Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy - Season Long Loan To Celtic Confirmed

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is one that would suit player and club BTW and first heard whispers of it a couple of weeks ago. Think it will happen if terms suit everyone. Covid will mean almost any rumour is on dodgy ground until the player is holding up the shirt, however.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
As his contract still has three years to run, a drop in value isn't a huge issue. Probably best to get him off our wage costs this season and sell him at the end of the season when the Covid financial issues have lessened. Also by going to Celtic we aren't selling him to a competitor.
Finally, I think big Shane would see it as a dream move which I'm pleased about.

On another note, it does appear as if transfer activity is down at present. No one wanting to help others to clear their decks of unwanted players. Eg Chelsea saying they need to sell before they buy. I don't see a queue for those Chelsea players Frank wants out.
Palace, no one seemingly keen on Zaha meaning that they can't buy a replacement.
I think we are better placed than most.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If I remember right, we signed Duffy immediately after he'd had an absolute mare of a game. Wasn't it something like two own goals and a red card? Didn't put us off, which was an excellent show of faith.

I think this may have been Duffy's way of suggesting a move was a good idea to the bosses at Blackburn.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is one that would suit player and club BTW and first heard whispers of it a couple of weeks ago. Think it will happen if terms suit everyone. Covid will mean almost any rumour is on dodgy ground until the player is holding up the shirt, however.

Think you're about right with that.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If he doesn't play for us again, he'll have made his first and last appearances against the same club in a different division. I wonder if that's happened before?!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We seem to loan for one of three reasons (under which Duffy to Celtic falls into number 2)

1) To develop young U23s with a view to getting them nearer the first team (or profitable sale)
2) In case we need them back for a season in the Championship (otherwise known as the Knockaert / Elephant in the Room option)
3) Because we bought someone with no chance of getting a work permit

Or like 2) we might want them back if the manager goes

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
WHAT a signing Duffy would be for Celtic.

Too good for SPL.

I rate Goldson & Balogun highly but Duffy would surely be the best defender in Scotland and possibly, the best player if Edouard left.

On that note, I do hope we are after Odsonne. Celtic don’t need him anymore as they have signed Ajeti and should announce Tovey soon (once Odsonne has gone).

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...-have-agreed-deal-sell-ivan-toney-2939575?amp

Signing Celtic’s star man would almost guarantee us avoiding the relegation battle IMHO.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Looks like we will be as popular with Celtic fans as with Leeds.
Club reportedly asking £2m loan fee. Celtic fans “shocked”
Maybe better to ignore the player’s preference and sell him to WBA for £10m

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Looks like we will be as popular with Celtic fans as with Leeds.
Club reportedly asking £2m loan fee. Celtic fans “shocked”
Maybe better to ignore the player’s preference and sell him to WBA for £10m

Tricky this one...Would love the big guy to go to boyhood club etc as he deserves it. However, a loan (including a 2 mill fee)doesn't really add to our transfer war chest much as much as a well needed 10 mill sale that could be put towards a striker... (Ignoring wages off books etc.)

However, a loan to Celtic does mean that we don't strengthen any of our rivals..WBA/Burnley etc...

Either way sad to see him go..

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
What would selling or loaning Duffy have to do with dunk?

Because to turn down a fee for a player who will be worth less in 12 months time tells me that we have someone else off to raise some funds and don’t want to sell Duffy in case White isn’t up to it next season.

Just a feeling, based on no more than that.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I interpreted it as Celtic fans being shocked by the loan fee quoted. Its Celtic who want the loan. Not sure we have turned down a fee anywhere

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Because to turn down a fee for a player who will be worth less in 12 months time tells me that we have someone else off to raise some funds and don’t want to sell Duffy in case White isn’t up to it next season.

We don’t need the money so can’t see that being the case. I expect a year in a different league for Duffy - and particularly playing CL football may well mean that he’s actually worth more to us in a years time. Can’t see him losing value unless he has a shocker up there.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Garbage. Haven't you watched last season at all ? Duffy simply isn't a Potter style of player. Great player Duffy in the right setup just not Potterball.

I think Duffy would suit Burnley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here