Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early leaving

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I did some research into number of goals, points won lost etc in final five minutes of Albion games. Is in today's Argus. Will dig it out and put it online later as well once I'm home from the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mot really I can see them on seagulls Player or Sky etc.

Leaving 5 mins early can get you home up to an hour earlier than staying and queing.

By that logic, why bother going at all if you think watching it on Sky/Seagulls Player is just as good as seeing goals live?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Yes but that's clearly not what I'm saying though, is it? The players are professionals and should be able to do their jobs without any encouragement or atmosphere in the ground. But anyone who really thinks that the crowd roaring the team on doesn't help them is wrong, especially in the last few minutes when tiredness is creeping in. Of course it doe

What's the strange reason Kev? Let me guess, he's secretly off talking to Leeds / every other club in the Championship / Premier League and he he'll be gone by next week?

I still don't really understand the early leavers. Every evening game I stay until the end and I still get back to my house in North London before midnight. I realise some people have kids with them but if you live in Sussex then you're not going to be home that late. I can't see the point in taking kids to evening games if you're not going to stay the whole game. If its too late from them then don't take them, surely?

Nope not next week Commander....end of the season regardless of what happens with us.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Can I just say that the Seagulls Soapbox article was the most boring thing I have ever read in my life? I honestly tried to read all of it but I was losing the will to live about half way through.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
You shouldn't need a reason to leave early. If you've paid for the ticket you can go into the ground and leave the ground as you please.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Get over it already

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
I agree with you completely, I have had bad experiences in the past leaving after the final whistle so have got into the habit of leaving just about 1 min before the end.

Last Tuesday I thought I would try and see what the bus queues were like when staying til the final whistle.

10.25 I got on the bus freezing my cock off having spent 40 mins in a queue.

Sort the buses out and people will stay to the end.

Exactly this ... People leave early because the transport provided is so poorly organised and arranged

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the most interesting part of the thread. Could you teach us all a simple way to know when to say effect, and when to say affect?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Fairly sure you said that last season.

Your right i did and but for a disastrous end to the season he would have been. His stock fell a bit towards the end of last season and clubs thought twice, wondering is he all that. This time round surely he can't fail to end up top six with the squad he has got, even though he still wants more...He is as good as gone already, trust me...But I know you won't so we will just have to wait and see...Believe me, the love affair is over as far as Poyet is concerned.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No team has ever collapsed in injury time directly because there are 23,000 people at the final whistle as opposed to 28,000. If the Albion fail to score in the final minutes, it's because their decision-making and poise in attack is not good enough, not because they are not spurred on by a loud enough 'Stand Up If You Hate Palace' or 'Go Left' chant.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think i'm over any outrage at the early leavers. Everyone has their own reason and not everyone has to love the Albion the same amount or do a particular act to prove they do. I've never left early and never will, but not everyone is me and nor should they be. We're best off having a range of fans, as long as they keep on coming.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
No team has ever collapsed in injury time directly because there are 23,000 people at the final whistle as opposed to 28,000. If the Albion fail to score in the final minutes, it's because their decision-making and poise in attack is not good enough, not because they are not spurred on by a loud enough 'Stand Up If You Hate Palace' or 'Go Left' chant.

Exactly, people can leave when they want if they've paid for a ticket.

It is no surprise that people left early during Tuesday's bore draw.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your right i did and but for a disastrous end to the season he would have been. His stock fell a bit towards the end of last season and clubs thought twice, wondering is he all that. This time round surely he can't fail to end up top six with the squad he has got, even though he still wants more...He is as good as gone already, trust me...But I know you won't so we will just have to wait and see...Believe me, the love affair is over as far as Poyet is concerned.

Just like Vicente wasn't going to make ten starts in the rest the season last year, eh?

genre b. good

Oct 22, 2012
This is not another attempt to start a pointless debate, nor have a go at anyone. For those of you who don't have an important reason to leave early, PLEASE stay til the final whistle today. It's a massive game and the lads need our support. :bhasign:

So, if, on the stroke of 80 minutes, Leicester bang in their 8th goal without reply you think the lads need us there?

As I have pointed out before if you went to watch a film at the cinema you would not leave ten minutes before the end of the film so why football?

If the film was shit I would leave earlier than ten minutes before the end. But films are completely different because they are (generally) set up to tell a narrative with a denounement in the last ten minutes - football is not like that at all, the majority of games are essentially over by the last ten minutes.

This is a something that I think Gus could actually help with. If he came out in his press conference before the game and said "guys, we really need you out there, if we're desperate for a goal in the last minute then please don't leave early, it genuinely helps the players, they need you there until the end, roaring them on and forcing that ball into the net", some people would listen. A lot more than will listen to anyone posting it on here, anyway.

He won't do that because I don't think he, or the players, actually give much of a shit, they are generally pretty focussed on the game itself and probably don't notice. If they did care then I honestly think they would've said something.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
if some people leave 5 minutes before the end they get home about 1.5 hours earlier.....then have more of a saturday night.....the problem is not the people - its the transport......saying that - today is important to stay if we are losing or drawing......must deject the players seeing people leave compared to a massive surge of support at 85 mins.

This!

Leaving early is the symptom. The underlying problem is the transport.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As I have pointed out before if you went to watch a film at the cinema you would not leave ten minutes before the end of the film so why football?

I'm guessing most people don't do park n ride to the cinema ..don't find a massive queue at bus stop or park miles away or pay £13 for the privilege of parking nearer..

Ps I don't leave early..but then I go on my own and please myself

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I did some research into number of goals, points won lost etc in final five minutes of Albion games. Is in today's Argus. Will dig it out and put it online later as well once I'm home from the game.

From 85min or five min before final whistle?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here