drawn out transition from the Goldstone to Falmer brilliantly, but just lambasting players and agents and then replacing them with similar players with the same financial implications doesnt prove to me that he is financially astute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here